Was IKEA "Horsing" Around - no more (horse) meatballs

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ikea pulls its famous meatballs in Dominican Republic

Santo Domingo.- Swedish furniture giant Ikea has included the Dominican Republic in the list of countries where it has pulled its meatballs from sale over fears that the popular food could contain horsemeat.
The Ikea-label meatballs have now been pulled from stores in 24 countries, including the Dominican Republic, Hong Kong and Thailand in addition to the host of European countries announced recently.
Ikea spokeswoman Ylva Magnusson said it is an important product for the company, ?so the measure is significant but we don?t want our clients to worry.? She said a German laboratory was currently testing the meatballs for traces of horsemeat, with the first results expected on Thursday.
Last week Ikea said that it had withdrawn the meatballs from sale in 16 European countries after Czech authorities found horsemeat in the product.
Source: Dominican Today

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Horse meat isn't toxic to humans, so this shouldn't cause a health scare on anyone. This is more a cultural issue.

Besides, in more than one occasion many Dominicans have been arrested for killing horses and selling the meat as if it was cow in many of the markets. One time someone even filmed a group of men killing a bunch of horses on the outskirts of SD with the intention of selling it as cow meat.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Horse meat isn't toxic to humans, so this shouldn't cause a health scare on anyone. This is more a cultural issue.

Besides, in more than one occasion many Dominicans have been arrested for killing horses and selling the meat as if it was cow in many of the markets. One time someone even filmed a group of men killing a bunch of horses on the outskirts of SD with the intention of selling it as cow meat.

It is part cultural issue, (obviously not such a bad on in the DR if people kill horses and sell the meat) but that is not the entire problem. The problem, which some people seem to be missing, is that horse meat from horses treated with phenylbutazone, or “Bute" is toxic to humans and since IKEA had no IDEA that horse meat was in their meatballs, they have no IDEA at IKEA if it has "Bute" until the results are in.

Horses raised for human consumption should never be treated with phenylbutazone.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I guess I should be happy I got some before they were "Pulled"!
I think most of us at the DR! "Meet & "EAT" at IKEA last month were "Horseing Around" more that we KNEW!!

Can Muslims eat "Horses" "AZB"???
Or does "Shirea Law" now dictate that you be "Stoned To Death"!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
I guess I should be happy I got some before they were "Pulled"!
I think most of us at the DR! "Meet & "EAT" at IKEA last month were "Horseing Around" more that we KNEW!!

Can Muslims eat "Horses" "AZB"???
Or does "Shirea Law" now dictate that you be "Stoned To Death"!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Let?s evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

"R"

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There is NO Vegetarian Dish, that "BACON doesn't make a whole lot better!
If fact, there is NO DISH that Bacon doesn't make a whole lot better!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
horse? no prob. here they should check them for cat meat.
A horse butcher in Paris, where eating the meat is not considered taboo

article-2275166-176CF956000005DC-441_306x425.jpg

Also in Burgers The questions raised by 'horsemeat' burgers - ITV News