Tricom internet issues since Friday morning in El Cortecito

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Any Tricom customers here having trouble. My service was out most of Friday during the day and has been intermittent since. My bandwidth is fluctuating constantly from full speed (1.7Mbps) to worse than dialup.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Is this wimax coverage for Tricom that was out? Wimax can be weather-sensitive, at least here in Chicago.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
not sure of your location but in the colonial zone there have been Tricom trucks out in force for several days cutting down "old" telephone cables - I cringe when I see them working at my building and hope they can tell the difference between Tricom cables and Claro.......but I have my doubts.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
In overall, internet connections, no matter which company, at el Cortecito, are horrible ...
I have two different connections from 2 different companies just to "survive" and being able to receive and send work by email. Some days are hell to be able to do that ...

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I don't know if this is your case, but Spring equinox is in full swing these days, and it usually disrupts satellite signals. That might be affecting Tricom's antennas.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Is this wimax coverage for Tricom that was out? Wimax can be weather-sensitive, at least here in Chicago.

Yes, this is Wimax. I've had disruptions in the past but this has been going on for almost a week now. Currently my download speeds are almost normal (around 1.5 Mbps) but my upload speeds are just about zero. I'm unable to get any work done (I work from home).

not sure of your location but in the colonial zone there have been Tricom trucks out in force for several days cutting down "old" telephone cables - I cringe when I see them working at my building and hope they can tell the difference between Tricom cables and Claro.......but I have my doubts.

El Cortecito. Tricom internet here is wireless and in my experience rather reliable.

In overall, internet connections, no matter which company, at el Cortecito, are horrible ...
I have two different connections from 2 different companies just to "survive" and being able to receive and send work by email. Some days are hell to be able to do that ...

Can you please elaborate on which companies and service you have? I'm in the process of getting DSL from Claro. They claim they can provide 10 Mbps.

I don't know if this is your case, but Spring equinox is in full swing these days, and it usually disrupts satellite signals. That might be affecting Tricom's antennas.

I'm fairly certain Tricom's service does not utilize satellites.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If your place is wired for Claro, get it. The others are crap. Claro, once it is set up right works very well in Bavaro.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

Wimax isn't satellite based, but cell-tower based. A tower cell may have been damaged, which would cause an extended degradation.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I may be spending 3 months in PC (possibly El Cortecito or Punta Blanca) and was considering Tricom for service. What plan do you have? I was scoping out the 6-8meg service level, anticipating a 50-60% drop in throughput at times.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I may be spending 3 months in PC (possibly El Cortecito or Punta Blanca) and was considering Tricom for service. What plan do you have? I was scoping out the 6-8meg service level, anticipating a 50-60% drop in throughput at times.

I've got their wireless service (WiMAX)... it's not 3G. It was originally intended to provide "last-mile" internet to remote places where running lines would be cost prohibitive. The WiMAX standard was designed to support speeds of 30-40 Mbps. Recent updates to the standard allow for 1 Gbps (fixed, not mobile). That said, Tricom's WiMAX service maxes out at around 1.7 - 1.8 Mbps. At least that's the best I've ever gotten. I'm not sure if Tricom is artificially limiting the bandwidth or if they just implemented the cheapest/slowest system available.

I've never understood why WiMAX hasn't thrived in countries like the DR. I suspect someone that understands the intricacies of 3G vs WiMAX would know, however my understanding is that WiMAX is a cheaper technology to deploy and maintain.

I'm not familiar with Tricom's line-based internet offerings.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I have 2 Tricom besides my Claro landline.

One WIMAX is 2 Mbs contract which maxes out at 1.7 -1.8 as you say. The other is the 3Mbs contract which has around 2.6 Mbs max.

Claro max out its Download but the Upload I have at 1 MBs never reach this, max. 600 KB.

Here in PB Claro can deliver maximum 4 MBs I was told when trying to upgrade. Not sure in what parts they can deliver the 10 MBs or more.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Ok, the way both your throughput is maxing out, I should be pretty good with Tricom wimax at 6-8meg service plan. I need to be able to video conference back to the office so my bottom has to be at least 2-3meg.

FYI, wimax was intended to compete with cable and DSL internet (as well as simplify the last mile), whereas 3g is more of a mobile phone data connection (delivering ISDN speeds over the cell spectrum). It could be that many of the locals don't have PCs at home and their main internet device is their phone, and the tourists use whatever wifi is made available in the resorts and rental complexes.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Ok, the way both your throughput is maxing out, I should be pretty good with Tricom wimax at 6-8meg service plan. I need to be able to video conference back to the office so my bottom has to be at least 2-3meg.

Tricom's WiMAX service plans max out at 2.6Mbps (as per caribmike)... I actually thought it was 1.8Mbps. The faster plan you are referring to must be either DSL or cable. I don't know anyone that has their DSL/cable service so I'm not sure how reliable they are.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
FYI, since we talk about Tricom service in Bavaro / PC there is no other Tricom service than WIMAX (like DSL / Cable) availabe here.

FYI, wimax was intended to compete with cable and DSL internet (as well as simplify the last mile), whereas 3g is more of a mobile phone data connection (delivering ISDN speeds over the cell spectrum). It could be that many of the locals don't have PCs at home and their main internet device is their phone, and the tourists use whatever wifi is made available in the resorts and rental complexes.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Tricom's WiMAX service plans max out at 2.6Mbps (as per caribmike)... I actually thought it was 1.8Mbps. The faster plan you are referring to must be either DSL or cable. I don't know anyone that has their DSL/cable service so I'm not sure how reliable they are.

They have tiered service levels listed on their website, 5, 6, and 10meg among them. Whether they can actually deliver against those speeds is the $64k question.

http://www.tricom.net/pageview.aspx?ArticleID=6

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Thought I'd give an update if anyone is interested. Let me first clarify that on Monday I called Tricom and had them increase my service to the maximum bandwidth available (3 Mbps). I'm not even sure what the upload bandwidth is supposed to be but it's definitely better than before. My download bandwidth is pretty constant around 2.8 Mbps. Here's a recent speed test.

2621169570.png

Upload speed is awesome, but sadly it's still inconsistent. Here's another speed test from about 4 hours ago:

2620808866.png

For now though, it will have to do.

The best part of it all is that they adjusted my rate. I was still paying the same amount for the 2 Mbps since when I first got the service 4 years ago. I'm now paying 2000 pesos per month LESS for the 3 Mbps service. Guess I should have called sooner.

One of these days I'll get 10 Mbps service.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Following up with my own experience in PC with Tricom; can ya say "rapido" too fast? The new mobile devices connect to a 4G LTE network via SIM card, and in parts of El Cortecito, I'm getting 17+mb throughput. I need to determine if I can get a larger data cap, as I've gone through 2GB of data since 29 May and my plan allows for 10gb. But Tricom will clearly meet my data speed needs while in PC.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010

LOL... seriously???? I don't see what the equinox would have to do with satellite signals. BUT.. you might want to pass this on to the WiFi providers, I'm sure they would like to add it to their list of "excuses".