Asparagus Is IN!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
At least at Super Mercado National in Arroyo Hondo SD.
Looks pretty good, Nice small sticks, tight heads, a nice big bunch at 180 pesos.
I'm not a "player" at that price, buy I know there are some "Ass." lovers out there.
I have other ways to make my "PI$$" stink!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
All fruits & "Veggies" at 50% off at Super Mercado National, Santiago only!
Got my "Platanos" at SM Arroyo Hondo for 7.5 pesos today.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, maybe this supposedly fancy restaurant cappuccino should get some. 500 pesos for a chicken and asparagus salad and the asparagus means three soft, soggy sticks from a can. what a joke...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Next time take me with you!
I have eaten there at least 50 times.
I'll order for you!
If you would have had some of their "Home Made Italiano Ice Cream" for dessert you would have forgotten the asparagus.
AND a few bottles of "ProSeco" to wash it down :knockedou:knockedou:knockedou:bunny::bunny::bunny:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Still some left at "SMN" in Arroyo Hondo!
I
s 225 pesos a bunch.
It's "On Ice" and seems "fresh".
I snapped off two stalks near the bottom and they broke off clean, no strings.
They also have "Platanos" at 6.5 pesos each, to celebrate the DR's "WBC" victory.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Next time take me with you!
I have eaten there at least 50 times.
I'll order for you!
If you would have had some of their "Home Made Italiano Ice Cream" for dessert you would have forgotten the asparagus.
AND a few bottles of "ProSeco" to wash it down :knockedou:knockedou:knockedou:bunny::bunny::bunny:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!

on your tap, honey? ;)
pizza was good, thou. and the service was more than excellent. so i can give them another go :)

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Here's a recipe for asparagus lovers.If you don't like asparagus,substitute green beans.Delicioso! Beer Battered Asparagus Sauce:

• 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 3 tablespoons capers, drained
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco, optional
  • 1 cup self-rising flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup beer, at room temperature
  • Vegetable oil, for frying
<!--concordance-end--> Directions

1 pound slender asparagus, trimmed to 5-inch lengths.
For the sauce: Whisk the mayonnaise, capers, chives, tarragon, lemon juice, mustard, zest and garlic in a small bowl. Add 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, or more, if desired. The sauce can be prepared 1 day ahead, covered and chilled.
For the asparagus: Whisk the flour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk the beer into the flour mixture until smooth.
Pour enough vegetable oil into a heavy large wide saucepan to reach a depth of 3 inches. Attach a deep-fry thermometer to the side of the saucepan. Heat the oil over medium-high heat until the temperature registers between 350 degrees F and 360 degrees F.
Coat the asparagus, in batches, in beer batter, allowing any excess batter to drip back into the bowl. Drop the asparagus, in batches, into the hot oil and fry until the batter is deep golden brown and asparagus are crisp-tender, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes per batch. Adjust the heat as needed to maintain the oil temperature. Transfer the asparagus using a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
Immediately mound the asparagus on a serving platter. Place the bowl of dipping sauce alongside and serve while the asparagus are still hot.

<!--concordance-begin--> <!--concordance-end--> <!-- /body-text -->

Last edited:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
THE way to eat asparagus.

Cook you asparagus in whole, make sure tops are not covered with water (they are soft and steam is all you need for them)
Sauce is a beure blanc with lemon juice and seasoned with salt and pepper.
2 hard boiled eggs crumbled.

Serve asparagus on a fitting plate, drizzle sauce over them and drizzle the crumbled hard boiled egg over them.
You can add a bit of chopped parsley over it it you want.

That is how you tradionally eat asparagus. Very simple dressing because you want the delicious and delicate taste of the asparagus.
A bit more refined, you can replace the beure blanc with a mousseline sauce, no crumbled hard boiled eggs but add some smoked salmon to the dish.

Now...how do I get my hands on some bundles of this delicatesse...

Acira

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Bronze", I'd eat a "Dog Turd" cooked like that!
With a few "Tajitas" of avocado on the side!
That receipt let a person "Pig Out On Fat, and salt, and the next day you can just say, "All I had to eat last night was a little asparagus"!
Nothing better than "Vegetarian Loli-Pops"!
A little "EVOO", lime lemon, crushed garlic, marinaded for an hour, then on then "Bar Bee" for a couple of minutes, fresh ground black pepper, a touch of Kosher salt, and "Bam"!
Or, a nice "Hollandase" sauce,cream of "A$$" soup,wrapped in some Filo Dough".
Problem is, you really need "Fresh Picked" to take it to another level!
"dv", you provide the transportation, I'll pay!
Their "Torteloni a la Donnateli" is to die for!!!

"Ouch!", did I just say that????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Oops! I forgot to mention that the recipe called for tarragon but I could not find it so instead I used parsley.Hence in the directions you will see the word tarragon.By all means if you can find it and you like it, use it.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Oops! I forgot to mention that the recipe called for tarragon but I could not find it so instead I used parsley.Hence in the directions you will see the word tarragon.By all means if you can find it and you like it, use it.

I love sauce Bearnaise but I think its much to overpowering for asparagus. I like a good steak with that sauce.
Said that, you can get tarragon here, fresh but it takes a bit of digging.
What I was wondering, are we talking here about green asparagus or the white ones?
If its the green ones, I won't bother to drive to get me some bundles. For me the green ones are good in a salad but thats it. I want the white ones which are totally different in taste of the green ones, much more delicate and I already made my order with friends who come from Belgium on holiday ;)

Acira

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
I love sauce Bearnaise but I think its much to overpowering for asparagus. I like a good steak with that sauce.
Said that, you can get tarragon here, fresh but it takes a bit of digging.
What I was wondering, are we talking here about green asparagus or the white ones?
If its the green ones, I won't bother to drive to get me some bundles. For me the green ones are good in a salad but thats it. I want the white ones which are totally different in taste of the green ones, much more delicate and I already made my order with friends who come from Belgium on holiday ;)

Acira

Definitely the green ones.But I'm sure you can use the white ones too.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
your recipes leave me salivating, thanks, witches! :)

today in our humble house potato and carrot mash, roasted veggies and meatballs. we not so fancy here :)

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Sounds good! I must try potato and carrot mash.Potato and turnip mash with sour cream is good too!

Last edited: