President Breaks Ground on New 400M Hotel and Golf at Playa Grande

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Saw this report this morning on Dominican Today. What do these developers know that we don't. Yes, the golf course there is beautiful. This beach is beautiful. However, what will attract tourists here that didn't happen in the past. Hopefully they will have all inclusive golf packages to make it reasonable. The location of this golf course is certainly spectacular. This could be one of the finest in the DR and Caribbean. Maybe with the re working of this course it will be even better. If Charter flights come into El Catey/Samana to service this new resort it certainly could be a plus. Also it will certainly help the economy by creating new jobs. Let's hope this project makes it. Now let's work on a golf course for the Samana Peninsula. Playa Grande is still a 1.5 to 2 hour ride from LT/Coson. Fore!!

LTSteve

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Saw this report this morning on Dominican Today. What do these developers know that we don't. Yes, the golf course there is beautiful. This beach is beautiful. However, what will attract tourists here that didn't happen in the past. Hopefully they will have all inclusive golf packages to make it reasonable. The location of this golf course is certainly spectacular. This could be one of the finest in the DR and Caribbean. Maybe with the re working of this course it will be even better. If Charter flights come into El Catey/Samana to service this new resort it certainly could be a plus. Also it will certainly help the economy by creating new jobs. Let's hope this project makes it. Now let's work on a golf course for the Samana Peninsula. Playa Grande is still a 1.5 to 2 hour ride from LT/Coson. Fore!!

LTSteve

has any study ever been conducted to determine if golf courses have a positive impact on tourism, in the DR?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

LTSteve

I asked that same question...... to the head engineer of the project.

The driving force here (don't confuse this with the earlier announcement about Playa Grande beach) is the Aman Hotel, an imposing force in the hotel industry.

They have a hotel in the Turks and Caicos which is doing a bang-up business.
Their clientele seems to be impervious to the outside world. They seek the Aman service/style being offered.
Thats the reputation.

Will it work here? Yet to be seen.... but these guys do this for a living.
The Aman president/owner flew from Singapore for this event --- stayed less than 24 hours---- he's over 80.
They take this stuff seriously.

The golf course will be restored, a big undertaking.
This is the first project that Aman has undertaken with a golf course included in the mix.

Bteween this and the Playa Grande beach development, there is enough going on here to keep things busy for a few years to come........ lots of money being spent.

We shall see what we shall see....... so far, its all going according to plan

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
The one thing I like the most about Playa Grande is the quiet and quasi-virgin environment. It seems it is going to be no more. Oh well, good thing there are other places unknown to short term gringos...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Water-
I understnd the course has it's own supply of water.
Additionally, the new strains of veetation actually like the salty spray that used to kill previous strains.

Quiet environment,
It may be so quiet that you 'll never see it ..... I haven't heard a definitve statement yet about how the public members of the community will be treated.

I have already said my farewell

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
The other day I took some friends to the Playa Grande Beach who used to have a villa here in Cabrera. They loved the beach for the unspoiled, pristine nature of it along with the saucy Dominican music constantly playing someplace (you often need to escape from it, it's so loud).

Alas, the "Disney-fied" version of the huts and scant parking (their comments) were offset by a beach loaded with about 100 people...not a single Dominican among them who wasn't serving a drink or selling something. I was shocked! Why aren't Dominicans on their own favorite beach? I was so shocked I took a quick video from the ocean where you can see the people and not hear a single...not one...even a peep...of music! (2pm in the afternoon)

I hope this evolves in the right way...there is a lot of opportunity for it to go sideways for everyone...