Buying in Sosua

nicolecan

Mar 14, 2013
We are looking to buy an already existing home/villa in the Sosua area. We are very nervous about choosing a real estate agent. Does anyone have any personal experience with Golden Treasures Real Estate that they could share with me in PM? Anything good or bad is greatly appreciated.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Nicole, you are STILL going to BUY, rather than RENT first????
Ask how many people here on DR1, who have lived here for decades, think that buying is a good decision???
"You BUY IT, You Own It!"
For better, or for worse.
What's wrong with renting in an area where you might someday consider buying????
Rent First,if you see that you don't want to live in the area, move out.
If you rent, like the area, you will have time to find a "Motivated Seller", and get a good price.
MANY people buy, then have to leave, illness, death, the DR is TOO MUCH" for them, many reasons for owners to sell out.
Cris Colon

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
We are looking to buy an already existing home/villa in the Sosua area. We are very nervous about choosing a real estate agent. Does anyone have any personal experience with Golden Treasures Real Estate that they could share with me in PM? Anything good or bad is greatly appreciated.
Hola!!
We are moving to Sosua after this summer and cant wait!! I have only been once and loved it. I never thought this was possible but here we come from Ontario, Canada!!!

Why on earth are you so nervous about the agent you use yet not about buying into/moving to a place you don't even know. I think your concerns and priorities are a little mixed up. The fact you are specifically infatuated with Sosua without even looking at the rest of the country shows a lack of maturity IMO. You are not going to spend the rest of your days IN Sosua, have you even been to a supermarket, butchers, shopping mall, tried to send mail, bought clothes, looked into living costs, social circles outside of the drunken vacation crowd. The entire social scene changes when you become a resident, it is not so welcoming, people are not as warm, you don't get to be the center of attention. Once in for real you are taken for granted like everyone else, life can become boring if you don't have a job to go out to, or a hobby that takes you away from it all.

I'm not going to tell you not to because I believe if you are for real then your family will take care of pointing out how ridiculous this is.

Good to see the complimentary DR arrivals lobotomy process is still in place.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Tough love Or common sense, I doubt either will work in this case.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9rmPtXplrZM[/video]

nicolecan

Mar 14, 2013
You have no idea who I am or what I am about, so keep your antagonistic comments to yourself. If I wanted that kind of information I would have asked for it, so go back to whatever boring life you clearly hold as it is more fun to try to ruin someone elses dreams, than to live. It is you whoever you are that needs to grow up, get a life and a hobby .

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Fair enough

just dont bite the hand that feed you good info
we saw, we fell in love , we bought and no regrets

but be aware of some issues that may be around the corner

just read up,

do more homework

my 2 pennies
Manu

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Never heard of Golden Treasures. Sounds like you don't want to hear any other advice, but you really should rent before you buy here. Selling is very difficult if you end up not liking where you are.

Also keep in mind that anyone can sell real estate here. There are no licensing requirements.

May 29, 2006
You have no idea who I am or what I am about, so keep your antagonistic comments to yourself. If I wanted that kind of information I would have asked for it, so go back to whatever boring life you clearly hold as it is more fun to try to ruin someone elses dreams, than to live. It is you whoever you are that needs to grow up, get a life and a hobby .

No one is here to ruin people's dreams. Renting for six months to a year before buying is one of the soundest pieces of advice you will find on the boards here and it can save some serious hardship if you find that the island doesn't work for you after six months or a year. You can also cherry pick your properties and wait for a good opportunity to come up rather than work with what is just on the market when prices are highest. I'd say 90% or more ex-pats will say the same thing.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
You have no idea who I am or what I am about, so keep your antagonistic comments to yourself.

I beg to differ, people arriving in this land without a clue of what the land is all about and think they know it all are ten a penny my dear, you are not a one off unfortunately. The country is littered with part time agents out to pounce on individuals such as yourself, and make a decent living out of your ignorance and lack of will to listen and learn.

Go for it, do it, I'm happy for you, but don't tell me not to post my views on a public topic, you made it public the moment you posted the idea on the net, I didn't come to your home or call your phone number to tell you what I thought, did I?

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Why on earth are you so nervous about the agent you use yet not about buying into/moving to a place you don't even know. I think your concerns and priorities are a little mixed up. The fact you are specifically infatuated with Sosua without even looking at the rest of the country shows a lack of maturity IMO. You are not going to spend the rest of your days IN Sosua, have you even been to a supermarket, butchers, shopping mall, tried to send mail, bought clothes, looked into living costs, social circles outside of the drunken vacation crowd. The entire social scene changes when you become a resident, it is not so welcoming, people are not as warm, you don't get to be the center of attention. Once in for real you are taken for granted like everyone else, life can become boring if you don't have a job to go out to, or a hobby that takes you away from it all.

I'm not going to tell you not to because I believe if you are for real then your family will take care of pointing out how ridiculous this is.

Good to see the complimentary DR arrivals lobotomy process is still in place.

OMG what is wrong with you? We moved here 3 years ago, bought a business and a condo. People are just as friendly if not more, buying clothes is easier than back home, the butcher shop is the same, supermarket the same, cost of living much cheaper, why do I need to send mail???? We knew we were coming here to make a living and change our lives.

nicolecan

Mar 14, 2013
I was not upset about the advise that was given by Givadogahome but rather the ignorant comment that followed both of my posts. I was asking for advise, not a character adjustement.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
The only advice I agree on is the renting part...for many reasons. We bought our condo cheap and flipped it....now we rent a house. I would never buy the house we rent cause it has many serious problems. Other issues would be barking dogs, noisy neighbours, rats, cockroaches and so on. If you buy and you have these problems, it might drive you nuts. Also, renting is cheaper in the long run unless you plan on flipping it. I wouldn't buy again if that helps you out.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
OMG what is wrong with you? We moved here 3 years ago, bought a business and a condo. People are just as friendly if not more, buying clothes is easier than back home, the butcher shop is the same, supermarket the same, cost of living much cheaper, why do I need to send mail???? We knew we were coming here to make a living and change our lives.

Good question, what is wrong with me exactly?
I am happy for you, had you spent longer than a brief vacation here in one town before making the decision? If not then well done, and I hope your luck and fortune continues. As far as buying clothes and visiting the butcher are concerned and or the costs, I made no mention of there being any kind of issue with these things, the point is that someone is deciding to buy a home when they have not performed any kind of daily normal function, maybe these things are not important to you, but to most, not even living in a place you intend to invest so much money might be considered a little rash, to say the least.
My point was to maybe trigger a reaction in her mind that might think 'oh, right, I know nothing of this place, maybe I should tread a little slower'.

But if you think this is a rational decision then great, we differ on opinion, this does not mean there is anything wrong with either of us, or does it?

nicolecan

Mar 14, 2013
I just want to thank everyone for all the useful information. As for Givadogahome, although your info may have been useful, insulting my intelligence was the wrong way to go about it. I have maybe only been there once, but I have been researching the entire island including Haiti for over a year. We are not even buying for at least 6 months, so I am jumping on nothing. Just because I personally have only been once does not mean that my co-buyers havent been there alot. So like I said, you do not know me.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Just because I personally have only been once does not mean that my co-buyers havent been there alot. So like I said, you do not know me.

I only know what you tell me, it does seem that there is new information about your situation that might have been presented originally. Co-buyers with lots of experience? I'm sure they will be able to ease your anxiety about the agent scene.:)