Living in other countries

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Just wondering, so many people on this forum have lived in many other countries,
how is living there compared to the DR? south america? barbados? turks and caisos?
virgin islands? I am interested in tropical countries, :)

May 29, 2006
For tropical countries, I live in the Pacific Islands(Marshall Islands) for around 9 months and in the Turks and Caicos Islands for about 4 months(and the DR around 8 months). Both are much smaller islands with very little for hills. The highest point in the Marshalls is only about 6 ft above sea level and the average is around 2. It's an atoll. When big waves come, they have to evacuate to the other side of the island. When there is a tsunami, I worry about them. The Turks and Caicos is VERY hot. Frequent highs above 110? and very little foliage for shade. The plus side of the Turks is there is some great snorkling and SCUBA.

The biggest advantage of the DR as an island is that it's big enough that food and water supplies are self-sufficient. It's very lush compared to a smaller island less than 10 miles across. There is also more music, people have a real culture and it has many more services that you can't get when you are on an island with less than 20,000 people.

The big island of Puerto Rico isn't of much interest to me, but Vieques is a place I'm looking at as an alternative to the DR. I should have access to most items on the mainland and there is a large percentage of English speaking ex main-landers.

I've also visited Palau and Kosrae in the Pacific. Palau is a dump(and also, sand fleas and betel nut) and Kosrae is pretty, but there were barely any businesses to speak of and the only English speakers were missionaries. Hawaii isn't for me, at least Honolulu. The worst was Guam, which is like a giant strip mall with US franchises dominating the island.

As for mainland South America, I'd prob be interested in Chile, Colombia or Argentina. You never know when you're going to visit somewhere and fall in love with the place.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I'm British, used to design gunships for the sultan of Oman. Worked on fluid flow systems on patrol boats during the Iraq first invasion. Designed fluid flow systems for P&Q throughout the world for long periods of time ( year plus on each station). Worked as a prison guard in England, France, Spain, morocco, Norway. Work for Dominican airforce, through British government processing European prisoners.

It's alright, just a job, just like DR is another place to live:cross-eye:)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I lived in NJ. That is like being in a country of it's own....sometimes? A few things that the DR have over other tropical islands are, It is a manageable distance from North America, 3.5 hours from NYC. It is a large Island with a Capital City of close to 3 million people. The weather is very nice except occaissionally during hurricane season. The country is self sustaining. It is the bread basket of the Caribbean. Everything is grown here. Cost of living is reasonable and the infrustructure is good and getting better. the Government is stable. There is something for everyone here, from history to ecology to tourism. When you look at other places take into consideration all these factors the DR is head and shoulders above most.

LTSTeve

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Would you say that it's easier for a foreigner to live here in the DR than other places, for example to stay in the country and just pay an overstay fee when you leave? :chinese:Easier to get residency here than other places? Is it also easier for a foreigner to purchase real estate here? I know it was easy for us, but as I understand other countries can make it difficult and/or not at all?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have a friend that retired to Chile. He loves it there. The climate in Santiago, Chile is very similar to California so it it more Mediterranean than tropical, but it is still an excellent climate in which to live. He said they had just gone 180 days without rain . No mosquitos is a big plus or him. Costs are moderate in Chile and it is not a "third world" country. Great produce, seafood and wine is something he raves about ( he is from the Northeast US so almost anywhere else is better)> He had no problem purchasing a condo in Chile.

It is somewhat expensive and time consuming to become a resident in Chile. Many people just cross the border to renew visas. The DR is still relatively cheap for residency, but the renewal of residency process recently became more difficult here in the DR.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
I lived in NJ. That is like being in a country of it's own....sometimes? A few things that the DR have over other tropical islands are, It is a manageable distance from North America, 3.5 hours from NYC. It is a large Island with a Capital City of close to 3 million people. The weather is very nice except occaissionally during hurricane season. The country is self sustaining. It is the bread basket of the Caribbean. Everything is grown here. Cost of living is reasonable and the infrustructure is good and getting better. the Government is stable. There is something for everyone here, from history to ecology to tourism. When you look at other places take into consideration all these factors the DR is head and shoulders above most.

LTSTeve
This all true, Im sure thats why so many people chose to come here, retire etc.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
For tropical countries, I live in the Pacific Islands(Marshall Islands) for around 9 months and in the Turks and Caicos Islands for about 4 months(and the DR around 8 months). Both are much smaller islands with very little for hills. The highest point in the Marshalls is only about 6 ft above sea level and the average is around 2. It's an atoll. When big waves come, they have to evacuate to the other side of the island. When there is a tsunami, I worry about them. The Turks and Caicos is VERY hot. Frequent highs above 110? and very little foliage for shade. The plus side of the Turks is there is some great snorkling and SCUBA.

The biggest advantage of the DR as an island is that it's big enough that food and water supplies are self-sufficient. It's very lush compared to a smaller island less than 10 miles across. There is also more music, people have a real culture and it has many more services that you can't get when you are on an island with less than 20,000 people.

The big island of Puerto Rico isn't of much interest to me, but Vieques is a place I'm looking at as an alternative to the DR. I should have access to most items on the mainland and there is a large percentage of English speaking ex main-landers.

I've also visited Palau and Kosrae in the Pacific. Palau is a dump(and also, sand fleas and betel nut) and Kosrae is pretty, but there were barely any businesses to speak of and the only English speakers were missionaries. Hawaii isn't for me, at least Honolulu. The worst was Guam, which is like a giant strip mall with US franchises dominating the island.

As for mainland South America, I'd prob be interested in Chile, Colombia or Argentina. You never know when you're going to visit somewhere and fall in love with the place.

Great you have had the opportunities!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I see the DR as a small continent with incredible diversity...

Almost impossible to get island fever here.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
That is the real beauty of the DR is that there are so many things to discover and if you get the urge for the big city you have one to get your fix. Hard to find a more diverse number of eco-systems on an island.

LTSteve

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

This is very true. For example driving from the Northcoast to the capital you can feel a transition taking place. Leave, say, pto plata in your shorts and vest and in a superman like transition arrive in santo Domingo in slacks and a shirt (dramatic license). Leave santo Domingo with pesos in your pocket (if you're lucky) and arrive in punts Cana/bavaro and it has changed into US$. Set off for jarabacoa expecting DR and arrive in European Alps with lots of dark people (infact that is not accurate, there are far more white people in jarabacoa than in European Alps).
But you get my drift!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I have lived in Panama and find very little differences between here and there. Prostitution is more "in your face" here,but under the surface it is there also.h

I don't find it in my face at all on this coast, Northcoast yes, but this coast you would need to be looking for it. Girls here are not grabbing your arms and legs while you stroll along, as my experiences of the Northcoast have been.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
I don't find it in my face at all on this coast, Northcoast yes, but this coast you would need to be looking for it. Girls here are not grabbing your arms and legs while you stroll along, as my experiences of the Northcoast have been.
Its pretty blatant here in Punta Cana, some places here are worse than others, depending what bar/restaurant or
wherever you are.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002

Great point CB. I've always thought of The DR that way as well. When I compare biodiversity of let's say The US with The DR, it's like we're a condensed version of what we have up north. We have mountains, valleys, desert-like climate, tropical rainforest/jungle, lakes, tons of beaches of course, waterfalls, fast rivers for white water rafting, slow rivers for a mellow afternoon, etc, etc, etc...for a small(ish) sized island I agree that we have an incredible amount of diversity.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
No desert like climate, deserts are dry, here is humid, but I get your point, it's warm and often damn hot with no breeze.

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
hello, everyone, I thought I had started a very similar post but no respones, maybe it was blocked? oh well, I think that the Philippines is a great country to live in. The food is great, fresh and cheap. The weather is very similar to DR. The people are very friendly and there are areas where they speak spanish and most every area speak english. There are really nice beaches especially in Boracay. It has its tourist and historic areas such as Mageallean's cross in Cebu city and much more. I wouldn't trade anywhere in the world for DR, but my wife is from the Philippines and we visit often there and Japan. Take care, God bless
Biggs

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
No desert like climate, deserts are dry, here is humid, but I get your point, it's warm and often damn hot with no breeze.

there is plenty of desert climate in the south west.. well, no desert but damn dry. And high cloud forest. I think that i read that there are 11 climate zones in this country.

I have searched australia, tahiti, grenada, puerto rico, mexico, costa rica, guatemala, haiti

i have lived here for nine years

Have not left the island for the last three

have no wish to

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
there is plenty of desert climate in the south west.. well, no desert but damn dry. And high cloud forest. I think that i read that there are 11 climate zones in this country.

I have searched australia, tahiti, grenada, puerto rico, mexico, costa rica, guatemala, haiti

i have lived here for nine years

Have not left the island for the last three

have no wish to

I have never visited anywhere in this land that can not sustain vegetation or would be described as arid (desert climate), a desert climate would create an arid and baron landscape would it not?