Spearfishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marquito

Aug 15, 2012
Hola Dr1 community,

I have sought out information in the past to help my life and experience here more enjoyable. Well I need your insight again. In the last year I have taken up spearfishing and really enjoy it. Most of my spearfishing buddies live in POP and we ended up going out in either Mimoan or Louperon. Sorry if My spelling of these places is off. As of now I live in Sosua/Cabarette, and traveling to those places from here a few times a week takes it toll. Does anyone on this site who lives in the Sosua/Cab area spearfish and is looking for a partner from time to time? I really am a novice at it but really enjoy it and only trying to get better. Thanks again for your help.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Hi Marquito, My name is Miguel Fernandez, send me a pm. I'm not in the island yet, but i'm moving there in the near future. I'm getting a boat, I have a house near cabrera, and I spearfish (not scuba diving, strictly freediving), I have plenty of friends from florida who are gonna come down and train downhere once I'm set up. Maybe we can explore the reefs together in the nort coast. I'm pretty sure there is plenty of fish. stay in touch. send me your email and contact number.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
There are lots of guys Spear fishing in the Cabarete /Sosua area they usually start at playa en****ro and go up to the coast to Sosua pretty much spear fishing just stop one of the guys 1 day and ask.

Marquito

Aug 15, 2012
Thanks for again for all of your help. Also Miguel, I will send you a PM with my contact info.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
you know, I suppose, that spearfishing will eventually eliminate snorkeling? The fish will abandon the reef

I worked in scuba diving in Haiti years ago with a diver named Alan Baskin who used to work here as well,, who was friends with Costeau.. and who worked very hard to have spear fishing declared illegal.

Bonaire has managed to have themselves made into a sancutary and does a great job in protecting the reef.

I know that I am not going to change anyone

just thought I would let you know that there is opposition to spearfishermen.

not just the local fisherman

reef fish are not for eating

so much better to just enjoy looking at them

why not consider another so called sport?

Islanddave

Sep 3, 2011
Hola Dr1 community,

I have sought out information in the past to help my life and experience here more enjoyable. Well I need your insight again. In the last year I have taken up spearfishing and really enjoy it. Most of my spearfishing buddies live in POP and we ended up going out in either Mimoan or Louperon. Sorry if My spelling of these places is off. As of now I live in Sosua/Cabarette, and traveling to those places from here a few times a week takes it toll. Does anyone on this site who lives in the Sosua/Cab area spearfish and is looking for a partner from time to time? I really am a novice at it but really enjoy it and only trying to get better. Thanks again for your help.

I'm moving to Sosua and have been spearfishing all my life. I already have a friend who lives in Cabarete who spearfishes also so when I make the move I'll let you know.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Mountainannie, With all due respect again? what is your knowledge about spearfishing? please tell me what do you know about fishing??.... are you aware that the biggest threat to the world fisheries is NET fishing? miles long of nets trapping all kinds of fish? look it up National Geographic.
2-Also when I mean hit the reef it means go the rocks and crevices to get grouper,snapper, Lionfish who are killing the native fish population? not ORNAMENTAL REEF FISH.
3- PROPER ETHIC SPEARFISHING IS DONE by freediving, which means holding your breath and diving down sometimes 60-70-80 feet to get one shot at a fish...Not Using SCUBA tanks... that is Spearfishing the purest form of fishing there is.
Before you speak about a subject please research and educate yourself about it.
Freediving is one of the most earth friendly and ethical sports in the world. So is Spearfishing. Go an pick on the guys with the big boats mercilessly killing thousands of fish a year or the people that use explosives in the ocean to trap fish.
You obviously have no knowledge of fishing, I've been doing this all my life. Not going to let you make a wholesale statement like that and let you get away with it. Research before you throw your hat in the ring.
oceanspear

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I know very little about fishing

i know a lot about snorkeling

i have no wish to argue

just to let the spear fishermen know that they are resented both by the local fishermen and snorkelers and divers

it is repulsive to see people going out and killing for sport when there are fish for sale on the beach

particularly when the reef fish will eat out of your hands if there are no spear fishermen allowed

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mountainannie, With all due respect again? what is your knowledge about spearfishing? please tell me what do you know about fishing??.... are you aware that the biggest threat to the world fisheries is NET fishing? miles long of nets trapping all kinds of fish? look it up National Geographic.
2-Also when I mean hit the reef it means go the rocks and crevices to get grouper,snapper, Lionfish who are killing the native fish population? not ORNAMENTAL REEF FISH.
3- PROPER ETHIC SPEARFISHING IS DONE by freediving, which means holding your breath and diving down sometimes 60-70-80 feet to get one shot at a fish...Not Using SCUBA tanks... that is Spearfishing the purest form of fishing there is.
Before you speak about a subject please research and educate yourself about it.
Freediving is one of the most earth friendly and ethical sports in the world. So is Spearfishing. Go an pick on the guys with the big boats mercilessly killing thousands of fish a year or the people that use explosives in the ocean to trap fish.
You obviously have no knowledge of fishing, I've been doing this all my life. Not going to let you make a wholesale statement like that and let you get away with it. Research before you throw your hat in the ring.
oceanspear

Mr. AE will be going spearfishing on the south coast over the next month or so, he's Dominican as are his diving buddies. If you will be down south, send me a PM and stop by, I'm sure he'd love the company. Like you, he's very particular about the fish he catches, if it's not good eating it's still swimming the reefs.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I know very little about fishing

i know a lot about snorkeling

i have no wish to argue

just to let the spear fishermen know that they are resented both by the local fishermen and snorkelers and divers

it is repulsive to see people going out and killing for sport when there are fish for sale on the beach

particularly when the reef fish will eat out of your hands if there are no spear fishermen allowed

Spearfishing is the most conservationist way to catch fish in the world. You only spear what you eat, whereas every other fishing method usually has a by-catch of unintended fish.

Where in the world do you think the fish from the beach come from????? They come from the same reef environment that you go snorkeling at. They are caught via fishing line, traps, or nets, which are much more harmful to the environment than spearfishing. Somebody has to kill them, if you want to eat them. Why should he not be allowed to catch fish to eat for himself?

Thats like saying don't kill a cow, eat the meat from the supermarket!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
spearfishermen take very little fish compared to hook and line. Fishermen resent anyone else taking what they see as "their fish" or someone on "their spot". Pollution and the filthy runoff are much bigger threats to the fish population than a few people spearfishing. Spearing is restricted to the relatively shallow water close to shore. The majority of the fish live in much deeper water where no one is spearing.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Welll These guys in Sosua and Cabarete spearfish for anything they can kill they do eat or sell them( I have seen what the fish for it is mostly small reef fish and this is bad) but I personaly only like to spear lionfish when I see them. I rarely see the guys in Cabarete with big fish always small reef fish I believe you have to go out further to get bigger fish I also think they havent been educated on how to spear and catch lionfish safely.

Last edited:

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
that lady has no knowledge of the sport. First of all I am dominican born with european parents. I have every right to fish in my country and so does everyone else who does it with ethics. That lady does not have a clue whatsoever of what spearfishing and freediving is. There is no point to have a conversation with someone without the knowledge. Spearfishing has been practice for thousands of years, by the greeks, egiptians, italians, american indians, hawaiians,... and I cant wait to say this...Dominican fishermen as well. The sad reality is that most used the stupic long nets and catch everything in between. Mountainannie you live in Gazcue...do you want to see KILLLING... go to el malecon and see how they catch fish with nets and kill all of them. that is unethical. Everytime I go spearfishing I am risking a blackout (if you dont know what that is search it. also called samba)...because I CHOOSE TO spearfish by breathold, not using scuba tanks cause I feel its cheating. To educate you a little WHAT YOU CALL SNORKELING IS the beginnings of freediving, where the novice doesnt venture that deep in the ocean or go to depths beyond 15 feet...snorkelers tend to stay at the top of the water observing.
Go to the Carolinas, or Lousiana and tell those guys they can't hunt...see where they send you....

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Oceanspear I dont think shes talking about the same type of spear fishing most of the guys I see spearing here on the NC are spear small reef fish in shallow waters. I know your talking about going out in a boat going down past 30 feet and going for bigger game catching 50 lb rock fish. She has a point these guys kill anything even pregnant lobsters ,otocopus, parrot fish you name it they spear it.
In my country in order to spear fish you have to be 1 mile off shore also its illegal to catch parrot fish.
I understand your point but and hers as well.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My husband and his diving buddy swim out aways before diving - his friend used to free dive to about 75-80', not sure if he still can. They're both in their 60s now. They have no scuba tanks, just snorkel, fins and spearguns. They leave a bucket and net floating above to put the fish in.

Gregory Wales

Mar 7, 2002
www.mhhp.org
The bucket

My husband and his diving buddy swim out aways before diving - his friend used to free dive to about 75-80', not sure if he still can. They're both in their 60s now. They have no scuba tanks, just snorkel, fins and spearguns. They leave a bucket and net floating above to put the fish in.

I wondered what that "bucket" was for. I thought it might be to signal boaters that divers were in the area.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
you know, I suppose, that spearfishing will eventually eliminate snorkeling? The fish will abandon the reef

I worked in scuba diving in Haiti years ago with a diver named Alan Baskin who used to work here as well,, who was friends with Costeau.. and who worked very hard to have spear fishing declared illegal.

Bonaire has managed to have themselves made into a sancutary and does a great job in protecting the reef.

I know that I am not going to change anyone

just thought I would let you know that there is opposition to spearfishermen.

not just the local fisherman

reef fish are not for eating

so much better to just enjoy looking at them

why not consider another so called sport?

Like anything there may be exceptions but I do believe that most spear-fishermen are seeking out fish that they can eat and so will not effect most of the reef fish you are referring too. More damaging to the fish is the non indigenous Lion fish. I did see a spear fisherman coming in on Sosua beach with about 6 Lion fish. He is doing his part to HELP the reef fish. They are causing problems throughout the Caribbean. They are poisonous, to the touch, but supposedly good eating.

May 29, 2006
There are many reef fish that are very tasty. Parrot fish are esp good and very easy to cook. When they are done, the plate bone pulls out from the meat and then you have no bones to worry about. Reef fish are fairly easy to catch, but there are sharks and other predators out there that eat them as well. The main fish I worry about are groupers, which have very long life cycles(over 50 years) and are sitting ducks. If you really want good spear fishing, take a trip to South Caicos, which is a couple hops from POP. I've seen well over 500 fish in an hour in one spot and they are much bigger than in the DR.

And agreed on spearing the Lion Fish. They are here to stay and they are voracious predators that are causing some real damage eating juvenile fish. They all originate from a pet store in FL that was damaged in a hurricane.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
The bucket is in lieu of not having a cooler a place to store the fish, so its not near you. sometimes sharks or barracudas come right up to you and snatch the fish from your hands. It has happen to me twice. Lion fish are wrecking havoc on all native species. they are very good eating fish but must me cooked properly as they are very poisonus. Freediving is not for everyone as you are taking your life in your own hands. You should only freedive with someone as fit as and as capable as you or better. You should also be able to retrieve to the surface someone who has blacked out, remove the mask and start blowing air into the diver's face to make the person regain conciusness, while telling them to breathe. If that fails the next step is mouth to mouth assisted respiration. You must NEVER freedive alone. Not for the faint of heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.