DR/PR Ferry

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Is there an advantage to ferrying w/a vehicle into PR and then buying goods/supplies there to bring back by vehicle in ferry?

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Lots of dominicans do just that!
They shop at the American "Big Box" stores in "PR" then bring everything back.Some take trucks to fill up, then sell the stuff back here.
It depends on what you want to buy.
Just be ready to have your vehicle searched both there, and here.
Cris Coloc'CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Thanks CC. Generally I'm thinking of stuff where it would be more cost-effective and/or accessible to bring in this manner, e.g. electronics, household appliances and furniture, construction/landscaping hardware and materials, etc.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There will be Custom's charges to pay on what you bring back to the DR.
Can't say anything about bringing in a vehicle.
Most times, it turns out to be the same price to buy what you need here in the DR, when you consider your time, effort, and money involved in buying "THERE" and bringing "HERE"!
AND, you will never know how much you will be charged at customs, because they don't know either!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
I've always wondered about buying a vehicle older than 10 yrs. and bringing it over on the ferry as a "tourist," but I believe there is a time limit that you can have it here on the island before it has to be returned.

I also wondered about buying one and bringing it over, then trying to get it legalized and registered once it was here.

It's one thing to be held hostage when it's at the port, it's another thing to have it sitting in your garage while you try to get it done.

They love to rack of storage charges on you at the port.

"R"

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
DR customs has all the bases covered. No matter what tax avoidance scheme you design they will get you. They have been there, done that. They have all the authority and they see everyone as an opportunity. If it does not fit in your suitcase or a carton its cheaper and less of a headache to buy it in the DR.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
JD- I am no expert on the vehicle imports and I understand what you want to do. I did not mean to infer that you wanted to avoid any taxes. I remember posts from people who did bring in vehicles via calling them classics or for a special purpose and if memory serves me correctly they were absolutely roasted by customs and would never do it again. I recall one saying he paid taxes equal in value to the cost of the vehicle. No one gets out whole in any transaction involving customs. Just curious-what kind of vehicle do you want to bring in?