Customs employees are so nice..... and so USELESS!!!

Gitana-

Jan 13, 2010
I was trying to get some information today about things I can take with me when I move in May. I found out I can import a car without paying taxes and it can be any age (nice!) as long as I take it back with me when I leave for good. I told the lady at least three times that I'm going from Florida and still she sent me the info to bring it in the Ferry from Puerto Rico, but that's ok... I guess the paperwork is similar and that's not something I'm planning to do right away.

I was also trying to see if there is an equivalent for students to the mudanza they let you take with you when you become a resident. Talked to four different people and EVERYBODY told me "yo entiendo que si". You THINK???? Who do I ask then? Who can tell me for sure "yes" or "no"??? Grrrrr!!!

Does anybody here by any chance knows anything about that? I would love to be able to take my mattress with me after seeing the prices there (talk about sticker shock), and my 42" plasma TV would be a very welcome bonus, and my friend does not have a washer and dryer, and... :)

They were all so nice though, so amables :cool:

Gitana-

Jan 13, 2010
But if you have a dryer here can you afford to run it?

Good point, Derfish. They are terribly expensive to run there right? My friend is the one paying for the electricity and it was his idea, but maybe he hasn't thought about that. I'll run it by him.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
FORGET about the car!!!!
And probably any furniture!
What you have experienced with DR Customs over the phone, is about a 10% frustration level of what you will feel, in PERSON"!
Imagine you "somehow", got your 10 year old car,(Doubtful!) and your furniture here to the DR.
It has cost you several thousand US dollars, but at least you won't have to buy those things here in the DR!
"Wanna BET?"
Your problems have just begun.
Could easily cost you thousands more dollars,TRYING to get you stuff out of customs, if EVER!
"TIME" hope you have a large amount of time!
AND, even MORE "Patience"!!!!
BUY IT HERE!!!!!
In the END, you will be a MUCH "Happier Camper"!!!
PS, I just can't help myself , If you are coming here to live with a Dominican Boy"FRIEND"!
Save yourself even MORE money, time, and heartbreak, an "DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know you won't pay any attention to that, but at least someday soon, I can say, "I TOLD You So!!!!"
Cris Colon

Gitana-

Jan 13, 2010
PS, I just can't help myself , If you are coming here to live with a Dominican Boy"FRIEND"!
Save yourself even MORE money, time, and heartbreak, an "DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know you won't pay any attention to that, but at least someday soon, I can say, "I TOLD You So!!!!"
Cris Colon

Don't be so judgemental Criss, you don't know him, he is NOT like that. He's a young and fit and handsome Dominican man, but he really fell in love with me when I was there on vacation for the one and only time I've been in the DR. It was love at first sight. He saw something special in me even though I look like a big, white whale. He is my soulmate.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"From Your Lips, To God's Ears!
Now, the "Are Old", DR1 question,.....WHERE, did you first,meat him?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Gitana-

Jan 13, 2010
I'm not concerned about the car because I met several students there who have done it and it was not a hassle. My friend imported his Cadillac from Florida, paid US$650 for transportation and RD$100 to Customs. It seems to be clear cut for that, you just get some form from the University.

I'm still trying to get a clear answer about the furniture.

Gitana-

Jan 13, 2010
"From Your Lips, To God's Ears!
Now, the "Are Old", DR1 question,.....WHERE, did you first,meat him?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

In the resort of course, they convinced me not to get out of the area, it was too dangerous for a woman by herself.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
As "YOGI" said, "It's Like Dejavu, All Over AGAIN"!!!!
Don't dispair, all is not lost!
Before I got married,everyone I knew said my marriage to an 18 year old, "Dominicana Barrio Rat", 32 years my junior,would not last a year!
That was 3 kids, and 18 years ago!
( If you could just get the "Kids", but NOT the Dominican!!!)
WHY didn't I listen to THEM??????????????????????????????????????
You might just "Make It!"
Because, you have not "Taken The Bait",of our negative comments, and gotten all "Postal" on us!
That "White Skin" of yours must be pretty TOUGH!!!!!!!!
Good For You!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

Gitana-

Jan 13, 2010
OMG Criss, you're so easy to bait! You're too distracted today to "hear" my sarcasm. Get yourself together, man :)

My friend is not Dominican, he's Boricua like me, and I have known him for a very long time. I met him back in Puerto Rico and then we connected again in Florida. And we're not "meating", not that it's anybody's business of course, just clarifying we're just friends. I'm moving in with him because I'm starting at the Universidad Central del Este in May with his help.

I know everything about sankys. Let them think they're playing me :cheeky:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I LOVE sarcasm, in fact I like MANY "CASEMS"!
I STILL like you!
I have a "Boriqua" connection, "Cris Colon", es mi nombre "Por Dios"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Wanna "DO" me when you get here?????:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gitana-

Jan 13, 2010
With so many young sankys around? In your dreams!

But I would like to meet you regardless, just not "meat" you.

Gotta leave for work now. Let me know if your find out anything about mudanzas for students please.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I would enjoy meeting you, and yo can even bring your "Amigo" to protect you!
I wouldn't hold out much hope for that "Student Mudanza".
I have never heard anything about THAT!
Ask "Hill Billy" he has been teaching university in Santiago since "Colon" dropped him off the ship!
He has some foreign students in his classes.
CCCCCCCCCC