I want to move to the D.R.!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stepha228

Mar 22, 2013
I just left from an amazing vacation in Puerta Plata, and I have decided that I am going to change my life around.
I have been doing a lot of reserch into citizenship/jobs/home. I have figured on taking about a year to save up money. Depending on what kind of job I find will help determine how much money I need to save up. From what I have found online, it looks like the cost of living varies quite a bit, the average I am finding is around $650US. Does that seem accurate and feasible?
One thing I have not found yet online are requirements for working in a salon. I have my salon managers license from Aveda Institute, over 10 years of experience. I have not decided really what I want to do as a job, but I am thinking about opening my own salon.
Thanks!

May 12, 2005
Welcome to DR1. Do a lot of research. Ask a lot of questions. Living and vacationing in DR are 2 very very different things.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Cost of living $650 per week? I guess that's possible, but of course it depends where and how you want to live.

A lot of competition in salons.

Dec 26, 2011
I guess approaching the AI industry would be a good place to start. Most have salons, I believe. I would think the tips would be good.

In time, a salon for expats could be established.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I will start with what I always say when someone has this approach to the DR. I would never recommend for anyone to come down here if they need to work. The relative pay you would get versus North America or Europe is not good. As for living on $650 US per month, I think that would be comfortable only if you own your own place outright to live and don't have a car. Notice that I did not say it was not possible, just that it would probably not be comfortable for anyone but the most frugal.

Stepha228

Mar 22, 2013
Are you experienced in working with Afro-Caribbean hair?
Yes I am experienced in all hair types. So that would not be an issue at all. The $650 was a monthly expense, weekly is way to high. I am pretty good with my money, and do not need a lot nor do I spend much. I am fine living a simple life, honestly would tolorate just about anything never to have to deal with another Minnesota winter ever again. My trip was not just sitting at a resort, so I know what it is like in the city away from the tourist stuff.

Dec 26, 2011
Yes I am experienced in all hair types. So that would not be an issue at all. The $650 was a monthly expense, weekly is way to high. I am pretty good with my money, and do not need a lot nor do I spend much. I am fine living a simple life, honestly would tolorate just about anything never to have to deal with another Minnesota winter ever again. My trip was not just sitting at a resort, so I know what it is like in the city away from the tourist stuff.

I trust that you're skilled. But Dominican hair is unique. Good luck, wherever you end up. You sound bright. Focus on mastery of the language and you'll get along fine.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I just left from an amazing vacation in Puerta Plata, and I have decided that I am going to change my life around.
I have been doing a lot of reserch into citizenship/jobs/home. I have figured on taking about a year to save up money. Depending on what kind of job I find will help determine how much money I need to save up. From what I have found online, it looks like the cost of living varies quite a bit, the average I am finding is around $650US. Does that seem accurate and feasible?
One thing I have not found yet online are requirements for working in a salon. I have my salon managers license from Aveda Institute, over 10 years of experience. I have not decided really what I want to do as a job, but I am thinking about opening my own salon.
Thanks!

If after working 10 years in the US you have not accumulated any savings and you now plan to save for one year in order to move to the DR and start a business and live there it seems like a long stretch.
Of course with enough determination a lot is possible and Dominicans are surviving on USD 650 a month.
Good luck and do your research including a business plan.

Stepha228

Mar 22, 2013
Welcome to DR1, through rose colored glasses, think about it long and hard before you make a decision.
What in your opinion would be the pros and cons. I've been researching a lot, and I've yet to find anything I cannot handle or plan for.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I understand completely if you are from Minnesota. That explains everything about the desire to be here.

beyondnyc

Feb 23, 2012
Dreading winters is one of the reasons I love staying here. You will need more money than you expect. I would say about $1500 to $2000 per month. Figure $500 for rent, if you have a care/ payment/ gasoline, food, entertainment, liquor. Since you are an expat you will run in to a few instant friends that will want you to pay for ****. Trust me. this happens.
I dated a girl who owned a salon for a few months. Usually her customers will come in for a wash and blow out. Straighten out their hair. That is the most common thing the women get. That usually cost about 200pesos. About $5 bucks. She normally got about 5-7 customers a day. So it is not a great form of income. Create a budget for yourself. Check out where you would like to stay. Things will cost more than you expect. Budget for that. And have a great time

Liong

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Welcome to DR1!

May I suggest you consider becoming a "snowbird," with is a part-time expat who spends the winters in DR, and the rest of the year back home. You'll have a considerably larger budget for the time you're in-country, and be able to sustain your business back home.

When moving to any new country, it's a good idea to stick your toe in first, before taking the big plunge. There are many semi/fully furnished rentals available, and you could spend the next few winters sampling different towns and lifestyles before making a more permanent decision.

There are LOTS of options. If you liked the beaches in POP, you'll LOVE the ones in Las Terrenas and Punta Cana. POP is a nice city, but Santiago is far superior in terms of culture and lifestyle options.

Take your time. Have fun, and be safe. :glasses:

devdev

May 14, 2011
to me, 650 a month is enough .... i live in a nice, 2 yr old (pretty much new) 3 bedroom 2 bath apt....its huge if u ask me and its very nice...costs me 300 month including maintenance ....i live in santo domingo so i guess it has to do with where u wanna live

Status
Not open for further replies.