Nightlife for Female Travelers - Cabarete vs Sosua

KS721

Mar 15, 2013
Hi,
I tried to do a search for Nightlife in Cabarete and Sosua and found some information, but it seems to change each year. Some say nightlife is better in one, some say there is some very shady activity in Sosua? so I thought I?d reach out again since Trip Advisor has been so helpful in my travels. I am travelling with girls only and we are staying on the beach in Cabarete. We are all well travelled, can speak Spanish, and feel like we are not as na?ve as some tourists can be. We would really love to get out at night and find a more local spot with local music, etc. Are there any places in Cabarate or Sosua that we can go and also be safe? We are actually looking to have fun ? and I don?t mean, pay for any ?special services? from any locals kind of fun. Actually just get out, have a drink, dance, hear some music and so on. Let me know if you have any ideas.
Thanks!

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Cabarete....definitely not Sosua.
But if you wanna try something a little different, you could go to Sabaneta and join the locals. I can assure you that you wont have to buy many drinks :)

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
If you're staying on Cabarete beach, you're in the heart of the nightlife. LAX is very popular--and for good reason--they have a good happy hour and its very popular with surfers and Kite surfers. it has a lot of international people from around the world hanging out there. Onno's gets busy later at night. Oyo is a nice nightclub with a beautiful second floor terrace where you can drink underneath a canopy of stars and look out over the ocean at the same time.

If you're staying on Cabarete beach, there is no reason to go anywhere else...although you can take trips to Sosua very easily as it's only 8 miles down the road.

If you're going to do any tours, i highly recommend to all my customers at the restaurant/bar where i work to go to the 27 Waterfalls. Everyone comes back happy and pleased that they went.

Frank

KS721

Mar 15, 2013
Cabarete....definitely not Sosua.
But if you wanna try something a little different, you could go to Sabaneta and join the locals. I can assure you that you wont have to buy many drinks :)
Thanks for the reply! Where is Sabaneta? I'm not familiar with that. Any suggestions on specific bars/clubs in Cabarete to go?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I can't imagine what anyone would like in Sabaneta...unless hanging out at a gas station or a car wash is your idea of fun.

Frank

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I can't imagine what anyone would like in Sabaneta...unless hanging out at a gas station or a car wash is your idea of fun.

Frank

Frank, you gotta get out a bit more, there are a couple of other places in Veragua (across the river from Sabaneta) other than the bomba, gas station car wash bar.
There is the colmadon on the corner of the La Pina crossing, lots of loud music and dancing, there is also the 5-Star bar, by that crossing, and also the new disco called Disco First Class, just before supermarcado Rodriguez. There were a couple of more places, but have since closed down.
That is if the girls want to venture out of Cabarete.

I do agree with you on the Cabarete bars you had mentioned.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Hi,
I tried to do a search for Nightlife in Cabarete and Sosua and found some information, but it seems to change each year. Some say nightlife is better in one, some say there is some very shady activity in Sosua… so I thought I’d reach out again since Trip Advisor has been so helpful in my travels. I am travelling with girls only and we are staying on the beach in Cabarete. We are all well travelled, can speak Spanish, and feel like we are not as na?ve as some tourists can be. We would really love to get out at night and find a more local spot with local music, etc. Are there any places in Cabarate or Sosua that we can go and also be safe? We are actually looking to have fun – and I don’t mean, pay for any “special services” from any locals kind of fun. Actually just get out, have a drink, dance, hear some music and so on. Let me know if you have any ideas.
Thanks!
A group of women going to the DR and not looking to pay for any "special services"????? Dominican men do not charge for this LOL You pay them when you get back home and they email or send a text that their grandmother was ran over by a moto and need 500USD for the hospital fees. Other ways to pay for the services is to marry them and helped them get out of Sosua or Cabarete.

Your US passport or Canadian Passport is like an IOU in Dominicann Republic so do not worry about paying for hot, lust filled, steamy love making with one of the worlds number 1 location for the infamous " latin lovers" Because you are a woman in DR your sex comes with a lot of perks and one of them being is no fee for sex upfront unlike the males who have to pay in some places just to exit the club with women or have to pay before she takes off one piece of clothing.

BTW Anytime you travel to any type of "beach town" just ask a taxi driver where is the action and they are the best person to get advice from, no matter where you are. All beach towns are pretty much the same, if you can't find the local night spots in a "beach town" You are a person that does not get out a lot LOL

KS721

Mar 15, 2013
A group of women going to the DR and not looking to pay for any "special services"????? Dominican men do not charge for this LOL You pay them when you get back home and they email or send a text that their grandmother was ran over by a moto and need 500USD for the hospital fees. Other ways to pay for the services is to marry them and helped them get out of Sosua or Cabarete.

Your US passport or Canadian Passport is like an IOU in Dominicann Republic so do not worry about paying for hot, lust filled, steamy love making with one of the worlds number 1 location for the infamous " latin lovers" Because you are a woman in DR your sex comes with a lot of perks and one of them being is no fee for sex upfront unlike the males who have to pay in some places just to exit the club with women or have to pay before she takes off one piece of clothing.

BTW Anytime you travel to any type of "beach town" just ask a taxi driver where is the action and they are the best person to get advice from, no matter where you are. All beach towns are pretty much the same, if you can't find the local night spots in a "beach town" You are a person that does not get out a lot LOL

HAHA! Hey, paying is paying, whether upfront or after you leave the country. My point is, we actually are looking to have fun and don't need to leave the country just to find a hook up :p. But thanks for your feedback!

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Thanks for the reply! Where is Sabaneta? I'm not familiar with that. Any suggestions on specific bars/clubs in Cabarete to go?

Probably means la Bomba. Big local hangout on weekends, on the main drag, can't miss it. Or just ask, they'll point you towards it. Definately worth experiencing.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I need to start a bar hopping tour for tourists... too bad too many of them wouldn't make it out of the first stop with my drinking :D

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Sabaneta has plenty of options, ranging from the infamous 'La Tuca Tuca' (technically still Cabarete) to the reasonably respectable Colmadon on the main strip where there are often good live concerts..

Of course the big bomba is always open and always packed...

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
No, maybe you're right Frank...hanging out at Jose's with a bunch of gringos is far more appealing ;)

I never mentioned O'Shays. I specifically mentioned only the places that i thought might appeal to a group of females: "LAX, Onno's & Ojo's."

I can't imagine a group of foreign females--although it would depend on their age, taste, & education--enjoying the gas station in Sabaneta. But who knows, diversity is what makes the world go around.

Frank

KS721

Mar 15, 2013
Sabaneta has plenty of options, ranging from the infamous 'La Tuca Tuca' (technically still Cabarete) to the reasonably respectable Colmadon on the main strip where there are often good live concerts..

Of course the big bomba is always open and always packed...

Is Sabaneta near Cabarete? I'm having trouble figuring out where this is. Again- thanks for all the comments and advice- much appreciated!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I'd go with what Frank said. You'll have a blast at night on Cabarete Beach.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
I quess in Sabaneta the atmosphere will be for your the same as if I were the only gringo in D'Latin in Sosua. If you are cool and like it and have your friends with you, have fun :) But be sure to arrange a secure ride back to Cabarate.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Btw: the local quys in Sosua, who are not from the scene, told me also that if I want same dominican feeling go to Sabaneta.
You can also try to find out if there's a grupo in Rio Verde (between Sosua and Puerto Plata), they don't have it often but when then its nice and packed.