To Las Terrenas via coastal road or S?nchez?

rsmalling

Mar 3, 2013
To get to Las Terrenas from the mainland the road splits at the Saman? Airport. We have a driver. Should we take the coastal DO-133 or go via S?nchez (I read that this is more scenic but is it vomit-inducing?)? Gracias.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
My wife and I always take the mountain road. The views are fantastic. It is slow going but well worth it. AND there is no toll. We often take a picnic and find the best spot (views). We take out time, more time than money.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
My wife and I always take the mountain road. The views are fantastic. It is slow going but well worth it. AND there is no toll. We often take a picnic and find the best spot (views). We take out time, more time than money.

I totally agree! Take the road from Sanchez over the mountain to LT. You will find the time well spent.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Take the new highway. The vistas are nothing less than spectacular. It cost rd450 but worth every Peso. The road up and over the mountain is also very nice . It has been re-paved but there are many switchbacks and hairpin turns. If you are driving this is fun. If you are riding it can be nausiating. From the airport to LT on the new road about 30 minutes. Over the mountain it is about 50 minutes. Take the mountain route on the way home then you will experience both routes. Don't forget to have the camera handy. Many photo opps. Enjoy the ride.

LTSteve

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I usually split the difference... Sanchez on the way there and toll road for the return.

The scenery leaving LT is better than when entering, I find.
The Sanchez road is breathtaking too - Samana Bay.....

The time difference is about 30 minutes .... correct me somebody

With a driver, you'll see plenty on the mountain road.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I usually split the difference... Sanchez on the way there and toll road for the return.

The scenery leaving LT is better than when entering, I find.
The Sanchez road is breathtaking too - Samana Bay.....

The time difference is about 30 minutes .... correct me somebody

With a driver, you'll see plenty on the mountain road.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
There is a point on the mountain road when returning from LT where your round a bend, still fairly high on the mountain and the entire Samana Bay appears in front of you...it is amazing! There are some pretty great views as you enter LT as well, but for me that view on the way back is a mini-highlight of the trip!

That being said, the new highway is beautiful and you have a great view of the ocean almost the entire drive, but the entrance to LT isn't dramatic at all... If you want to try both routes, I would take the new highway to LT and the mountain road back...

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
the new tollroad is one of the most beautiful roads in the DR. Amazing views!!! Adn yes, it costs almost 500 pesos now. But if you take the old road you will spent that almost 500 pesos at petrol. Longer distance, many curves and many ups and downs.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
He is right. It is 27kms on the new stretch of road and about 45kms going over the mountain. 25 minutes on the new stretch and about 50 minutes over the hill. At $6us a gallon it will come close to equalling out cost wise but both routes are beautiful.

LTSteve

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
IMO, the tollroad is prettier going back to Nagua...... the view is in front ofyou going that way.

The mountain road is pretty both ways.

In dollars its a coin toss..... a matter of how you spend your day....

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
That being said, the new highway is beautiful and you have a great view of the ocean almost the entire drive, but the entrance to LT isn't dramatic at all... If you want to try both routes, I would take the new highway to LT and the mountain road back...
It depends on the time of day and season.

When the sun is low in the afternoon sky the Sanchez road can be brutal.

I'd go the Sahchez road, and return the coastal road.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You are right. The vistas are nicer heading back to El Catey. As you are coming down the mountain check out the cave on your left. If you want a unique photo take one in the cave facing out to the light and the ocean.

LTSteve

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Since the new Boulevard del Atlantico was built, I have never gone back to the old mountain road. Why torture yourself?
And stopping on the side of the road for a picnic? Wow, that's gutsy, it is only a matter of time before they get robbed.