Sosua Moto Conchos Must Wear Vests

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
When they can get them, that is.

Did see yesterday 2 moto concheros waiting for business wearing vests in the Playero parking lot.

From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]ecently, Mayor Ilana Neumann handed out a vest and id card to thirty motorcycle taxi drivers (Motoconchos). The ceremony took place at the Town Hall and was in the presence of the prosecutor Ram?n Cabrera Veras, Colonel Acosta Medina of the National Police and Polanco Mart?nez of the Traffic Police (AMET). Most of the vests were handed out to Motoconchos working in the densely populated neighborhood Charamicos. So in the neighborhood of El Batey, where most tourists stay, will yet few Motoconchos drive around with the new vest.[/h] [h=5]The vests are green in color and trimmed with yellow striping. They feature a transparent pocket which fits an id card that should be visible to everybody. According to the commander of the police in Sos?a, Colonel Samuel Medina Acosta, the introduction of these safety vests will increase the safety for the customers of the Motoconchos. When the other Motoconchos will be able to acquire a vest is yet not known.[/h]

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Vests are a great idea.

As one with many thousands of miles riding the DR roadways all over, I will say one thing about most motoconchos: they are the better riders in the DR. I have found they are generally safe and more importantly hold a predictable line.

It's the whacked-out punk amateurs that are a problem.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Vests are a great idea.

As one with many thousands of miles riding the DR roadways all over, I will say one thing about most motoconchos: they are the better riders in the DR. I have found they are generally safe and more importantly hold a predictable line.

It's the whacked-out punk amateurs that are a problem.

a true observation, cobraboy. many motoconcho riders do have skills. the problem that is beginning to arise is the rapid inflow of Haitian riders, many of whom have difficulty with the elementary road signs, such as the ones that say STOP.

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
ah those Haitians, its all their fault ;-))
a true observation, cobraboy. many motoconcho riders do have skills. the problem that is beginning to arise is the rapid inflow of Haitian riders, many of whom have difficulty with the elementary road signs, such as the ones that say STOP.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
ah those Haitians, its all their fault ;-))

actually, i do not have a history of blaming Haitians for anything. not my style. i just happen to be a guy who has stopped a few Haitian motoconcho guys, and asked them to let me off, because they blew the stop sign like it was not there. two of them told me they did not know what the red octagon with the word PARE meant. when it is your ass looking at the side of a Caribe Tours bus, maybe you will not be as politically correct as you appear to be.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
issuing special recognisable hemets would have killed two birds with one stone so to speak.... at least they are trying

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
No vest, no helmet, no problem...business as usual.

first of all, forget this helmet thing. it is pointless. they say you have to wear a helmet. big deal! anyone ever look at the helmets these guys wear? if a good size mosquito hits you while you are wearing one, it is lights out!. you are better off without some of those helmets, because if you get into a minor accident with one, a piece of broken plastic might do you more harm than if you just hit an object with your bare head. i have never been to Europe, but i bet that if you wore one of those on a bike, they would pull you over and hand you a carton of summonses.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
first of all, forget this helmet thing. it is pointless. they say you have to wear a helmet. big deal! anyone ever look at the helmets these guys wear? if a good size mosquito hits you while you are wearing one, it is lights out!. you are better off without some of those helmets, because if you get into a minor accident with one, a piece of broken plastic might do you more harm than if you just hit an object with your bare head. i have never been to Europe, but i bet that if you wore one of those on a bike, they would pull you over and hand you a carton of summonses.
True.

The helmets are crap. AND I rarely see one strapped on. It will come right off in a real crash.

The head is the heaviest part of the body and, by the law of physics, will be the last part to "stop." Gravity will assure it's gonna hit something that will help it "stop."

I like the vest idea for 2 reasons:

1. Visibility
  2. Distinction of real mc drives from the amateurs

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
True.

The helmets are crap. AND I rarely see one strapped on. It will come right off in a real crash.

The head is the heaviest part of the body and, by the law of physics, will be the last part to "stop." Gravity will assure it's gonna hit something that will help it "stop."

1. Visibility

sadly, cobraboy, the vest does not help distinguish the real motoconchos from the guys who had Tia Mercedes make them up a vest, in order to get you on the bike, then take you to the barrio and fillet you for the 300 pesos in your pocket.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Good effort by the mayor. Her heart is in the right place and she is well meaning. However, I wonder how long the vest idea will last. If there was more money to be made it could be permanent.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

1. Visibility
I thought you were opposed to govt regulations. Isn't that what you usually pretend? Do you sell helmets? Or is there some other reason that you change your tune from your usual standards?
Where have I EVER claimed to be opposed to all gubmint regulation?

Never!

I say "onerous" regulation.

And while I believe that anyone has the right to be a motoconcho driver, I also believe that with that right comes a modicum of responsibility as established by the local populace. Certainly the proper wearing of helmets and a visible vest are reasonable requirements, like working turn signals, brakes and brake lights on a car.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Good effort by the mayor. Her heart is in the right place and she is well meaning. However, I wonder how long the vest idea will last. If there was more money to be made it could be permanent.

whenever there is a new push on the helmet laws, you know that some politician just scored a 45 foot container of used helmets from some Goodwill office in China, and is trying to get rid of them, asap. when they are all sold out, it will be back to business as usual.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
................I guess it all depends on who gets to decide what is "onerous" and what isn't.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..
One man's trash is another man's treasure..

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
................I guess it all depends on who gets to decide what is "onerous" and what isn't.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..
One man's trash is another man's treasure..
"Onerous" usually comes at the fist of a central gubmint. Local jurisdictions can have all the regulations they want. A person can reasonably leave a county or town, but not a country.

For instance, when I lived in St. Petersburg I moved to Tampa when St. Pete raised property taxes 20% and added a 1% sales tax. I voted with my wallet and feet.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
There is nothing that cuts down visiblity and hearing as much as a helmet. One cannot hear a big truck until it is actually on top of one if one has a "Good helmet" on.
^^^All^^^ 100% pure, unadulterated baloney.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
So isn't this helmet law that you support supposedly coming form the central govt here? or do you see it as something just for Sosua? And then the motoclnchos could all move to Puerto Plata where we have enuff already.
There is a national helmet law.

The Sosua thing is the vest.