Feria Ganadera in Santo Domingo

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If you're in the Santo Domingo area, or looking for someplace to go, check this out. Not only for farmers! It's on the western end of the malecon [Presidente factory area].

We've gone every year, it's a great place to spend a day. Even if you don't buy anything, you'll enjoy seeing the animals from all over DR. Good prices too.

From today's DR1 News:

[h=3]Feria Ganadera set for 9-17 March[/h]The cattle ranching and farming sector in the Dominican Republic announces that this year's Feria Ganadera will be held at its Malecon location in Santo Domingo from 9-17 March. The weeklong agricultural fair is a showcase for national farming, attracting an estimated one million visitors every year. Rene Columna Guzman, president of the Patronato Nacional Ganadero that organizes the event, said that this year organized visits by public school children have been coordinated and are part of the program. The fair is also a good place for families to go shopping for products at reduced prices as they are sold directly by the producers.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
The stench of manure and rotting produce is not something I would like to stay around for too long. But to each their own....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The animals are all at the back of the place, you can easily avoid them. I'm a city girl, and I don't remember much of any sort of smells.

And no rotting vegetables, geesh!

niknak

Dec 12, 2008
This sounds fun! Is this free or do you have to pay? Anyone know what time it opens?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
No charge to enter. We've never had a parking problem [also free]. Opens early, not sure of exact time. There are displays, products and demonstrations from all over DR.

Mr. AE likes to see all the different animal breeds from around DR, he's truly a country boy at heart despite being raised in SD. I usually leave with a car full of things I've bought.

niknak

Dec 12, 2008
No charge to enter. We've never had a parking problem [also free]. Opens early, not sure of exact time. There are displays, products and demonstrations from all over DR.

Mr. AE likes to see all the different animal breeds from around DR, he's truly a country boy at heart despite being raised in SD. I usually leave with a car full of things I've bought.

Thanks. I'm sure the little 'uns will love this.

niknak

Dec 12, 2008
So far this sounds like an excellent outing. Kids' jeans and plaid shirts are creased and pressed (per our muchacha) boots are ready; sunscreen and bugs spray at hand. All we need is a sun-perfect day and we're (hopefully) all set. :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'm an "Illinois Farm Boy" so I never noticed the "Aroma".
I like it very much.
4 *s!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"AE", "Seeing Animals from all over the DR?"
Is it a "DR1" event?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm an "Illinois Farm Boy" so I never noticed the "Aroma".
I like it very much.
4 *s!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"AE", "Seeing Animals from all over the DR?"
Is it a "DR1" event?

Haha CCCCCCCCCCCCC. I should have specified, there are breeders from all over the country......cows, goats, sheep, etc. Four legged animals. I'm not sure the 2 legged varieties are as well bred.

niknak

Dec 12, 2008
I was completely forgetting to thank you guys! We had an absolutely wonderful time. We're still getting daily requests to get a pony and a donkey from the litte 'uns. Great safe fun for the family. Hope to attend next year.