Best way to get from Zona Colonial to Las Terrenas?

SharonY

Mar 17, 2013
Hello,

I just joined this forum. Could anyone please let me know how to get from Zona Colonial to Las Terrnenas? (we will have luggage also)

I have been researching on the internet and I read some posts on this forum, but many are old (and I understand there is a new highway...) or are regarding how to get to Semana, which is why I am bothering everyone with my question :)

Thank you very much in advance for your time to reply!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
There is a bus very close to the Colonial Zone that goes directly to Las Terrenas. You can bring luggage but it will cost you a little extra and you need to get to the bus station early to make sure they can fit you in. The cost is very reasonable at about $9usd and they will probably charge you $2-3 dollars extra per person for the luggage. The name of the bus is Transporte Las Terrenas. It leave Santo Domingo at 8:30, 9:30, 11:00AM and 1:40 and 3:00PM. Call the terminal to get street address 809-687-1470. Bring pesos. That is normally what they take and it will be a whole lot easier.

LTSteve

SharonY

Mar 17, 2013
Thank you for the detailed info LTSteve! I will do just that.

Givadogahome, I have been researching on the internet and I read it is not a good idea at all to rent a car.... but thanks anyway.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Steve is right, the guagua from Santo Domingo to LT is the best way in my opinion. I don't think they charge for luggage though. When I last went I took my suitcase onboard and fit it under the seat, no charge. There is no restroom on the guagua so be prepared for the 3hr ride. The guagua leaves from the parada behind Plaza Llama on Calle Barahona. Take a taxi from CZ.

SharonY

Mar 17, 2013
No restroom: good to know in advance, thank you! And now I know where to get the guagua from, great!

Ron or Steve, do you know the easiest way to get back from Las Terrenas, but straight to the airport SDQ if possible? Or will I have to go to Santo Domingo using the same outbound guagua then get to the airport from there?

Thank you both for your help :)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
They do charge for lugage if you have more than one bag or an over sized bag per person. There are no bathrooms on the bus. For the guys sometimes they stop on the side of the highway. I don't think any of the women will be interested. It is actually pretty funny. The bus ride is only about 3hrs. They drop you off in the tourist area of LT across from Peseo Plaza. Where are you staying I can tell you what to do next.

LTSteve

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Givadogahome, I have been researching on the internet and I read it is not a good idea at all to rent a car.... but thanks anyway.
What is the rationale that you've seen for it not being a good idea, SharonY?

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Make sure you get on the right bus because there are guaguas that go to Samana as well as LT at this location.

SharonY

Mar 17, 2013
Steve; that does sound like a funny sight! I'm staying at Casa Robinson. I just looked on their website, but I don't see a street address.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Sharon, I found the address, calle Barona #129 behind Plaza Lama. If you tell a taxi driver this he will get you to the bus, Transporte Las Terrenas. De nada.

LTSTeve

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
Rent a car.

Am I the only one scared to drive in the DR? I mean if you crash you have to spend days in a third world jail and drivers flee the scene after accidents so they do not get into trouble? Is that correct? Or is that just wrong information that someone told me?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I have lived in Puerto Plata since 2001 and can count on one hand the number of times I have driven a car here. It isn't fear, but simple knowledge that it is too nerve-wracking for me to drive when there are motos that go where they please, when they please.

I have had first-hand experience of just how bad Dominican drivers can be and have decided that the hassle isn't worth it!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I have driven all over the DR. Yes it can be a little scary. You literally have to have eyes in the back of your head and the sides to. People come at you in all directions, on cars, mottos, walking, children, animals and anything else you can think of. You can't be overly cautious otherwise you will get run over. You need to be a driver who is a little aggressive but under control. For being so layed back Dominicans are so impatient when they get behind the wheel. They love the horn, use it as a brake and show no courtesy to pedestrians. On DR roads the largest vehicle has the right of way. If you remember that you will be ok. When it comes down to it driving in Santo Domingo's side streets or in Las Terrenas is like being in a live video game. Run someone over and you lose. That being said I love to drive, have driven around Manhattan so even though the DR is crazy it is still fun.

LTSTeve

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
No restroom: good to know in advance, thank you! And now I know where to get the guagua from, great!

Ron or Steve, do you know the easiest way to get back from Las Terrenas, but straight to the airport SDQ if possible? Or will I have to go to Santo Domingo using the same outbound guagua then get to the airport from there?

Thank you both for your help :)

The bus is doable. Give yourself time. You will need to be able to find a taxi at the bus terminal.
Or when you get there call Apolo Taxi 809 537-000 for them to pick you up. The Apolo Taxi rate is RD$700-800. Get someone at the bus station to explain exactly where the taxi needs to pick you up and get the fare confirmed.
They would need about a half an hour leeway, so give yourself time.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I've visited the DR for multiple times every year for the past 12 and I have NEVER gotten behind the wheel of a car there, and I will never, and I live and drive in Philly, drive in Manhattan, and do the beltway in DC. You're on vacation. Why stress driving? The only driver crazier than a Dominican is an Egyptian, and I wouldn't want to wager who is crazier! Take local transportation; take the gua gua, or the Metro or Caribe Tours, get a taxi or concho, and enjoy.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Am I the only one scared to drive in the DR? I mean if you crash you have to spend days in a third world jail and drivers flee the scene after accidents so they do not get into trouble? Is that correct? Or is that just wrong information that someone told me?

Hmmm, it is people who don't know how to drive or are afraid to commit to what common sense tells you not to that cause all the accidents. If everyone could get on a level playing field and be equally unsure of what is going on then there would be far less chaos.
People exaggerate, if you have a bash and hurt or kill someone and you can't come to and agreement about who owes who what then you may be taken to the police station (as a foreigner you will be expected to pay more than normal). A duty lawyer will be handed to you, if you decline then the threat of being put in the holding cell until you change your mind is real, after a while you will be given the chance to call your lawyer and the whole thing becomes serious. Best to accept the duty lawyer, pay his fee of RD15,000 (which is shared with the capitan), he will take care of getting you out once the capitan tax of 5mil has been paid. If you still can't agree with your victim and the accident happened early enough you might make court the same day where you will be instructed to pick up hospital costs and a little compo.
This is why no one stops, it's just a headache. If you don't actually hurt of kill anyone then grab your tyre iron and slog it out over who's fault it is.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The bus is doable. Give yourself time. You will need to be able to find a taxi at the bus terminal.
Or when you get there call Apolo Taxi 809 537-000 for them to pick you up. The Apolo Taxi rate is RD$700-800. Get someone at the bus station to explain exactly where the taxi needs to pick you up and get the fare confirmed.
They would need about a half an hour leeway, so give yourself time.

If yi\ou are good in Spanish this is going to be easier than if not. There is ALWAYS going to be a taxi at the Parada Las Terrenas... Samana... so do not worry too much about getting a cab to the airport

just leave TIME so you do not stress.

it is only a short drive to the airport and once out of the city on the bridge there is no traffic congestion...

i would say a minimum of three hours before your flight you should have your feet on the ground behind Plaza Lama

as for the casa robinson end

you can walk to it from the bus stop at the cemetary in las terrenas. turn right and go to the Coco Pizza paqrlor and turn right ok that is easy because if you turn left you will be in the water.. first place on the left is Casa Robinson

enjoy your visit

you picked the right town

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Just read that the DR ranks 3rd per capita for the number of road fatalities compared with all UN Countries. That is not a good record but it is not surprising. When they get behind the wheel Dominicans morf into Darth Driver.

LTSteve

SharonY

Mar 17, 2013
For all the reasons stated above by everyone, which correlates to what I had read on the internet previously, I would rather just use the public transport than have the stress of driving in a foreign country, regardless of which country that is.

Also, isn't taking the public transport a great opportunity to experience the culture, chat to the locals if given the chance, people watch, listen to what?s going on around you and enjoy the scenery...?

And thanks Dolores, LTSteve, Ron, Mountainannie for your help and for the information about getting to the stop in SD and getting to Casa Robinson too.

I actually cancelled my package tour to an all inclusive resort in Boca Chica and changed it to four nights in a hotel in Zona Colonial then three nights in Las Terrenas..... now it seems much more like my type of holiday :)

Y hablo espa?ol, as? que todo es m?s f?cil cuando se habla el idioma. :)