Getting Canadian citizenship for baby

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Just got done getting my baby registered for a Canadian Citizenship Certificate.

Here is what it took to get it done.

I am in Santiago so I went down to the Dominican registry office and requested a legalized birth certificate. Cost 400 pesos for that and then sent to another window to get it legalized(long line, about 10), another 300 pesos. Took about 45 minutes, not bad but could have been reduced if these people could have one person doing the entire document.

Got 4 passport pictures at the mall, only need 2 but that's what I got. 150 pesos.

Drove to Puerto Plata to the Counsulate of Canada (no lineup) and presented my documents. The very helpful lady told me that the birth certificate needed to be translated and certified by a translator. She gave me the address and off I went. Not very far at all.

They wouldn't do it until the next day but when I told them I would have it done somewhere else they changed their tune and said 45 minutes. I filled out the application form given by the counsulate while I waited. Cost 800 pesos.

Back to the counsulate. (still no line) the lady looked it all over, looked good, paid my fee 2900 pesos and out the door. It will arrive at my address in 5 to seven months. All done.

Total cost 4550 pesos

The next step is to get a passport. There is no rush. Must be done in the childs birth country(here) Dominican parent must authurize as well as Canadian parent. It can be done right away if necessary without waiting for the Canadian Citizenship Certificate. When chid travels without the Dominican parent a permission to travel document must be presented.

palmiche53

Dec 17, 2012
If were born in Canada you can register your foreign born child as a Canadian but the new law does not grant this right to non-born Canadian citizen, same as most European countries.

devdev

May 14, 2011
thanks for the helpful info~after I get my cedula, that is the next thing I will be doing!!!

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
If were born in Canada you can register your foreign born child as a Canadian but the new law does not grant this right to non-born Canadian citizen, same as most European countries.

As I understand it, the change in the Act means that only first-generation children born out of Canada are eligible. This was in response to the discovery that there were people with dual citizenship who held Can citizenship as a convenience. Some were third-generation born in wherever-land; their parents had never seen Canada; their grandparents had immigrated, got their papers and then gone home to come back occasionally or never. These third-gen "Canadians" would then insist on such things as: evacuation from their country when trouble brewed, Old Age Security if they did re-immigrate, and so on.

This was one of the few things that Harper has done of which I heartily approve.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Just got done getting my baby registered for a Canadian Citizenship Certificate.

Back to the counsulate. (still no line) the lady looked it all over, looked good, paid my fee 2900 pesos and out the door. It will arrive at my address in 5 to seven months. All done.

....Sounds good, but I might wait until it had actually arrived at your address in 5 to seven monthes before announcing "fait accompli".:nervous:
:nervous:

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
....Sounds good, but I might wait until it had actually arrived at your address in 5 to seven monthes before announcing "fait accompli".:nervous:
:nervous:
good point....don't count your chickens until they hatch......but I am counting on the Canadian postal service and such...in the past I received government documents before the expected date....for example a passport promised in 2 weeks arrived in 4 days

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
well the chickens are now counted. The certificate was recieved today. The baby is now a Canadian citizen born in DR. From the application to now is 4 months and a few days.