Blue Stone

T

Tom

I hope someone can help me. While on vacation at the Catalonia Bavaro in Punta Cana this past April I purchased a beautiful set
of earrings for my girlfriend as a birthday gift. The store wa called Harrisons. The stone was a beautiful blue stone that i am told is only mined in the dominican Republic. Can someone tell me the proper name of this blue stone?
She gets many, many compliments and people will ask what is the stone?
I am embarressed to say that I am not sure what it is called. I was told it was "Landimar" or Larimar". These might be wrong names themselves. We loved our vacation and are already booked for a return next April. I want to buy her the necklace at that time. Thank You (Gracias)

R

Rolfe Foxwell

The stone is called Larimar ..It was descovered about 30 years ago in Baruca near Barahona.. it is a Pectalite and comes in many shades of blueand is only found here in the Dominican republic. Right now the mines are closed to to an ownership dispute. I am wholesaler of this stone.
Regards rolfe foixwell

M

Marilyn

History of Larimar

The Larimar mines are located in a little fishing village 16 KMs south of Barahona. When I was little, no one knew Larimar but the kids who walked the beaches of Bahoruco and collected the little blue rocks for fun. My mother is from Bahoruco so I spent my vacations there and also collected the stones, sometimes people came to buy them for 50 cents a pound, to us it was good money, we just walked the beach and collected the pebbles. When the mine was discovered in the mountains (about 15 years ago), I found out that the river carried the stones to the sea and the sea polished it and returned as little pebbles. You can still find Larimar if you walk the beach and look for it.