Un Habitacion a 1,600-2000 pesos

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Been gone for awhile but I'll be there on Tuesday. Have two bags and a saxophone. Anyone know of some decent places in Santiago?

I used to live in Los Salados and want something different this time.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Amp, stay where you are - seriously, there is no 'decent places in Santiago' available for the budget you have. Many others come here with the same dream as you and it ALWAYS turns into a nightmare.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Are you talking per day or per week or per month.
Per day there are plenty of places--Hotel Colonial for example
Per week you are back in Los Salados
Per month??? Not a clue...

Of course if you are talking dollars, the per month there are lots of nice places...

HB

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Are you talking per day or per week or per month.
Per day there are plenty of places--Hotel Colonial for example
Per week you are back in Los Salados
Per month??? Not a clue...

Of course if you are talking dollars, the per month there are lots of nice places...

HB

I've lived there before for those prices just want a different neighborhood. I'm talking per month 1,600-2,000 pesos ($40-$60).

I have no problem living quite modestly. I don't need all the amenities I can live just fine with a bed and a shower.

I'm 24 and all I need is a place for me, my two bags and saxophone. I have a few friends I can stay with until I find a place, I'm just trying to make some headway before I get down there on Tuesday.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Do us a favor and tell us about this. I would suppose that any of the barrios might work, Ensanche Espaillat, Peking, Los Guandules, Los Jasmines....maybe even Pueblo Nuevo or El Ejido...

Good luck..

HB

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
$2,000 RD or $50 US per month? I cannot imagine what that would be like if it even exists at all.

Dec 26, 2011
He's renting a room. No kitchen. No bathroom. Doesn't sound like much fun when he could rent a 1BR with both for $6000RD, but to each his own.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Well, living in Los Salados was pretty wild. It was alright though since they had a baseball field and basketball court very close so always something I could be active in.

I witnessed a drive-by one night, that was probably the worst. Also when someone's father got beat up over a debt he was walking around with a machete looking for trouble but other than that it was pretty calm.

I lived in un edificio/pension with about 50 units. I lived on the main floor which I didn't like too much but it was fine. The water came on at 6am and 6pm and was off the rest of the day. I would eat out everyday since I had no stove to cook on but I could've easily purchased one.

The worst part of living there for about 4 months was when I bought a fridge. I went to a bunch of shops trying to find something used in my price range. I FINALLY found one but after one day it went out. I took it back to the store (I don't drive so that was an adventure getting it back and forth since the store was in Pueblo Nuevo). They refused to warranty it. I went back to my neighborhood and got some of my friends to help me out a bit. After about a week of going back and forth they gave me another one. It was the worst customer service hassle I have ever gone through. The name of the shop is Estufama #4, if I remember correctly. It has pink paint on the wall I can't remember the street but it is in Pueblo Nuevo near the bridge. Wasted so much money going back and forth daily and arguing with the owners. I would've saved more if I'd have just gotten it new, but lesson learned the hard way.

Any specific questions I can answer?

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
He's renting a room. No kitchen. No bathroom. Doesn't sound like much fun when he could rent a 1BR with both for $6000RD, but to each his own.

if i can find a job to afford that i'd take it. i just don't want to sign a lease when i know i can fulfill the obligation.

Dec 26, 2011
if i can find a job to afford that i'd take it. i just don't want to sign a lease when i know i can fulfill the obligation.

That's cool. I know what it's like to be broke. Good luck.

PS- Just weigh the cooking at home vs. eating out thing. I think in a month, the extra for the stove and gas would have paid for itself and you'd be ahead of the game. Not to mention healthier.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Yeah I think this time when I go I'm buying a stove so I can cook for myself. My list of purchases when I go there are a bed, fridge, stove, tank, line for tank to stove, fan, lock, lightbulb, bucket for shower, and well see what else I can think of when I get there.

I can live quite modestly, I enjoy walking around Santiago and taking in the culture and sights.

What I don't want is to move in somewhere to nice and the people think I'm rich where I'll become a target. I'm by no means rich but I probably have more saved than most Dominicans in the neighborhoods I'm looking to move into.

I definitely don't want to work in a call center again, I need a job though so it may be the only option I have.

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
you should be able to rent something decent (with electricity and without insects) for 4,000 pesos/ month and more. for 2,000 pesos my guess is that won't be anything good...in good area...

on the other hand I heard that there are whole flats to rent in La Loteria for 7,000 pesos/ month....
so, like I said 4,000 pesos/ month is limit for something decent in my opinion.

in Las terrenas there are decent rooms to rent for 4,000 pesos, in other places in country, too... decent, but modest :) Monte Cristi, Barahona, near the sea, whatever you want..... my guess is would be the same with Santiago. I paid 6,000 pesos/ month for room there but I overpaid that time ;-)

btw. Santiago is not place for walking, well at least it wasnt for me....

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
there are some nice pensiones in ensanche espaillat for your price range. my BIL lives in a nice "1 bedroom" with his wife (a dining/kitchen area and a nice size bedroom) there for 2800 a month. not nearly as nuts as los salados. i'd stay away from any groupings of apartments in the barrios (like in los reyes and monterico)

Dec 26, 2011
there are some nice pensiones in ensanche espaillat for your price range. my BIL lives in a nice "1 bedroom" with his wife (a dining/kitchen area and a nice size bedroom) there for 2800 a month. not nearly as nuts as los salados. i'd stay away from any groupings of apartments in the barrios (like in los reyes and monterico)

That's great. But they pay their own electricity, no doubt?

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010

Can you get me a little more info on this place? I'd really appreciate it. Seems do-able if I can get a gig soon enough. When I do a Google map search is shows it is on the southwestern side of the city. Is that correct?