Ron Winley has died

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I just got word from a mutual friend that Ron Winley has died. Many in the Zona Colonial may remember him as the Conde Social Critic. I met him when he showed up at Union Episcopal Church in full Kinta cloth Dashika and the rest of the congregation drew further away and I went and sat next to him.

Ron was trained as a community organizer and worked as a city planner. He had a masters in divinity, I belive and came down here to retire.. his father had had an orphanage in Haiti.
'
He was really smart and well educated, He could start talked academia and I could not understand a word he said. Then the next minute he could go right down to Harlem Jazz club.

We could not have looked more different on the outside but he was the closest thing that I had found to a like minded brother in my years here. It never took us long to be talking like homeboys.

He had moved out to Villa Mella in the last few years and was very happy with a Haitian lady he had met over the earthquake relief effort. I saw him a few months ago and he looked great and seemed very happy. If I look back now, perhaps I could see death hovering in the nicest way because he really did look happy... and wow.. that is the best that we can all hope for, ain't it? to die happy?

He studied with Saul Alinsky and trained out of Riverside Church and I started helping run rent strikes in Harlem so we sorta went to the same school and could easily get nostalgic. He was about 10 or 15 years older than me. Last year he had let his passport expire or something and wrote me a long note and I called special services at the Embassy and went on and on about how we had this NATIONAL TREASURE here.. this SENIR\OR of the Civil Rights Movement and would they please help him out so that he could get his social security check and go on living in peace.

I promised him.. when I met him.. that I would help send him off. .. and that is what I am doin here.

A very impressive man.. that Dr Winley

at the end he was gettin a thousand pesos an hour teachin english

he had juan luils guerra's kid in school

and he was teaching permaculture up in villa mella

guess that is where i get to go to for the country place!

Ron never stopped trying to make a difference in the lives of the people that were around him.

I was blessed to have had him in my life and I will miss him.

But I was really happy to have seen him so happy the last time.. up in the almost country side.. living in love.

looked like a happy ending...

bye friend!

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Ron introduced me to MA in Santo Domingo and, as was our usual course, the three of us had a wonderful conversation and I was honored to be there. He is one of the few that I have had the privilege to spiritually connect with. We would sit with Reuben at Paco, sip Presidente, and talk (more like debate, lol) politics, both Dominican and US. I have been enriched by knowing him. RIP my friend!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
MA, so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.You have my deepest condolences.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Very sorry to hear this, MA. I remember meeting him at our friend's birthday party, dressed as you describe. Has she been informed?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
MA, i saw him once at a lecture being given by the late Dr John Henrik Clarke, in Harlem. never met him, formally, but, like Derfish, i wish i had.

Owinley

Mar 13, 2013
Hi - I am Ronalds Daughter. I was very happy to find this thread and to see he was happy towards the end. I have not seen my father in many years as he was devoted to helping people in DR. We will be having a service for him in New York on Friday from 4-7 is the veiwing and 7 Pm there will be a service. If any of you know people in the states please pass this information along. The viewing and service will take place at his fathers church.. Soul Saving Station...302 West 124th Street
New York, New York 10027
Bishop Robert I. Winely, Pastor (my fathers brother)
(212) 662-9425

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Hi - I am Ronalds Daughter. I was very happy to find this thread and to see he was happy towards the end. I have not seen my father in many years as he was devoted to helping people in DR. We will be having a service for him in New York on Friday from 4-7 is the veiwing and 7 Pm there will be a service. If any of you know people in the states please pass this information along. The viewing and service will take place at his fathers church.. Soul Saving Station...302 West 124th Street
New York, New York 10027

(212) 662-9425

I cannot tell you how happy I am that you posted. Your father was, and is, a good friend. Thank you for this information. I am in Philadelphia and if there is any possibility of getting to the church I will be there. God bless you and your family.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
New York, New York 10027
(212) 662-9425

my sincere condolences on the passing of your esteemed father. as i said, i never met him formally, but i saw him one night at a lecture given by the late professor John Henrik Clarke. he will be missed.