IB de la altagracia in santiago?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i put this in the living section as i need the answer asap.
can anyone tell me where in santiago is this church located?
thank you!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sorry, IB DeLagracia, it was called in an email i received. not sure if this is the same thing... :(

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok, can be closed, i think i solved it myself. and i am a proper dumba** too :(

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
nah. long story short:
a polish friend of mine, who lives in san pedro saw w dominican dude once, partially paralyzed. he had polio as a child and as a result lost the ability to walk. he used a piece of wood with some wheels attached to move around. wearing gloves and chancleta on his hands to push himself around. so she asked him for his details and promised to help.

fast forward few months later she found an american organization that helps people all over the world with wheelchairs. and she got him on the list for a chair. all he had to do was go to santiago for evaluation. but i, being dumb as i am, directed him to the wrong church. good thing we told him to be there way ahead of time. so i actually managed to find the correct church this time, called them to confirm and directed him there.

he arrived now and hopefully will leave with some wheels!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Just for your information, la IBI in santo Domingo has a campaign for wheelchairs these days and other churches are participating, I wouldn't be surprised if Iglesia Bautista de la Gracia also is.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I would donate to THAT cause!
Talk about filling a need.
Any info?
I think there is a "Thread" for "Donations" here.
WE, (DR1) used to have some "EVENTS" to raise money for charity.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the charity is wheels for the world. here's the website:
Wheels for the World | Joni and Friends

contact details:
Andra Eason
Program Manager
Joni and Friends Charlotte
Joni and Friends International Disability Center
Office: (704) 841-1177 Fax: (704) 841-1179
Joni and Friends

they will be in santiago, iglesia bautista de la gracia today, tomorrow and a day after.

i just hope all went well today for this dominican guy...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
here's that guy on a contraption he made himself:

2vx3qdt.jpg

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Iglesia Bautista de la Gracia often has "operativas" like that! They're located right next to the PUCMM on Estrella Sadhala (in front of the restaurant Carrito de Marchena). THey also simultaneously translate into English and French during their services for anyone looking for an "English-speaking" church.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
an update to the story, abstracted from the letter sent by wheels for the world to my polish friend:
Christian did show up for our outreach on Thursday morning. The picture you sent was very helpful as he did not show
up with his scooter and it was nice to see the difference that a wheelchair will make in his life. We were able to fit him with a wheelchair. He was very sweet and seemed very pleased when he left.
The morning that he came to the outreach was quite hectic and so I did not have much time to spend with him but was grateful that we had given him my name so that he was received well. Our physical therapist was able to fit him with a chair fairly easily and he was overjoyed to be seen.

thought you may want to enjoy some good news from time to time :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm a sucker for a happy ending, thanks for the update dv8.

I'd been following this, because we brought a wheelchair down to SD a year ago for my suegra, and she died unexpectedly a few weeks later. I was going to track it down for him if they hadn't given him one.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
these folks, btw, accept chair donations :) so if you know someone who was using a chair and recently passed away or the person's health changed and they are not using the chair anymore - let them know :)