Does anybody miss home?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Every year I go through 2-3 times of slumps.
I know time will heal everything but I do miss family and friends, good food and fresh air etc...
I know I can always take a quick flight back and come back but what are your alternate remedy for home sickness and stress? Me looking at schedules and lack of time isn't going to allow me go to go back to New Jersey so I would like to know how anybody had their stress/home sickness subside by doing special activity.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Go to a tranquil hotel in Las Terrenas. Not a luxury place, maybe no a/c. Something like Casa Robinson. Enjoy the beaches. Day trip to Playa el Valle in Samana for lunch on the beach.

Go to Jarabacoa. Enjoy the cooler weather, rivers, and falls.

Drive to the south... Barahona, el Paraiso, etc. Stop anywhere interesting along the way for a Presidente and to enjoy the views.

In summary, make your own memories and special spots in DR. Away from the city and a little more rustic. You'll soon find your favorite escapes here and think more about what those in NJ are missing!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If I were from New Jersey, I doubt I would miss it much. I was originally from New York, but I don't miss New York. For the 10 years before I moved to the DR I lived in California. Now that I do miss from time to time and go back there as often as possible.

Good suggestion if you don't have the time or money to fly "home" often to check out the "other corners" of the DR. From Monte Christi to Samana, Bavaro and Santo Domingo, I have been. Never been to the southwest corner of the country, but it looks interesting. Just not terribly accessible from the north coast.

Do you do Skype /Google Video Chat with Family and Friends? I'm also on Facebook a lot so really I don't miss them at all...lol!!!
I do miss being able to talk with strangers. I will learn Spanish eventually though so I know i will be able to talk about nothing to everyone soon enough :)

LOL Windeguy I was gonna say the exact thing about Jersey! JAJAJAJA

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hey, no picking on New Jersey.

And this is from someone born and bred in NYC/LI who was heartbroken when she had to put Jersey plates on her car 30 years ago. NJ kind of grows on you.

It was nice raising our kids with sand in their shoes instead of concrete under their feet.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't really miss poland. but i do miss london, a lot. and i miss my friends: skype and phone are not good enough. i miss public libraries. i miss snow.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
I totally understand what your going through! After 6 years I still get the slump from time to time!! Miss hugging my kid and just hanging with friends!!
CFA123, has made some great suggestions!! We to take little time outs in some of our favourite places. One of mine is Los Gringos, an overnight in Santiago, just to change it up!
Being from Ontario, the weather deters me from hopping a plane during the nasty months!!!! lol
For me, I recognize that I am having a slump, talk about it, and keep busy with little projects or just call people more often!!!
Not sure that we ever stop missing the familiar way of life, but the longer we live here the better our language skills and support system of friends gets and that has been the saving grace for me!!! I am a social being and need that contact.
Hang in and let yourself have your slump and know that some of us go through it too!!!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

And this is from someone born and bred in NYC/LI who was heartbroken when she had to put Jersey plates on her car 30 years ago. NJ kind of grows on you.

Kind of like a fungus?

It was nice raising our kids with sand in their shoes instead of concrete under their feet.

Since your from the "real NY" area downstate, I was from the capitol region of NY, I know that you are familiar with all of the Jersey jokes made by New Yorkers even more than I. No harm intended, just good clean fun. In reality I just don't like the north east region of the US very much. I hated the weather there.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
As Agatha Christie would say: "Never try to go back to a place where you have been happy."

If you miss home, temporary visits make it worse. Only go back when you are doing it for good, and even then, it won't be the same place anymore. Furthermore, we tend to idealize home and remember just the good things. In the end, home is where your love is.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012

It seems like some people who do not like New Jersey are not familiar with southern NJ.Immediately
Newark,Jersey City,Patterson,etc comes to mind.Northern and Southern Jersey are worlds apart.

By the way AE,I was raised on Long Island.Do you remember Lake Ronkonkoma?My father used to take
my sisters to swim during the summer vacation as a child and Jones beach.

Last edited:

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
YES the state of New Jersey have the swamp and that nasty stretch of highway with god awful smell but DON'T SAY CRAP ABOUT MY STATE! :rambo:

In seriousness I miss the basic things not the state itself. Like I said friends and family and good food and fresh air....
I miss the quick 20 minutes driving trip to New York City. I miss the gathering with family or friends at the good Steakhouse like Cliff's in Fort Lee where IMHO serve one of the best porterhouse in Bergen County, and authentic Korean restaurants drinking bottles of korean liquor and drinking warm sake and eat sashimi and talk about fishing with the Sushi chef and many many restaurants and bars in Hoboken etc... Or 1 1/2 hour ride to go to nearby ski resort, drinking hot chocolate, and stop by micro brewery on the way back, or go to Great Adventure and see my wife and son enjoy the zoo and the rides.

And so on....

Good advice on Jarabacoa, I was there once perhaps its about time I visit and see if the air is cleaner then down here....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Since your from the "real NY" area downstate, I was from the capitol region of NY, I know that you are familiar with all of the Jersey jokes made by New Yorkers even more than I. No harm intended, just good clean fun. In reality I just don't like the north east region of the US very much. I hated the weather there.

I hate the NE weather too, if I never saw snow again it would be too soon. Actually, I had the best of two worlds growing up. Weekdays in the city, and almost every weekend in the mountains at my grandparents' farm in Middletown [Orange County]. When I say farm, I mean that's how my grandfather paid the bills and raised 11 kids. Cows, horses, chickens, etc. Endless acres of onions in 'black dirt'.

I swear to you that when I go to Long Island people drive differently around me because of the Jersey plates. They're waiting for me to do something stupid.:D

We will never live in DR year round, the plan is 6 months each place. Not so much because we'd miss the US, just too hard to leave the kids, grandkids and other family. We're a close knit bunch.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
It seems like some people who do not like New Jersey are not familiar with southern NJ.Immediately
Newark,Jersey City,Patterson,etc comes to mind.Northern and Southern Jersey are worlds apart.
In my opinion the city is getting way too many jokes because its so near by two big cities. Yes NJ have couple of "one of the most dangerous" city but like you said beside those few places. The New Jersey is very good place to live and raise kids.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I hate the NE weather too, if I never saw snow again it would be too soon. Actually, I had the best of two worlds growing up. Weekdays in the city, and almost every weekend in the mountains at my grandparents' farm in Middletown [Orange County]. When I say farm, I mean that's how my grandfather paid the bills and raised 11 kids. Cows, horses, chickens, etc. Endless acres of onions in 'black dirt'.

I swear to you that when I go to Long Island people drive differently around me because of the Jersey plates. They're waiting for me to do something stupid.:D

We will never live in DR year round, the plan is 6 months each place. Not so much because we'd miss the US, just too hard to leave the kids, grandkids and other family. We're a close knit bunch.
You should try to drive more north if you want to see driving stupid. Those people in Massholes don't know how to drive at all.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

By the way AE,I was raised on Long Island.Do you remember Lake Ronkonkoma?My father used to take
my sisters to swim during the summer vacation as a child and Jones beach.

You're right Bronzie. I've only lived in two places in NJ - Princeton/Lawrenceville for almost 2 years, and then my little Absecon Island, which I love.

I grew up in Bellmore, Jones beach was my stomping ground, but only Field 4 :)

From Ronkonkoma I'm surprised you didn't go to Fire Island instead. My dad took us there sometimes, he loved the waves.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You should try to drive more north if you want to see driving stupid. Those people in Massholes don't know how to drive at all.

LOL Koreano.....it's all relative I think. NYers hate NJ drivers. Southern NJ drivers hate Pennsylvania drivers. I think we're all just territorial.

But we ALL hate Dominican drivers.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
You're right Bronzie. I've only lived in two places in NJ - Princeton/Lawrenceville for almost 2 years, and then my little Absecon Island, which I love.

I grew up in Bellmore, Jones beach was my stomping ground, but only Field 4 :)

From Ronkonkoma I'm surprised you didn't go to Fire Island instead. My dad took us there sometimes, he loved the waves.

Never went to Fire Island.I do have in mind to visit the Hamptons,so maybe I will make it there.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hey, your from Jersey. what exit? I was born and raised in Essex County, Verona, the land of Tony Soprano. Speaking of which go on line and watch past episodes. You'll get your NJ fix. Bad-a-Bing.

LTSteve