Short-Term Internet Connection

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We're moving Camp Moto to another Jarabacoa location and will no doubt be losing our nice 8mb innerweb DSL connection for who knows how long.

I'd appreciate any feedback on a short-term solution, maybe a couple of 3G USB connections for 2 computers, or other options for a couple of weeks. We won't be doing any major downloading during that time.

Orange? Claro? Other?

What is your experience?

TIA

DAvalon

Feb 28, 2013
I've been using Claro usb stick since December. It worked good for me in El Mamey, not as good in the Capitol, and has pretty much worked fine here in Bavaro except on real cloudy days. Nothing to write home about in terms of speed, but it's gotten me by. Tried a Viva usb stick here in Bavaro and that didn't work at all.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I've been using Claro usb stick since December. It worked good for me in El Mamey, not as good in the Capitol, and has pretty much worked fine here in Bavaro except on real cloudy days. Nothing to write home about in terms of speed, but it's gotten me by. Tried a Viva usb stick here in Bavaro and that didn't work at all.

the fun part is that they will sell you the contract, and have no coverage in your area. it is only when you complain bitterly to them that the dongle does not work that they come out and tell you that your area is not covered.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
the fun part is that they will sell you the contract, and have no coverage in your area. it is only when you complain bitterly to them that the dongle does not work that they come out and tell you that your area is not covered.
We have decent coverage up here.

Anyone with experience with the Orange dongle (not Flybox, but both are 3G)? Their "deal" looks vastly superior to Claro...

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

Anyone with experience with the Orange dongle (not Flybox, but both are 3G)? Their "deal" looks vastly superior to Claro...

Okay I don't live up in your neck of the woods but I have a monthly contract with the cable company, no long term. Maybe the cable company over there could provide the same service?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Okay I don't live up in your neck of the woods but I have a monthly contract with the cable company, no long term. Maybe the cable company over there could provide the same service?
Nope. The options are limited: DSL or Claro or Orange 3G.

I've used the Claro banda ancha here before, maybe 2-3 years ago. Meh; maybe it's better. Curious about Orange. Both have prepaid 3G...

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I've used Orange 3G stick extensively - last time about a year ago though, it was fast and reliable, - occasionally their Mac software would go into some weird state and refuse to connect and I would have to kill/restart it. Never used the one from Claro but friends with 3G plans on Claro phones are unhappy with their speed currently, it's barely ticking.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

cobraboy, not all the providers have the same coverage. orange may work, while viva dos not. i have been through this, and ended up giving up on wireless, and just getting Claro hard wired.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
cobraboy, not all the providers have the same coverage. orange may work, while viva dos not. i have been through this, and ended up giving up on wireless, and just getting Claro hard wired.
That's my point. I may be without hard-wired DSL for a week or two while we move and the techs can get us back up again. I'm looking for a short-term interim solution.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i realize the intent of your posting. i just mentioned the hard wire to emphasize your need to research the wireless issue very carefully before committing to a carrier, because they oftentimes misrepresent their capabilities, and end up being unable to fulfill their promise to provide wireless coverage. all 3, Orange, Claro, and Viva promised me that their service would work in my area, and not one ever did, forcing me to request the hard wired version.