Construction of homes in DR

E

Ed and Mame

Still looking for someone to discuss the construction (materials, etc., etc.) of a new home - specifically Las Galeras, Samana Peninsula 9the "real" paradise!) We can't even think about prefabs there !!! Thanks in advance for any replies. -Ed and Mame-

R

Ruben

You should contact a local construction engineer or contractor, if you can't, then address the question to CODIA, they will give you a listing of builders in Samana and nearby communities.

The typical dominican house is built of concrete block walls and reinforced concrete floor and roof slabs. Wood frame, although feasible, is not a good solution for coastal areas due to the yearly hurricane threats.

E

Ed and Mame

Thanks, but even before we GET there (we're currently at our home in FL), we'd like to learn more about the actual construction of new homes. We saw a few being built but, being "private property" we didn't enter the premises for a closer look at construction. Thinking about it would be very important to us (we don't "jump" into anything but, rather, we "investigate" things first). Are there any websites which would help?
Again, thanks. -Ed and Mame-

R

Ruben

Jump into what?......are we on the same wavelength here?
You are the ones asking the questions.
Websites?.....give me a break, we are talking about a "third world" country....we should be lucky to have power 10 hours a day.
I am an engineer with 35 years of experience (DR and elsewhere) under my belt, and my expertise has always being available to the readers of this Board, however, because of your attitude your name has just been crossed out of the list. Let someone else help you.

M

mark

Just for the record, I saw no "attitude" in what Mame had to say. In fact, I figured any engineer worth his weight would actually recommend "not to jump into anything" to anybody thinking about moving to the DR and having property built. I certainly wouldn't (Jump into anything without investigating first, I mean.). If I were Mame I'd continue educating myself on all aspects of the "building process". ie. What type of structure is best for coastal vs. inland? Is it best to contract it yourself or buy from a builder? Should certain materials, contractors, suppliers be avoided? How much should I pay, and how do I know I'm not getting ripped off by contractors and/or builders? There are lots of questions that I'd want answered....... As for Ruben, he must have misunderstood the posting (otherwise, he's the one with the attitude). Go figure, it made perfect sense to me!

H

hillbilly

Obviously you should have e-mailed me with this ..

However, since I am currently in NC, I have not even bothered to see my mountains of emails..
That said: Rubenn was a lttle off, since CODIA-the national licensing board for engineers and architects, can tell you WHO they are, but not WHAT they are.
There fore you taalk to the people there in Las Galeras-you know who...
As far as construction goes, I have a wooden house on the beach and never a problem in over thirty years..
Considering that we are in a seismologicaly active area, good construction is needed, and you can get it. Calculate, at current costs about RD$5,000 per sq. mt. for construction at "decent" to "better than average" work...

HB

E

Ed and Mame

MARK : Re: Construction of homes in DR

Thank you, Mark. I wouldn't have been able to respond to Ruben's reply ... if I had responded I guess my response would be simply (as you said) "he's the one with an 'attitude'."
Totally unnecessary nasty reply - when all I asked were some common-sense questions. Again, we both thank you very much - and you also put a few good points into our head plans. That's the sort of thing we're looking for! Many thanks. -Ed and Mame-

E

Ed and Mame

WILL: Re: Construction of homes in DR

Our reply to Mark applies for you, too. Thank you very much !!!

-Ed and Mame-

E

Ed and Mame

HILLBILLY

Yes, thank you - Actually, we have just been discussing the possibility of e-mailing YOU regarding this subject. Not only regarding a home in Las Galeras (during winter months) but also one in the mountains, in your Santiago area, for the summer months. So, we will definitely be in touch with you regarding both locations - and, during this winter, when we are in Las Galeras for this winter season, we most likely will take a trip to Santiago to meet you - it's in our plans. You said in your post "talk to who you know in Las Galeras ... you know who." Not sure we know who you mean. If you get a chance, would you please let us know who that is? Many thanks again, Billy. You are very much appreciated. When are you going back to "home" (Santiago)? -Ed and Mame-

J

Jess

??

I thought I remember you guys saying that after your trip you didn't want to move to the DR. Now you want to build 2 houses there? What did I miss?