Travel From Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata

MangoBear

Dec 26, 2012
Hi All,

I'll be traveling to DR soon for some R&R at a resort in Puerto Plata. I'm flying into Santo Domingo. What's the easiest, safest, most comfortable (yet economical) way to get from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata? I'll have a 5-year-old with me.

Many thanks!

Apr 13, 2011
Unless you have been here before, or are meeting someone in Santo Domingo first, then ask the airline for a change of flight to the POP airport. That would be the easiest, safest and most comfortable - and only a little more economically, after you factor in taxi, bus, food, etc costs on your travel north from SD to PP.

MangoBear

Dec 26, 2012
I checked with the airline and it'll cost an additional $1K for all three of us to fly into POP. Would Santiago be better? I'm kind of panicking now. :-(

MangoBear

Dec 26, 2012
And how long would it take by bus from Santiago to Puerto Plata? Google Maps says about an hour, but I'm guessing it's not that short on a bus.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Sounds about right. But do not panic. Metro buses are comfortable and on schedule.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Taking either the Metro or Caribe Tours bus is the best way to travel from SD to POP, IMO. The Caribe Tours buses go overboard with thier air conditioning and it can be chilly but they are otherwise comfortable. Both are inexpensive

Apr 13, 2011
I was thinking the change of flight for your family would only be around $300-400, but at $1000 USD, then yes, I can understand - the bus may be your best option. Take a taxi from SDQ to either Metro or Caribe and take the bus to PP. Or if you are willing to spend a little more than the bus, but less than the change of flight fees, then ask around here on DR1 for someone that might know a driver to take you all the way - just an idea.

MangoBear

Dec 26, 2012
Thanks, everyone. I'm trying to get my flight changed to Santiago and then we'll take the Metro or Caribe bus. Santiago seems a lot less terrible, in terms of time spent on the bus. I wouldn't mind if it was just me, but with the kid... Methinks not. Especially after a 4 hour plane ride!

Apr 13, 2011
From Santiago to PP, you could probably find a decent price for someone to drive you from the airport to your hotel. And keep his number for when you need to return to the airport at the end of your vacation. That would be easier than the bus, but more expensive than the bus. And not as bad as from SDQ.

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
How much is a prop plane or helicopter to travel SD to POP??? Might be worth the view alone.

In February I paid two thousand pesos for a cab from Santiago to Sos?a. I had called the cab to take me to the Caribetours station. On the way there he offered to drive me straight to Sos?a for $2000 pesos, so I couldn't pass up a deal like that. In Santo Domingo it costs $1600 pesos to go from Las Americas airport to the Colonial Zone, so 2000 pesos for a ride to Sos?a from Santiago was a great deal.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
From STI airport to Playa Dorado just past Puerto Plata is an exact 60 miles. and takes me buy car about 1 hour 15 minutes. I sent a PM. Check it out.
Der Fish

Pescado - Post your chofer rates on the board, it's no secret your a stealth dr1 taxi boy!

Mr.Cata

Mar 12, 2013
Callate Tamborista, chupa medias. This guys is Jerk! He thinks he is always right and everyone else is wrong...also q kisses ass to to business owners in Sosua. You say anything negative about any of them, he comes down on you. Tambo, chiga tu madre cabron!!!!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Well, alrighty then.

Moving on from Mr. Cata's little outburst, here's what to expect from SDQ to POP:

Cab to bus station - 20 bucks, about a half hour

Bus to POP - 9 bucks, about 4-5 hours, more if you're leaving during rush hour

POP bus station to accommodation: depends, but likely less than 20 bucks.

You can have a drive take you directly to POP for about $200.