Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Buying Used Vehicle: Individual v. Dealer

Trying to save on middle man costs. I understand there is a greater risk when buying from an individual and will attempt to mitigate the risk in different ways. My main concern is having the vehicle repossessed after-the-fact because of an undetected lien/outstanding loan or other encumberance (gravamen). Short of hiring a lawyer (I shudder at the thought), how can I best secure myself against this possibility?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

"If You Don't Know "CARS", Know Your DEALER!!!"
    Where do you live???
    There are a few experienced "DR1ers" that can recommend a reliable dealer in your area.
    Run the "VIN #" through "Car Facts" to know it's history.
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

3. Likes Koreano liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I would always go for dealers. Of course, it may be a little more expensive. But when you go through the whole process of getting the car's title to your name, you end up regretting not taking the dealer route.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon View Post
    "If You Don't Know "CARS", Know Your DEALER!!!"
    Where do you live???
    There are a few experienced "DR1ers" that can recommend a reliable dealer in your area.
    Run the "VIN #" through "Car Facts" to know it's history.
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    I'm in the states now but will be moving in to DR soon. I'll need a vehicle but don't want to go through a dealer. I know about CarFax here. Does it work for vehicles in DR? Does it list possible encumbrances? Does anyone have an experience with losing their vehicle because of some undetected encumbrance, i.e., previous owner putting up the vehicle up as collateral to borrow from an illegitimate loan shark?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless you know the person who is selling the car, get it at the dealer. At least you have a place to go back, when AMET confiscate the vehicle for being reported as stolen. Yes, the other day, I heard a even a dealer bought car turned out to be stolen vehicle.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jabejuventus View Post
    I'm in the states now but will be moving in to DR soon. I'll need a vehicle but don't want to go through a dealer. I know about CarFax here. Does it work for vehicles in DR? Does it list possible encumbrances? Does anyone have an experience with losing their vehicle because of some undetected encumbrance, i.e., previous owner putting up the vehicle up as collateral to borrow from an illegitimate loan shark?
    -Local loan sharks will retain the vehicle's papers, and sometimes even the vehicle itself.
    -Many used vehicles in DR come from the US, so Carfax maybe of a little help. But if you're buying from an individual the car most likely was used here, so bye-bye Carfax. On the other hand, most cars sold by dealers have never been driven here so your Carfax will be as helpful as it can be.

If you don't have anyone you trust to help you get a good deal, I'd say either live here a while before buying the car, or just go straight to a dealer. When you buy an used car, you need to take it to the police to have it checked and this is never a pleasant experience, then get the sale document notarized, then you have to go pay the taxes and then get the new "matricula". And you have to do this within hours of your purchase, otherwise you risk paying for any of the previous owner's wrongdoing. All this process can get really expensive and time consuming. Do your math and then decide.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Carfax will work as long as the Vehicle is from US. Buy the bulk(5) report as you will want to check few and decide if its worth or not. Thing about the car here is the mileage will be about double the average, 5 years old car will have 100k-120k miles. Just look for common trouble "multiple visit to dealers, auctioned off date(few month after big storm is no no), and of course accidents. if the car has none of that and drive and sounds well buy em... You will not likely find 5 years old garage kept 30k miles cars here.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    -Local loan sharks will retain the vehicle's papers, and sometimes even the vehicle itself.
    -Many used vehicles in DR come from the US, so Carfax maybe of a little help. But if you're buying from an individual the car most likely was used here, so bye-bye Carfax. On the other hand, most cars sold by dealers have never been driven here so your Carfax will be as helpful as it can be.

If you don't have anyone you trust to help you get a good deal, I'd say either live here a while before buying the car, or just go straight to a dealer. When you buy an used car, you need to take it to the police to have it checked and this is never a pleasant experience, then get the sale document notarized, then you have to go pay the taxes and then get the new "matricula". And you have to do this within hours of your purchase, otherwise you risk paying for any of the previous owner's wrongdoing. All this process can get really expensive and time consuming. Do your math and then decide.
    I will be trusting someone to help me find something. I told him not to rush. We have time to shop around until the right something pops. You said "All this process can get really expensive and time consuming. Do your math and then decide." Do you have a sense/ estimate of the extra cost? Isn't this the same as the dealer would charge above the vehicle cost?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Koreano View Post
    Carfax will work as long as the Vehicle is from US. Buy the bulk(5) report as you will want to check few and decide if its worth or not. Thing about the car here is the mileage will be about double the average, 5 years old car will have 100k-120k miles. Just look for common trouble "multiple visit to dealers, auctioned off date(few month after big storm is no no), and of course accidents. if the car has none of that and drive and sounds well buy em... You will not likely find 5 years old garage kept 30k miles cars here.
    Thanks Koreano. Your info, as well as CC's and Castle's, will help me make an informed decision. Thank you all and if anything else comes to mind, please shout me back.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I will be trusting someone to help me find something. I told him not to rush. We have time to shop around until the right something pops. You said "All this process can get really expensive and time consuming. Do your math and then decide." Do you have a sense/ estimate of the extra cost? Isn't this the same as the dealer would charge above the vehicle cost?
    If the price is same why not just buy it from reputable dealer with carfax or history? Plus dealer give you 3 month so called "Warrenty" as if things breaks you buy the parts and they fix for FREE, but I doubt buying it personally will even give you free 3 months of quick duct tape fixes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast