Does anyone have experience of moving belongings over from USA...

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
Hi everyone,

I have been told when you officially move to the country you are allowed to ship a tax free container of your household furniture to the DR...

A few questions...

- What paperwork do you need to prove you are living moving here? Do I have to show this before I ship - or when the container gets in to port?

- Realistically how much can you get away with as I have no where near a container load but thinking of buying a few extras to help with expenses... I know I wont get away with 10 TVs for example but 2 or 3?

- I am originally from the UK but my stuff is in the states as I worked there for 6 months...

- last one... Any recommendations for a shipping company? I only know about Montero (will be shipping from NY area)

Thanks peps

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
That tax free container rule is valid only for six months (I think) from the time you receive provisional residency. It isn't automatic for anyone moving to the DR.

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
Thanks, In the process of getting the paperwork ready to apply - any idea how long it usually takes to get provisional residency?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thats one container per applicant - if you have a partner/spouse.

Cars need to be owned for 12 months prior to importation

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Provisional Residency

Provisional residency which you must apply for with the help of local authorities, such as an attorney, can take up to 9-12 months from the time that your health test and all your paper work are OFFICIALLY accepted by the Dominican authorities. This is not a fast process and it is also expensive. It will cost you any where from approximately $1200-1800usd per person for this privilege. Make sure when you get all your documents together that they are apostilized with the official international stamp recognized by the DR. Good luck in the process.

LTSTeve

Last edited:

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
Thanks for the info guys...

I have been here almost two years so I thought it was about time. My wife's dad is a lawyer over here so I get it for free - well apart from the costs medical etc which is a plus.

He has just told me about the foreign investment law that apparently you can get it guaranteed in 45 days if you have invested money in the country so going to look into that. Although I would love to see something happen within a guaranteed time frame here. The permits for my house are in their 5th month! any day now...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"chris", the only thing you can get in "45Days" here in the DR, is your food in a restaurant, if THAT!
Don't forget, you must first get the "Permit", which allows you to get the permit, to get the permit, to Apply for the permit.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
CC - I am seeing permits in my sleep at the moment - keep on getting told next week... Gave up believing tat about 3 months ago - my new tactic is to just go in everyday and ask - they are starting to get fed up of me!

On the plus side managed to change my new bike into my name... Only took 4 visits and over 12 hours of waiting! But at least it's done.