Positives experiences from D.R. schools

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Anybody has any positive experience on the transition from U.S. schools to D.R. private schools? I feel like the schools here in the U.S. have failed and keep on short changing the kids so much here,with classes of 25+ kids and merging special ed with mainstream(nothing against SE) But then you also hear,that D.R. private schools would advanced the kids just to keep the money flow coming from the parents.I'm not saying one is better than the other,just wanted to hear experiences from people that have experienced both side of the river.I remember growing up,I knew the teacher would slap me on the wrist with the ruler(un reglazo!) Here you'll go to jail.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
My younger brother and sister came to DR when they were 11 and 9 respectively. Until then they had attended schools within the Maryland Public school system while living in DC metro area. I would say their transition was pretty much seamless school wise. They attended St. Michael's school in SD. The only thing I would say I didn't like was that the kids lived like in a bubble. Phisically they were here, but their lives were almost 100% US-related, and so after school they had problems coping with real life in DR. Eventually they both ended up going back north, to the states one and to Canada the other, to attend college and never really came back.
One of the reasons I was looking so bad for a chance to be trasnferred to DR was that part of my family was here, but then I found out they never really were. If somebody is planning to move to DR for good, I would strongly recommend sending their kids to private non-english schools.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I think about that dilemma on an almost daily basis.
My girls go to "Colegio Arroyo hondo".
We are most likely the poorest family in the school!
Their classmates are in the US all the time.
Birthday party invitations always always include, "Bring Your Bathing Suit"!
Gifts are expected to be in the 50 dollar range.
However, when I consider the alternative, I know they should stay where they are.
"Connections" are all important when it comes time to get a good job, or a "Good Husband"!
I would like them to go to high school in the USA, then return to the DR for university.
But as has been said, once they leave here, they might never come back.
I'll be in "Heaven" by then, so I'll have to wait until Chip shows up to let me know how things turned out! :ermm:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
I would make sure to check what kind of education/degrees and experience the teachers and administrators have. I have had relatives move back to the DR from the States and the education the kids got was not great. They had to spend lots of money on tutors once the kids graduated and wanted to attend college in the U.S.

I also compare the education my kids are getting in a suburban public school to what a relative's kids get in what is supposed to be one of the better (extremely expensive) schools in the DR and there is no comparison. My kids school has higher standards of teaching and my kids are far more advanced than the cousins in the DR.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
My kids go to a regular private Dominican school. I do not consider it to be top-notch, nor do I consider it to be a dump. It is adequate for my needs as I think of education a little differently. I am a nurse and I do not remember crap from Chemistry, Algebra, or English Lit. I do not feel that my kids need to go to some A++ school to get ahead in life. As long as they have a good solid foundation of education, I am happy. I expect them to go to college in the States. Worse case scenario, they go to Community college for 2 years before transferring to a 4- year top notch University. I know several doctors who have gone that route, one that is just finishing up a research study at Duke University, and everything that he has ever written ends with MD, PhD (and a few other initials he has acquired), Duke University graduate. If he had never told you that he started off in Community college, you'd never know.
Too many people put too much emphasis on the cost of the school and parents of the other students that attend it.
Just give my kids a good basic education, a solid foundation on which to build and I am happy. Look at me....I went to school in the projects of Harlem and then in the slums of Virginia and I just did my taxes and I made $109,500 last year. If my kids prosper enough to make half of that, I will have done my job.

SHALENA

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I would make sure to check what kind of education/degrees and experience the teachers and administrators have. I have had relatives move back to the DR from the States and the education the kids got was not great. They had to spend lots of money on tutors once the kids graduated and wanted to attend college in the U.S.

I also compare the education my kids are getting in a suburban public school to what a relative's kids get in what is supposed to be one of the better (extremely expensive) schools in the DR and there is no comparison. My kids school has higher standards of teaching and my kids are far more advanced than the cousins in the DR.

We get a number of Dominican American kids back from NY, or from Spain...etc and usualy they are behind in math, reading, and writing. The ones that come back from Florida seem to be more advanced so based on what I've seen some of the schools in the NYC area are doing a poor job. I can't comment on high school.

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
I suppose if people are living in poor neigbhborhoods, their kids will most likely be attending crappy schools. I do agree that a big number of the schools in NYC are failing, but that has a lot to do with the parents also.

I just read an article not too long ago about a H.S. school in the Bronx that will be closing and the majority of the students are Dominican. The students leave the school for extended periods of time, they speak very little English, and there is very little parental involvement.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"RGV" has it Sooooooooooooooo Right!
It's the PARENT'S responsibility to ensure that their children are very well educated!
First you must send your kids to the best school you can afford!
EVEN, if you have to make the "Ultimate Sacrifice", and stop drinking "Presidente" every day!
Even if you have to stay home on the weekends, and NOT go to the "Colmadon", or Disco!
Even if you don't have to spend what's left of your money on the latest, "Blabeeeri", "Teni Nik", or Designer "Knock Offs"!
How many times have you seen a Dominican parent reading,to,or with, their child?
How many times have you seen a Dominican sitting with their child doing "Homework"?
How many times have you seen a Dominican down on the floor playing with their child?
How many times have you seen a Dominican playing "Board Games" with their children?
How many times have you seen a Dominican doing ANYTHING with their children????
And YELLING at them doesn't count!
ONLY Chip, and Bob Sanders, or as I call him, just, "BS", have seen the above "Mirages"!
It's the schools task to present material for children to learn, it's the parent's responsibility to see that they are Educated!
Those who blame the "Schools" need to look in the mirror if they want to know who really deserves a "Failing Grade"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2007
We get a number of Dominican American kids back from NY, or from Spain...etc and usualy they are behind in math, reading, and writing. The ones that come back from Florida seem to be more advanced so based on what I've seen some of the schools in the NYC area are doing a poor job. I can't comment on high school.

It may depend, in part, what state you are from.

Education Week: States Show Spotty Progress on Education Gauges

But, it is also important not to judge the education in an entire state based on the performance observation of a few students.

Lindsey