any techies re Samsung galaxy sii cdma

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
I have a Samsung galaxy sii ,however its cdma , and this means for the uninformed there is no place to put a sim card . good for the usa , but not great DR OR many other places in the world . someone told me that claro has the capabilities , that this cdma system will work Does anyone know if this is actually true ! Thx

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Claro still has voice service operating on the CDMA network, NOT 3G data.
They are very reluctant to activate new handsets on their CDMA network, as it is being phased out.
You can get it done, but you may have to try several phone shops.

One of the other small telco's has cdma, I forgot which one, used to be Viva or something???

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Tricom is CDMA only for now. Viva and Claro also support it, but they won't program the phone for you at their offices. You might however find a private Claro dealer to program the PRL into your phone for a fee.

Feb 7, 2007
Viva uses CDMA for DATA only (using standalone devices) for My-Fi type connection. The other company that uses CDMA for voice and data (100%) is Tricom.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Thanks for this info ... Is tricom known to be a decent phone company here in DR GENERALLY?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
orange and claro are probably the best, with the biggest coverage and best general access (more offices and so on) but tricom is the only option you have. i understand they have decent prices and the service is not bad.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Tricom works well in the places it has coverage. If you were to travel a lot, tricom would not be a first choice. Ask and see if tricom works where you will be.