what a difference a new modem makes!

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Just installed a new modem from Codetel. Our previous Thomson modem was 5 years old and had started annoyingly disconnecting for a few minutes everyday (up to 20 times a day). With the new bog standard Codetel modem our internet speed up and down has doubled and no more signal loss :p

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Our old Thompson was having schizophrenia, so we sprung for a new Huwai wifi modem from Claro and couldn't be more pleased...

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
Just installed a new modem from Codetel. Our previous Thomson modem was 5 years old and had started annoyingly disconnecting for a few minutes everyday (up to 20 times a day). With the new bog standard Codetel modem our internet speed up and down has doubled and no more signal loss :p

thanks for this post, our Thomson modem shows the same behavior... will be on the phone to get a new one asap ;)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I had the same problem. Called and told them the Wifi did not work. Not true, but got me a new router for free. Never had a problem since.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I have the same problem, but for real. :( Thompson Wifi stopped working like 3 days ago... I want them to switch it for the Huawei HG530.

What I need to do? Just call them and telling them what you did @ 220 1111 or do I have to bring it to them?

I had the same problem. Called and told them the Wifi did not work. Not true, but got me a new router for free. Never had a problem since.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have the same problem, but for real. :( Thompson Wifi stopped working like 3 days ago... I want them to switch it for the Huawei HG530.

What I need to do? Just call them and telling them what you did @ 220 1111 or do I have to bring it to them?

Where do you live? I have a Tech guy on my payroll. I call and he puts in a new modem an hour later.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Pueblo Bavaro. How much does he expect for the service? :)

That is not his area. But I always give him 500 pesos any time I have a problem and a bottle of Rum on holidays.

But if you call and they agree you need a new router they will send someone with one for free. Might take a few years, but you will get it. LOL

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Bad luck then... Gotta take the slower way. Thank you...

When you call make sure to make a note of the order number. It is a long number. Keep it with you and when you see a Claro truck offer the guy some money to fill the order. All he has to do is call in the number you give him and if he has a router he can change yours.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
They didn't buy it I am afraid so I have to buy it... Every client a different treatment, lol.

They gave me 2 options: Change the Thompson for the Huawei and pay 115 DOP on top every month or go to their sucursal and buy it for the 1770 DOP and keep the Thompson which I will do tomorrow...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Strange that so many Thompson modems are failing at the same time, maybe evil Claro pushed a button to render them useless to force people to buy a new modem? ;)

Another question, are these Claro modems pre-configured? They told me one can set it up easily no Technician needed which makes me wonder if I could connect ANY modem to the wall outlet, or am I wrong?

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
I just plugged mine in and used the password on the bottom of the modem. It comes with software CDs but you don't need them.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Love it! "No hay" in Veron Claro Main office...

"Maybe in the sucursal in Plaza San Juan", "Can you give me the phone #?": "No tengo..." Oh boy. Why I have the feeling this will take a while? :)

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Sorry can't help you, I got mine from the La Romana office. You should've asked the Veron office to call around for you or order you one.