Shipping BACK to Canada from the DR

PCMissionary

Aug 5, 2011
What's the best way to ship our personal items back to Canada (Toronto) from the DR?

We have lots of books, kids' bike, and small kitchen appliances but nothing substantial.

We have barrels here, but I am hearing that the process of shipping BACK to Canada is not easy (due to drugs, etc). I talked with the shipper we used to get our stuff here (Peralta Bros, who were great), but they only ship one-way.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Check the internet, and the phone book."Mayflower" has a mover here in SD.
Flor De Mayo".
Unless it's just ripping off the name????
Do you live near an airport, or shipping port?
Go ask a customs agent who ships out going.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Take what you really want with you or forget it ! A bike ? I hope this is a really good one ! Commonsense is take what you really want onboard even pay overweight if necessary!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sell and/or give away appliances and bike. check with the airline how much extra luggage you are allowed and just take stuff that way. less nerves and costs, i think...

PCMissionary

Aug 5, 2011
sell and/or give away appliances and bike. check with the airline how much extra luggage you are allowed and just take stuff that way. less nerves and costs, i think...

I hear you... the main challenge is we have a TON of books. Otherwise, yes we'd just do overweight.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I hear you... the main challenge is we have a TON of books. Otherwise, yes we'd just do overweight.

The ton of books will cost you more in shipping than replacing them. Why not donate them especially if they are in English. There are many places that would love to have them.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i totally get it :) when i came here i had some of my most precious books with me, in a flat backpack UNDER the hoodie. so they would not be included in the weight-in :) most of them in polish, not that easy to replace in this half of the world...
i suggest you look carefully through, take those that are more expensive, more difficult to find or bear some sentimental value. the rest you can donate to me :laugh::laugh::laugh:

inquire within your airline: every airline has the extra luggage limit (at extra cost, of course). but if there is more of you (say, a family of four) you may be allowed maybe extra 100 kg? check the price of first class tickets: they have better luggage allowance (including extras) and it may be still cheaper than shipping...

check - and i am not joking - dominican post. they do have packages service. miesposo sent something to the states few months ago. kinda expensive but cheaper than any other courier anyway. and it has arrived! and the price was so high because he requested special package (faster or whatever).

but do your internet search first and see how much would it be - more or less - to replace the books... i tell you that at the end of the day you will not really need them. you will bring them back to canada and they will stay unopened for ages...

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I like Annac's idea. The cost of shipping back books is probably going to be cost prohibitive. But here's another idea...let's say, hypothetically, you have 1000 books. You could log onto Amazon.com with a Kindle from any wireless connection anywhere in the world and download all 1000 books within one day and carry up to 2,000 books on your kindle in your hand everywhere you go.

I know, i know...it's not the same as having a good paperback book in your hand. Still, there's something to be said that you can carry your entire library collection of books in one hand onto the plane.

Frank

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The question of shipping FROM the DR to anywhere comes up from time to time. People want to return home or start a business here which requires shipping to other countries. Nobody has posted a reliable, efficient and economical way to do this. Yes they have to overcome the "drugs might be in it" issue. Yes they have to find a physical way to get goods out of the DR to other places for a reasonable price. Other countries can do this. Why not the DR?

The advice to sell or donate is a good one and should also be an alert to anyone else about moving here with all your stuff. Because once your stuff is here, it is "here".

Other people ask for a business that could work in the DR. Get my point? Nod, nod. Wink, Wink.

PCMissionary

Aug 5, 2011
Thanks everyone. In regards to Anna, the challenge is that these are personal books that are very precious to us as a family. We can't really go the Kindle route as these are books for our children as well.

I did find a company, through Air Transat, that actually does ship from Puerto Plata or Punta Cana to Canada:
home page - General Sales Agent (GSA) for the Dominican Republic

I don't yet know the costs, so we'll see. But thanks for all the help!

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
What's the best way to ship our personal items back to Canada (Toronto) from the DR?

We have lots of books, kids' bike, and small kitchen appliances but nothing substantial.

We have barrels here, but I am hearing that the process of shipping BACK to Canada is not easy (due to drugs, etc). I talked with the shipper we used to get our stuff here (Peralta Bros, who were great), but they only ship one-way.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

ABF Freight System, Inc.?-?Canada

Ship to Dominican Republic, Moving to Dominican Repubulic

Air Shipping to Dominican Republic | A1 Freight Forwarding