Travel From Santiago to Puerto Plata

ElAlien

Mar 10, 2013
Everytime I come over from Santiago to Puerto Plata in my X5, I take carretera Navarrete Puerto Plata. This time, I'm planning to take the Avenida Gregorio Luperon route, all the way to Montellano. It this way safer and faster?:cool::chinese:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it ain't, really. every rain makes both main road and the mountain pass get worse and worse. i suggest you stick to the main road and only take the other one when the weather is noce and you have plenty of time. gotta go slow there if you do not know the road. but the views are great!

darn. i hope you did not start the account to spam about bmws...

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I always say your chances of accident are far greater on the main road with those overloaded under maintained trucks.

ElAlien

Mar 10, 2013
Thanks for the info. It has not been raining lately. Thus, I'll take my chance with the new route. I have also heard that the view is incredible. I'm looking forward to the drive and I'll most likely will drive slowly. I know that it has more turns than carretera Navarrete Puerto Plata.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Everytime I come over from Santiago to Puerto Plata in my X5, I take carretera Navarrete Puerto Plata. This time, I'm planning to take the Avenida Gregorio Luperon route, all the way to Montellano. It this way safer and faster?:cool::chinese:

Won't be any faster really but definitely a more enjoyable route, - especially in an SUV. It's not really as bad as some posters would make you believe, - hell, it's better than half the streets in Santiago.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Go slow. That is the only advice I can give you. There are some good stretches and there are some nasty ones. This road was laid out in the 1920s and follows paths that date back to the 1700s....literally donkey and horse trails.

HB

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Somebody said it will be a vuelga along this road today (Monday). Any info on this?

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I took this route a week ago coming to Santiago. Beautiful scenery. Nice tight rally type roads. Wish I had a car that I could really push thru some of those turns. Some sections are rough and others are really rough. Watch out on some of those curves, other cars will come around on your side of the road, trucks especially. I had a nice drive here but don't take this route to save time....it won't

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
After going to The Rio somewhere in Moca, while when my wife away in State. I would never take another road that are known to be rough. Wow talk about crazy rides. After 1 hour of rough brain shaking rides on small 25+ years old Toyota pickup for about 10 miles, It was the crazy Toyota Thundra Concho ride that really got my jaw broken. Barely had space for a one truck and he was jumping and sliding through the narrow roads. It was fun and Rio was beautiful. But never again and I won't even think about it for a second, if I have to go though it with my own car.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I wish Pichardo or someone would report on the progress of the santiago bypass road, when will it be complete and how will it effect these two road options???

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
one last advice i have is to remember about puke pills for passengers. i've been on that road as a passenger and that hurt :) ;)