Generators and solar panels

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Hi, I know theres been lots of thread on the subject and have gone through them but Im new here and its a bit technical for me.
I ve used 12 batteries and an inverter for 5 years( we are only here half the year), and last year my batteries died. Since then I havent replaced them to give it a try: 2 problems. 1)only like 4 hours of electricity a day, some in the morning but mostly at night. and I keep having problems with ligna muerta which means one of the positive lines keeps poping out, due to people robbing electricity directly from the main line and bumping the comptadore. ( I live in POP countryside and everyone steals electricity but I refuse to do it) 2) the electricity is not stable and I have to use a stabilisateur.

My bills have gone way down umder 300kw by month which is great, but u have to get used to living in the dark which is not so great.

My question is what would u do now? generator? solar panels? back to inverser? I would like to be self suficient in energy and Im willing to use only 1 or 2 appliances at a time but I need 110v and 230 v. Is 7t even possible or is a dream? I use 1 fridge american style, 2 fans, lots of lights(its a huge house but only my wife and I live in it), a water pump for la citern from time to time, pool pump from time to time, kitchen appliances fom time to time, a lap top, a dominican washing machine and thats about all.
All information is welcoming along as price range( sadly its an issue since we plan on retiring next year at the old age of 35).
I wouldnt want to buy 12 new batteries if my money is better invested in a generator for example.
Thank u all in advance.
P.S Ive contacted a couple of solar buisness aroun POP but no one wants to come out to guananico to take alook....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What one poster did who lived off the grid was to use a generator to charge the batteries in four hours. Now he has moved from the generator to mainly using solar panels and just the generator for back up on cloudy days. For your needs about 12 to 16 solar panels will help, and then have a generator and your power company to fill in the gaps. You will still need good batteries and an inverter (in your case 2 inverters if you want 220 V) in addition to the additional solar panel hardware.

The power company will be less expensive than running the generator and of course solar power is "free" after you pay for the installation. Panels can be imported by yourself for much less than they can be purchased here. There are other thread on that here on DR1.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
I was talking to a chap last night who had 12 200W solar panels installed for US$4,800, so it seems prices are coming down significantly. Last time I looked the panels were US$600 each!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I was talking to a chap last night who had 12 200W solar panels installed for US$4,800, so it seems prices are coming down significantly. Last time I looked the panels were US$600 each!

We just bought 6 Sharp solar panels, $200 each, 225W. They're in DR already. We have two inverters, so needed two controllers, bought 2 Outbacks, they're about $600 each. Bought the cables here. In the next month we'll be doing the installation, will let you know how it goes.

To the OP, electricity is terrible where we live too. Sometimes only 6 hours a day, and doesn't fully charge the batteries. Voltage is so low that we have a portable [and heavy] voltage regulator that we have to move from appliance to appliance [microwave, Kenmore washer and portable dishwasher won't run on the low voltage]

We added a marine windmill last year, not much help.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
We just bought 6 Sharp solar panels, $200 each, 225W. They're in DR already. We have two inverters, so needed two controllers, bought 2 Outbacks, they're about $600 each. Bought the cables here. In the next month we'll be doing the installation, will let you know how it goes.

To the OP, electricity is terrible where we live too. Sometimes only 6 hours a day, and doesn't fully charge the batteries. Voltage is so low that we have a portable [and heavy] voltage regulator that we have to move from appliance to appliance [microwave, Kenmore washer and portable dishwasher won't run on the low voltage]

We added a marine windmill last year, not much help.

Please please keep us updated with more posts!!!

ElAlien

Mar 10, 2013
Mira pollito, when in Rome due as the Romans do! Monkey see monkey do! I would do what my next door neighbor is doing as far as dealing with powering his/her house. One of the issues with solar panels is that they get stolen frequently. Just check in your barrio how everybody else is doing.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Mira pollito, when in Rome due as the Romans do! Monkey see monkey do! I would do what my next door neighbor is doing as far as dealing with powering his/her house. One of the issues with solar panels is that they get stolen frequently. Just check in your barrio how everybody else is doing.

My nexr door neighbours love in a tin shack and steal electricity on the grid to power 2 lights and a fridge.....They think internet is a new way to catch fish and use an old satellite dish to degrain guandule....