Hey im american too lets be best friends

msnerdybirdy

Feb 13, 2012
Even though I have spent quite some time in SD. I can?t help but notice that I have not made any american friends! Only halfies, half american and half dominican, but have spent all their lives in DR. I am getting to that stage where I need some social time with people around my age and most importantly can relate to living so far away. I have a lot of dominican friends, but no matter how much english even my boyfriend or my friends understand, they still dont ?understand?.. if you know what i mean.. . I am in my early 20s. Female with an outrageous personality (youve been warned), and all the way from California. I was thinking about attending a christian church or dipping my way into a english bible study but i dont know when and where in Santo Domingo english services are held. My spanish is not quite up to par for attending a regular service. Believe me, I have tried. Do you know of any churches with english services??
I thought that if i got a job in a bilingual school that it would help.. but at this colegio in particular the only expat is a haitian. Ive taken spanish classes but only have met haitians. Ive tried to go malls but when I was staring at some guy with a painters outfit on in a bank.. i thought, oh an american, but was scolded by mi novio that i shouldnt stare.. (gets easily jealous) I live in Domingo Este but I have learned to travel in public cars since my first month in DR..so location is not important to me. Anyways even if someone knows a chill place to kickit with other americans, Id be a huge fan of some positive feed back. Please no booing.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Welcome to DR1! Good luck finding Americans. They're around but I think most are a bit older than you. Criss Colon has been organizing lunch get togethers.

Last edited:

DAvalon

Feb 28, 2013
Welcome to DR1? Hope you find a friend soon. I definitely can relate. I am having a hard time finding a friend or two that speaks English well. I've been here since January. Hopefully my Spanish will improve soon. And hopefully I will meet an American or two. I am in Bavaro and so far I haven't had any luck. I just got a motorcycle on Saturday, so that should help.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
There are two English speaking congregations that i know of.. there is a Baptist Church and an Episcopal one. The Episcopal one is on Av Indeependia right before the Zona Colonial... Church of the Epihphany. Do not know what time the service is....

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
In Arroyo Hondo there is Iglesia Biblical del Se?or Jesucristo (IBSJ). That's a reformated baptist church, the services are in Spanish but there is English translation available. Iglesia Biblica del Se?or Jesucristo. I visit this church, there are some American families as well.

Another option is Iglesia Biblica Internacional (IBI) which also has English translation. They are in Charles Summer. Iglesia Bautista Internacional.

Both churches are kind of big, I think 3000+ members.

I can vouch for IBSJ, have never been to IBI but know many people that go there and only hear good things about it.

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
A jealous Dominican? no.... lol

I am not American... but I am a Brit and live in SD if you fancy meeting up? as I totally understand about the Dominican friends part!

beyondnyc

Feb 23, 2012
Welcome to DR1. Yeah I know what you are talking about. I live on the other side of SD. Zona Colonial has more than a few expats from all over. That is a good place to meet people. I drive to Avenida Venezula too to go to the clubs but it gets too crowded sometimes. At least you have someone to work on your spanish with. That would be great.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I used to live in Santo Domingo Este, and I have a daughter that lives there with her mother. The chances of you finding an American in this part of SD is very slim. You will met MANY Dominicans from NYC visiting or decided to move back to DR, but an American American very slim pickings on this side of town.

The only place where you will find Americans in large numbers is the Colonial Zone, but you DO NOT want to befriend these Americans trust me. If you and your "novio" ever part ways the place a woman like yourself want to explore are cities like San Jose Costa Rica, San Juan Puerto Rico, and a couple of cities in Mexico one of my favorite city on the planet is Mexico City. Santo Domingo can get boring real fast, and if you are not around anybody but Dominicans you start to feel like( Damn I am getting so TIRED of looking at Dominicans LOL)

Honestly I would have never left California for the DR, Cali is like a country in itself. Now you are starting to see how FRIENDLY Americans are LOL Many people make this mistake also thinking Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Mexicans, Colombians etc are friendly which they are sort of, but they are not "super out going" like Americans are and this is what a lot of people get confused.

BTW If you ever get really TIRED and need a break from Dominicans( which you will TRUST ME) send the man known as JMB773 a PM and I will fly down and you can buy me a drink in San Juan, Puerto Rico that is. Just tell your BF you are taking some cloths to a friend and grab a taxi to the ferry or airport whichever you prefer. San Juan has a nice party scene with people I think you may enjoy more then people in Santo Domingo. I know a couple of people around the US that have visited both places and 100% of them say they like the " party scence" in San Juan way more then Santo Domingo.

msnerdybirdy

Feb 13, 2012
Thank you all for the feedback! :) :) Im sorry to hear that this is a retirement island hahahahaha im kidding. But still, does anyone have any other sugguestions about other things I could do? hanging out at the Ikea seems a little off. How about some dancing classes? Im not looking to do lines and get wild Im pretty california outgoing and often exceed the limits of my boyfriend at times. What I mean is, he just doesnt understand that im just missing home. Ive been here for 8 months..

In Arroyo Hondo there is Iglesia Biblical del Se?or Jesucristo (IBSJ). That's a reformated baptist church, the services are in Spanish but there is English translation available. Iglesia Biblica del Se?or Jesucristo. I visit this church, there are some American families as well.

Another option is Iglesia Biblica Internacional (IBI) which also has English translation. They are in Charles Summer. Iglesia Bautista Internacional.

Both churches are kind of big, I think 3000+ members.

I can vouch for IBSJ, have never been to IBI but know many people that go there and only hear good things about it.

THANKS ILL CHECK IT OUT FOR SURE!

The chances of you finding an American in this part of SD is very slim. You will met MANY Dominicans from NYC visiting or decided to move back to DR, but an American American very slim pickings on this side of town.

THANK YOU I THOUGHT I WAS CRAZY!!
I mean after awhile I forgot im soooooo white.. people dont treat me like im american because i have a curvy hourglass body and im not so skinney straight as they preceive yound girls are in the states. but then i start talking.. and everyone knows im a gringa.. that and the whole ikea thing

A jealous Dominican? no.... lol

You should of see his face when he saw me posting this "creepy" message......>.>

Last edited:

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
But still, does anyone have any other suggestions about other things I could do
maybe some charity work

msnerdybirdy

Feb 13, 2012
maybe some charity work

Actually that is what orginally brought me to DR a few years ago and I have been coming back ever since for two or three weeks at a time and now I am here to study. In Jarabacoa, there is a Chrisitan mission called Students International. Has anyone heard of it? Anyways, I would love to get involved with something like that, but in Santo Domingo because that is where my home and job is. GREAT suggestion though, voy a investigarlo :p

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
Whats up with the Santo Domingo haters on here lately??? May not be paradise but I love it!