MOJITO BAR is being Shut Down!! HELP US

Antonia Cantillo

May 30, 2012
Mojito Bar one of the best places to have a drinks and something to eat has been shut down yesterdat March 15 due to not being able to access a bathroom anymore. Here's how the situation happened described by the owners...

"As some of you know, Mojito Bar has been closed due to lack of having access to the bathroom. Without notice, the bathroom access was shut down when the hotel was sold recently. We apologize deeply to our guests and to the community for the inconvenience in this regard and we are doing everything we can to solve the situation.

We appreciate your support and we are so grateful for all the messages and the support given to us in this.

Our guest Suzanne made a very good point in her message to us today. Thank you Suzanne:

"To all the wonderful people who own, work and run the Mojito bar in Cabarete we hope and pray you win your battle to stay open. You are one of the nicest places to visit. I am living here for another 2 years and life on Cabarete beach would not be the same without you. This closer due to lack of a bathroom from the sale of the hotel is crazy! People should learn to support each other in business and for the common good of the entire tourism experience . We will support you 100% , saying prayers for all of you and your staff! "

Please join our group https://www.facebook.com/groups/150187288476800/ to follow our updates and show your support. Thank you everyone! "

PLEASE HELP MOJITO STAY OPEN! WE NEED MORE BUSINESSES LIKE THIS IN CABARETE: honest, friendly service, great prices & high quality food + drinks!

May 29, 2006
Do they have porta-potties down there? That and a hand-washing station and they should be all good.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Yes, it's a real shame! Great food, drinks, reasonable prices and great service. I understand that they still have a substantial lease in place. I just hope that they can find a different location or solve the current conflict.
There were TV cameras there yesterday. Did anyone see the News on TV?

May 29, 2006
A lease that includes access to the bathrooms should be transferable, but Dominican law can have some surprises. I just hope they aren't on the hook to continue to pay rent on a site with no bathroom access.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
How about just adding a bathroom??? I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap... but in the big picture view, well worth the expense.

Antonia Cantillo

May 30, 2012
They are talking about doing a "manifestacion" to let them open again and go back to work... just a question: anyone else might think they are trying to kick them out of business because they where doing good? ---- just a thought...:bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:

bilko

Aug 5, 2011
Mojito Bar has a great location and great prices which has brought it great success. I would guess other
establishments are envious but I believe the law states a bathroom access is a necessity for a beach bar.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Not a smart concept to open a bar which relies on others (bathroom) and then not to invest getting their own bathroom despite the business is a big success and the means for it obviously there, my 2 cents...

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Well never been there, sound like it is well liked so must be a great place, but come on a BAR and a Restaurant WITHOUT a restroom facilities COME ON, that is not wise/sanitary/wholesome or anything good at all, after all what goes in must come out........

This is the main reason I will not eat street food, I mean the vender/cook out in the street all day, no sanitary facilities either, I mean they do do their business some time, then come back and prepare and serve the food with the same hands they just handled what ever with and no washing...............

i

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
i do believe there were some issues along these lines...simple jealousy :(

I don't think I've ever eaten there. Is the hotel and resturant adjacent to each other or just close? Maybe the new hotel owners want the space for their own restuarant.

If that's the case then not jealousy, just business.

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
I loved the food and good prices at Mojito but I don't think the lack of a bathroom was the only problem.
I think they got shut down because they did not have the proper permissions to run a bar on the beach and the other bar owners figured it out.
Their prices were to low to be fully licensed...

Fredo

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
They are starting by asking for help, but no suggestion of what kind of help would be helpful, Sign petitions, pay for a bathroom? What?

They are trying to get enough people to show up for a protest and get enough publicity to force some action.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is from the facebook page "Everybody for Mojito Bar" http://www.facebook.com/groups/150187288476800/

Ok ya tenemos la fecha para la manifestaci?n!!! S?bado 23 marzo a las 4pm nos vamos a reunir todos!!! Gracias a todos por su apoyo!!!

Next Saturday at 4pm we are going to get together and start a motion to keep Mojito bar open. Please come and join us.

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
I loved the food and good prices at Mojito but I don't think the lack of a bathroom was the only problem.
I think they got shut down because they did not have the proper permissions to run a bar on the beach and the other bar owners figured it out.
Their prices were to low to be fully licensed...

Fredo

Fredo, you clearly do not know what you are talking about so might be best just to keep quiet

Thank you, nice warm welcome to the DR1 forum ;)).