Traffic Deaths in the Dominican Republic Ranks #2 Worldwide

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
The Dominican Republic is the country with the second highest rate of traffic accident fatalities per capita, worldwide, according to the recently released "Global Status Report on Road Safety 2013" from the World Health Organization (WHO). The DR came in second behind the country of Niue (population about 750 so even one death ranks them first) located in the Pacific someplace.

DR Stats: http://tinyurl.com/ctc3258
Entire Report: http://www.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/78256/1/9789241564564_eng.pdf (this is a large PDF)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"dv", That's EASY!!!
Women don't HAVE accidents, they CAUSE accidents!!!
Do you know how many times I have crashed looking at "Skirt"??????
First time I was only 5, road my "Tri-Cycle" off our front porch,1951,Tuesday, Aug. 7th.,10:15 am., 703 N. Park St., Streator Ill.
Sunny.
Looking at Christine Anderson!
It was worth the "Price"!
Tall,Blond, blue eyes,No FIGURE, "Go Figure!"
I "dumped" her for Louise Stevenson when I went to "KinderGarden" the next year.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know what you mean. once when i was cycling in london i saw this hottie in a short skirt... i stared at her and drove directly into the lamp post. darn, i couldn't do it if i tried because i have poor aim...
most of my bike accidents in london were caused by them nice ladies.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
This figure will never go down since DR land has way too many juicy, bouncy, jiggly things for man to survive.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
with the traffic in DR i never really take my eyes off the road and mirrors. i'd miss an elephant on the sidewalk, let alone an ass :)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I wonder if there's another country in the world that has the mix of Pasolas, motorcycles, and cars that The DR has. I know there are countries like Vietnam where pasolas are common as well, but the difference may be that people probably don't ride without helmets and/or you may not have the mix of large vehicles running alongside the mopeds.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I've lived lots of places in "The Orient" where "Motor bikes/cycles" out number here.
Much fewer accidents!
I think that the "IQ" of the drivers plays the most important part in the statistics!
And lets not forget, "Los Presidentes"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OR, many times when you hit a "Pasola" here you get 3, or MORE, for ONE!
Easy to "Run Up" your Score that way!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
ps., "Christine Anderson" grew up to be a "Trailer Trash Whore"!!!!!!!!
If only I had known!
I could have married HER,stayed in Streator, Ill., and save a lot of airplane fares.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I think it is obvious that it is the drinking culture that marks up the death count here rather than anything else, everyone is drunk most of the time, and those who are not drunk driving are trying to cross the road drunk, with between 2 1/4 and 5 1/3 lanes of opposing traffic.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I think it is obvious that it is the drinking culture that marks up the death count here rather than anything else, everyone is drunk most of the time, and those who are not drunk driving are trying to cross the road drunk, with between 2 1/4 and 5 1/3 lanes of opposing traffic.

CC is correct! If you read the report...okay, I was on the potty and had nothing else to read...the DR scores very poorly in "enforcement" of drinking and driving. If I recall, they score about the same as "cell phone usage" which is also very spotty. I was actually stopped in the capitol for driving while chatting so I handed the AMET a beer, had a nice chat and drove on. This was the second incident because the first one I paid RD$2000 on the spot so he'd forget the whole thing. I decided a beer was cheaper (and apparently I was correct)!

May 29, 2006
Many causes in the DR. Different sized vehicles going different speeds, road hazards, no shoulders, aggressive driving, no headlights, livestock, no seat beats/helmets and drinking are just a few.

The roads in the DR are not really made to have accidents be survivable. In the US, there are all kinds of barriers that cars can run into and reduce fatalities. I once assisted a woman in NY cut off by a passing car and she hit a set of break-away cables barriers. The air bag deployed and the passenger side was torn up, but she was able to get out of her car and looked fine aside from some shock. Without the barrier, she would have gone off into a 6 ft ditch and it would have been much worse. She took out five or six supports for the cables, which was part of their design. The cables are made to hold and are connected to springs to reduce the impact forces.

NY2DR

Nov 21, 2009
with the traffic in DR i never really take my eyes off the road and mirrors. i'd miss an elephant on the sidewalk, let alone an ass :)

At least you have mirrors & actually keep your eyes on the road. I can't count how many times I've seen drivers/riders merge into oncoming traffic without even looking its absolutely mind-blowing & I'll never get used to it. I just drive slow to help prevent a avoidable accident.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The roads in the DR are not really made to have accidents be survivable. In the US, there are all kinds of barriers that cars can run into and reduce fatalities.

Yeh the barriers here are made of concrete, designed to build bridges yet used to kill drivers, and often put in place by a drunken crane operator. There are several sections of Las Americas once you exit the toll, are random as hell, some sticking out a few feet just where there is a pot hole to avoid, I presume to catch people out as they swerve. There are no security measures on the off side into the ocean, just a few random palm trees. As this is a flat out section of highway (still don't know any speed limits here, I adapted to Dominican so well it is flat out, squinty eyed cautious in the evening and close the mirrors in in the morning, that is as far as my Highway Code takes me) one might think they might consider this important, maybe to stop buses flying off the end into the water killing several, as happened a couple of years ago. But many, guaguas and bikes are said to line the ocean floor along that stretch, no doubt the ashtrays have been emptied by the darn Tigre fish:classic:

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
. I just drive slow to help prevent a avoidable accident.

Driving slow causes more accidents, what ever you are doing and where it is always better to try to keep with or run faster than the majority flow of traffic. The amount of times ill overtake only to almost run into the arse of someone dawdling along in Driving miss daisy mode is staggering, but usually because their vehicle can't reach flow speed, not because do not wish to.

The slow drivers that are 10 or so below the speedlimit are probably the reason for almost all driveby accidents, they are the most evil and egoistic drivers on the road- and i have seriously considered to shoot such retarded drivers several times.

""Ooooh my GOD, look how he is driving past me like a craaaaazy person""

""I have neeeever been in a accident- but i have SEEN several when they drive past me""

May 29, 2006
The worst for me is being behind a loaded sugar truck going 49MPH in a guagua with 25 people in it going 50MPH. As soon as the van tries to pass, the sugar truck floors it. Then there is another sugar truck coming right at us.. It's about then I just close my eyes and think happy thoughts.