Greetings from the US_ Florida

LifezGood

Mar 4, 2013
Greetings all,

As a result of wanting to learn and visit more areas within the DR, I thought I would join this very active and informative group. It's good to see that all aspects of the DR are covered here. I've only been to Puerto Plata and that's been with a small group each time. After the 3rd time to POP, I pretty much had enough and want to see and experience more in the DR.

Since I'm not retired and have limited time when traveling, I thought this would be a great way to maximize my future travel experiences to the DR. So I will "troll" a while to see what's what and see if some of my questions are already discussed / answered.

As for me, I'm 40+, single and reside in Florida. Yo sabe muy poco espanol. I enjoy learning the local culture however, I also enjoy the night life.

Anyway, looking forward to participating.

Tye :beard:

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Bienvenidos!First lesson:Se muy poco espanol.:)

Ask away,we're here to help you.;)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Welcome. Are you more of an all-inclusive or an immerse into the culture type of traveler. If you want the best of both worlds check out Las Terrenas on the Samana Peninsula in the northeast section of the DR. Great people, beaches and food. There is a lot of eco tourism things to do. You can hike or take horses up to Limon Falls, whale watch (Jan 15-March 15) in Samana Bay, zip lining in Playa Valle, swim, snorkel and surf on the many beaches between Coson and Las Terrenas. Good luck.

LTSTeve

david_

Dec 8, 2012
LTSTeve is right, Samana peninsula is very nice. I would also reccomend Jarabacoa, La Vega, and that general vicinity.

LifezGood

Mar 4, 2013
Thank you for the welcomes!

I think I'm going to look to visit Santo Domingo in the next few months or so. Will post in that section for input.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
If you are going to come to Santo Domingo, google Colonial Zone and you can get a lot of info about the historical sites. There is a nice old colonial hotel called Hotel Conde de Penalba which is in the heart of the area. It is not fancy. The rooms are large and comfortable and there is a large outdoor cafe attached to the hotel. You are directly across the square from the oldest church in the new world and about a ten minute walk to Christopher Colon (Columbus') son, Diego's stone house. There is a lot to see but I wouldn't spend more than a couple of days here. Good luck

LTSTeve

LiveADay

Mar 14, 2013
Welcome! I'm also new, and also from Florida! Since you said you're going to Santo Domingo in the next few months, I'd recommend you explore the city for a bit. Lot's of things to see in the "Zona Colonial", but I'd also recommend checking out the caves. Lots of natural beauty, but also there is a nightclub and a restaurant in some caves near the Mirador. Crazy stuff. Also, I'd recommend you travel up to Samana Penninsula, it's gorgeous up there. Enjoy!