Toddlers and swimming pools, sometimes a deadly combination

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
For those parents of toddlers that have swimming pools on their property, surely must have that fear at the back of their minds that something dreadful might happen.

I thought I would share this that someone posted on my facebook page
Infant Swim Self Rescue? Survival Swimming Lessons

There's also a you tube clip of a baby rescuing itself after falling in a pool.

[video=youtube;nI_XzNfxjlY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI_XzNfxjlY[/video]

Something I will definitely be looking into.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
please see my NC thread about a polish dude and his swimming school:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-coast/131396-super-swimming-classes-pop.html

he teaches children from ages as young as 6 months. i think this is crucial in DR. especially if you are a foreigner, that is somewhat better off financially than average dominican and therefore more likely to have a pool or travel to places with pools and/or access to water.

a little child has little or no fear. it does not know it can die, does not know about death at all. this is why it is important to teach them how to swim and how to behave in water in general. there is no better way to ensure their safety. and no, do not tell me about keeping an eye on them. i know kids. you blink and they already did something dumb.

and trust me, learning how to swim as an adult ain't that easy :)

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Watching that scared the crap out of me!I was wondering if someone was going to rescue
the poor baby almost towards the end of the video.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
damn, i looked at the video! OMG. i am so going to have my sister's in law baby learn that. after it's born ;)
this is super amazing! did you look at the kid's face at the end? total happiness.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I thought the baby was scared sh!tless,until the dad came to the rescue and you can see the
smile on his face!:)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no, throughout the video you can see it keep on talking to itself and has a big happy grin on the face. i betcha he gets some treats for all that falling into the water and floating routine.
maybe this is why i cannot swim all that well. no one throws me cookies and shouts good girl when i do a flip and balance a beach ball on my nose.

wait.

:)

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
TY...
You have just found my son's summer activity.
This year he'll learn how to swim...
And from next year golf every year...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
koreano, can you swim? and your wife? i think you are in santiago, correct? PUCMM has swimming classes for kids and adults. i think it's worth it!

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
koreano, can you swim? and your wife? i think you are in santiago, correct? PUCMM has swimming classes for kids and adults. i think it's worth it!
Yes...
I am in good ol' Santiago...
My near death experience at young age, put me in "don't enjoy water" category...
I do swim a little though enough to swim across pool and not die...
My wife and son in other hand don't swim.
Perhaps I'll send them both to learn...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think it is a good idea to send them both. and maybe take some classes too. you may end up loving it :)
i learn how to swim few years back but only now when i have access to the pool and some confidence i can enjoy it. it's like having wings :)
but i am thinking of getting few extra classes to be better: learn different strokes that frog in da front, dog in da back. and learn how to breath properly. i need to learn breast stroke. after all, the breast are already there, ya know what i'm sayin'?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
i think it is a good idea to send them both. and maybe take some classes too. you may end up loving it :)
i learn how to swim few years back but only now when i have access to the pool and some confidence i can enjoy it. it's like having wings :)
but i am thinking of getting few extra classes to be better: learn different strokes that frog in da front, dog in da back. and learn how to breath properly. i need to learn breast stroke. after all, the breast are already there, ya know what i'm sayin'?
Isn't there any thing those Men's eyes magnet can't do?
It has like 1 million and 1 uses!

I am ok now, but I'll encourage my wife on swimming...
They are in Paradise after all....
Might as enjoy them while it last....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I cannot imagine any one so perverted that they would be filming a baby suffering in the swimming pool for several minutes without helping the infant. How sick can one get?

but look at the baby! to me he does not look like suffering. to me he looks like he's having fun, especially towards the end. admittedly, it is, partially a form of exercise, or work, if you may, that his parents make him do. but i think no harm done here. he never looks scared.

and i am sure the parents were there all the time to help and support him if needed.

Chennifer

Oct 18, 2008
Moves to the D.R this summer
Wow that's amazing. It looks scary though, I think my husband will have to take our little boy to learn this.

dv8 - I've always known how to swim but I'm with you on going to learn different styles. For some reason, from the age of about 6 I could no longer hold my breath under water and had to swim with one hand and the other holding my nose. Last year, when I was pregnant, my husband taught me to hold my breath and swim under water. That really was freedom! (Especially being as heavy as I was then, in the water there was no more pain!)