Thinking of getting a dog...

Cha12

Mar 5, 2013
Hello everyone,

Back in January, a co-worker of mine mentioned that her dog had puppies (Chihuahua/weiner dog mix :)), and she offered to give me one. I love love love dogs and it may also be because my family dog that I've had since I was about 12 just died, but I really want one. I am not one to shirk responsibility and I don't see dogs as toys or possessions, they are absolutely like children, so I know it's a big decision.

I have a job/career that requires me to move every two years or so, although in a few years I'll likely end up somewhere semi-permanently. That is really the most worrying part. I've done some research and it doesn't seem that hard to travel internationally with a dog (I'd mostly be traveling to the US and other Latin American countries), providing I have papers that prove the dog is healthy. I know it probably costs something extra, but I've seen it often enough.

I am wondering what others' experience with this is (traveling with dogs). I live alone, but I work extremely close to my house so it would be very easy to come home at lunchtime (or whenever) to take the dog out, play with him/her, etc.

Besides the additional cost of taking care of the dog, it seems that living in the DR with a dog is not so hard, I've seen some dog-friendly places. I live in Santo Domingo, but I'm assuming I can take it on most weekend trips to the beach, as I recall in Cabarete and Las Terrenas there were plenty of hotel/hostel patrons with dogs.

Thoughts? Advice? Complaints? I'm on the fence!

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
We have a pack of dogs -- Great Danes, a gifted Italian Mastiff (thanks WW), chihuahuas, and have had many others in the past. The one we travel with the most is the chihuahua named Stella. She fits easily into a travel bag which my wife carries as if it were a purse.

Originally we told the airlines we were bringing a dog but soon discovered it was only a way for them to charge you money. So now we don't tell them (TSA is too busy looking for 3" folding knives and they never care). We place the dog under the seat in front of us, she never barks or whines and has traveled over 10 hours with us without complaint. Her next trip is to Italy with us!!

But you need to raise them so they don't bark or annoy people (or yourself). It's easy to do if you have patience.

Honestly, however, I've often thought of bringing a Great Dane but I'd have to buy 2 or 3 extra seats. They are the most loving, loyal and friendly dogs I've ever owned!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
That mix could be trouble. Chihuahua-Dachsund combination. Chihuahuas bark a lot and are one person dogs. They decide who they like in the family and protect that one in the extreme, hating all others and they like to run away. Dachsunds make a better family dog but they can be obstinate. suggestion is to look for a purebred. That way you will know what it will be like when it grows up. First decide on a size then short or long hair then look for attributes. Does it need a ton of exercise? Good with kids, good guard dog, etc. Do not buy a pig in a poke. You will have this animal for years and spend a lot of money on it. Do some research. There is a big variety. For example Great Danes are a wonderful pet but they are very short lived, like seven or eight years whereas many terrier breeds live to 17 or 18. Good luck

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
It sounds like you have taken a lot of thought into what kind of doggy parent you could be, and thats the most important thing.

Personally I love Chihuahau's and since you are single a one person dog is perfect! You will never know love like a Chihuahua gives you! Not all Chihuahua's bark and they are VERY easy to train!
I did see on tv that they are in the top 5 of most aggresive breeds but if you socialize and train him/her you will have no problem. I just brought my Chi on a plane and he didn't make a peep! It was his second time. Most dogs will travel well if they do it a lot!
Mixes usually have a lot less health problems!
Chi's are a special breed of dog and I would never go without at least one in my Family ever. They are EXCELLENT watch dogs! My Chi hears the first noise, barks and gets the rest of our dogs barking, so I always know if someone is around our property.
Don't know too much about Dachunds...
Good luck with whatever you choose!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Travellling with a small dog is not a big problem. I have a mini Schnauzer, which I brought down to the DR every year for the Winter. Most airline policies with small dogs boils down to this. If they are under 20 lbs and can fit in a flexible pet carrier than you are allowed to bring them into the airplane. When you travel with a pet you need a special International Travel form which your local vet can fill out . This will cost you about rds1500 pesos in the DR. When you get to SDQ there is an office there where you will show your travel documents and pay around rd300pesos. This office will give you their approval form and you head for check in. If you can photo copy your International Travel papers. Many airlines will want to make a copy of this and it will save you time. Instead of standing around while they go make a copy you can give them one. The reservation for your dog on the airline will cost you anywhere from $100-150usd each way. When you arrive at your destination some one in the next country will want to see your International Pet Travel Documents. Whatever country you are going to check the local laws for quarantine of the animal. Some countries, mainly in Europe, have this in place. Good luck. It is not a difficult process.

LTSteve

roymustang9

Nov 6, 2012
That mix could be trouble. Chihuahua-Dachsund combination. Chihuahuas bark a lot and are one person dogs. They decide who they like in the family and protect that one in the extreme, hating all others and they like to run away. Dachsunds make a better family dog but they can be obstinate. suggestion is to look for a purebred. That way you will know what it will be like when it grows up. First decide on a size then short or long hair then look for attributes. Does it need a ton of exercise? Good with kids, good guard dog, etc. Do not buy a pig in a poke. You will have this animal for years and spend a lot of money on it. Do some research. There is a big variety. For example Great Danes are a wonderful pet but they are very short lived, like seven or eight years whereas many terrier breeds live to 17 or 18. Good luck

I have to disagree with you, Chiweenies are extremely friendly, and not at all like weiners or Chihuahuas. They are not nippy or noisy. They are however, extremely needy. My old roomie had one, and he would always want to snuggle, and he would always try to climb up on my shoulder and sleep. And because he had anxiety problems, he had a boston terrier with him to give him company. That kinda soothed his nerves whenever no one was in the house.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I am a FIRM believer in having at LEAST two of dogs,or cats.
Especially dogs.
They are pack animals, and NEED to part of one.
I have 3 now, and am waiting for two more, I HOPE, right devdev?????
I hated tiny dogs all my life, UNTIL I got two Chihuahuas!
If I had gotten them earlier in my life, it would have saved me a fortune!!!
No "wives", and no "KIDS"!!!!!
Nothing like a Chihuahua's freezing nose stuck in your butt crack at 3 am.!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

JaraChica

Nov 9, 2011
www.squidoo.com
I wouldn't stay in the country without my pack of Presa Canarios! Momma just had a litter of 10 and they are terrifying already!

2013-03-06+19.27.55.jpg

Cha12

Mar 5, 2013
Thank you, everyone, for your help. I am still kind of undecided, I'm mostly worried about the additional cost. I probably should have also mentioned that I live in a tiny apartment, although I think such a tiny dog would do alright. I do have a small balcony, which helps.

Thanks LTSteve, for your very detailed response! I'm worried about spending $150 extra every time I fly, tickets are already so expensive, but I suppose it's not that bad, relatively...plus the vet costs and all the accessories, food, toys...it adds up.

West Jet only costs $50 one way for a dog in Cabin but I'm not sure if they would fly where you need.
I would never suggest to someone who is worried about the cost to get a pet. They are expensive. In the DR it costs a lot less than Canada. I was surprised about how cheap the Vet prices are! Still though good food and stuff adds up unless you don't care about the quality of food....shudder... Food quality does matter for health and quality of life.