NEW LOW for the D.R.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I've stopped posting or even opening my mail with anything concerning DR1.

But I do a quick scan and mostly ignore everything.

This evening I saw a PM from someone that I respect concerning an abandoned/dumped foal and was asking or help. Being that I respect the person and have some knowledge/contacts about horses I responded ASAP with all I had at that time.

The thrown away foal was not on his property but on a friend of his. His friend found it in a ditch. NO mare or other horse around and they have searched and asked. The finders have done and are doing a good job to keep this newborn on its hooves and alive. They will be up ALL NIGHT warming milk and drizzling it into it. NOT an easy task and given that everything is closed that just can't run out and buy equipment to help.

I thank the person for contacting me and that he knows that I'll help when the chips are down. I'm proud to be of help to the couple that will be up all night working on saving........ A thrown away foal. I do what I can in the morning.

WHAT A NEW LOW!

and then again; some people are really great. I've left names out since I don't have OK to post them. But they are people that can speak for themselves as they wish. As for me, I'm just someone that could try to help and do what I can but this 'Throw away a foal into a ditch".....

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Ringo, we hear your frustration and know that we respect your deep deep love for all animals. We feel the same and its a sad sad situation, indeed a low :(
Our friends are doing all they can for tonight, lets keep our fingers crossed that the foal has a strong will to live and lets see what tomorrow gives.

Acira

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Sometimes I hate this ****ing country, and the way they treat living beings...

Here are some pics of the foal in question...

foal2_zps9009ef26.jpg

foal1_zpsa0899b09.jpg

Our friends are taking shifts in staying up all night to feed the foal, and let us hope she makes it through the night.

They thought they found the mother, but it was a poor mare, hit by a car or truck, with her back-end mangled, and in pain. Why not put the poor animal out of her misery.

BelgianK

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I always applaud all involved in cases like this, although I would'nt call it a new low, just same old same old unfortunately. So looks like the mother was hit and the little one frightened off and unable to return/find its mother?
i know nothing about horses, but it looks a bit skinny right, but nothing broken? I can't even begin to imagine the financial costs involved in rescuing horses, a few dogs can cost a lot, so horses,,,,,,, phwoa, a few pesos I expect.

I'm still wondering why anyone would dump a horse? Kittens and dogs is a given norm, but I'd have thought a horse might be worth something, so why dump it?

Well done to the Samaritans involved, hope it pulls through and manages to get a nice caring home in the future.

I know it doesn't seem right to say, but if this horse has been abandoned and its mother put down then this could ironically been the luckiest day of its life, past, present and future. Some horses that are put to work........... Well I needn't say more and caring expats will be sure to see it has a comfortable future, I'm sure. Well done!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I sent BelgianK a list of names and phone numbers last night and talked with the caregiver. The best thing would to find a mare with milk that would except the foal. Of course, you have to have the owner of the mare except the foal first. I think that the caregiver already had a possible lead and working on it. Perhaps one of the names I gave may produce others.

I explained to the caregiver what to look for and to check the hurt horse for nipples, it did not have any so that would not be the mother. So not only do they have a baby to try to save, they have another mangled horse in the area.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
They've got quite a challenge on their hands. The poor thing can't be more than several days old (based on the perioplic membrane on its front hoof) and undernourished at that. Hopefully they'll be able to find a mare willing to accept the foal or at least gentle enough to permit herself being hobbled while the baby feeds. A few multi-vitamin injections wouldn't be bad for it either...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Many Dominicans look at animals and pets as either working class or of no value. I guess it depends if they have the resources to care for these. If their concern is eating eveyday they certainly won't worry too much about an animal. In the case of this horse is it possible that a this mare gave birth in the ditch? I am just asking. It is sad to think that this baby would be dumped there. Thanks for the effort to save a life. I would name the horse LUCKY!

LTSteve

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Many Dominicans look at animals and pets as either working class or of no value. I guess it depends if they have the resources to care for these. If their concern is eating eveyday they certainly won't worry too much about an animal. In the case of this horse is it possible that a this mare gave birth in the ditch? I am just asking. It is sad to think that this baby would be dumped there. Thanks for the effort to save a life. I would name the horse LUCKY!

LTSteve

if the people busting their butts to save this animal are taking up a collection to pay for supplies, count me in. a pm is all i need.

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
Hi guys, it's been a long night but the foal has made it through the night and seems to have adopted our Rottie as mum! quite a funny sight as we have 6 dogs and the rottie will not let the others near it now, showing them his impressive fangs should they venture too close!

We have no idea how it came to be in a ditch on our land but it has already had one lucky escape as I was dumping some large pieces of old concrete into the ditch and did not see it at first......I just missed hitting it with the concrete I threw in by about a foot!
There is a ranch near us so later this morning we are going to take it there as they have kindly said they have a mare who may 'adopt' it with a bit of luck.

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
Is it possible the mare was hit and birthed the foal in the ditch?

Yes it is possible William, we have not had much chance to have a good look at the mare, only from a distance but it was possible to see one of her back legs was a bit of a mess around the knee joint.
Unfortunately we know absolutely nothing about horses except they are very expensive when you 'bet' on them :-(

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Good job and thanks for your report. Let's hope that "Lucky" gets a new mom and you get some sleep. Please keep us posted.

You have my phone number and BelgianK has my email address if I can be of any additional help.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hi guys, it's been a long night but the foal has made it through the night and seems to have adopted our Rottie as mum! quite a funny sight as we have 6 dogs and the rottie will not let the others near it now, showing them his impressive fangs should they venture too close!

We have no idea how it came to be in a ditch on our land but it has already had one lucky escape as I was dumping some large pieces of old concrete into the ditch and did not see it at first......I just missed hitting it with the concrete I threw in by about a foot!
There is a ranch near us so later this morning we are going to take it there as they have kindly said they have a mare who may 'adopt' it with a bit of luck.

i wish you the very best, and i thank you for doing the human and civilized thing. today i feel as if there is hope for humanity, after all.

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
Good job and thanks for your report. Let's hope that "Lucky" gets a new mom and you get some sleep. Please keep us posted.

You have my phone number and BelgianK has my email address if I can be of any additional help.

Thanks Ringo, the sleep part will be very much appreciated......oh for the good old days when the mrs and I could stay up AND drink all night without collapsing the next day :)

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
if the people busting their butts to save this animal are taking up a collection to pay for supplies, count me in. a pm is all i need.

Thanks gorgon, but we are hoping it doesn't come to that, we will know more when we go to the ranch and speak with them.

We are not the best people to try to raise a horse as we know nothing about them raising/feeding or looking after them, we would just like to try and give it a chance, as no doubt it would probably be dead already if we had left it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Thanks gorgon, but we are hoping it doesn't come to that, we will know more when we go to the ranch and speak with them.

We are not the best people to try to raise a horse as we know nothing about them raising/feeding or looking after them, we would just like to try and give it a chance, as no doubt it would probably be dead already if we had left it.

the offer stands, if needed

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I'm sure one of your contacts is Isobel and her Horse Rescue Ranch. If not PM her at Isobel. She's one of us.

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
We have taken the foal to Rancho Montana in Sabaneta, run by a Canadian couple, where they do horse riding tours. They are very nice people there and are going to call it Phoenix if he makes it through, rather apt!

If anyone feels they would like to contribute to help with the costs I am sure rancho Montana would be happy to accept any help, or help by enjoying your donation via booking a horseback tour with them (website: ranchomontana.com)

We will be keeping in touch with them to see how he gets on and hopefully having a tour on his back one day!

Thanks to everyone for the help and kind words, much appreciated :)