Kawasaki disease. ..

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
It looks likr my son is having a rotten luck of going through it for second time. Is there doctor who can correctly diagnoses this and property treat this rare disease for mostly Asian?

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
It's best to have a pediatrician diagnose this condition. Check in Santiago or Santo Domingo for a good pediatrician. Good Luck

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I remember that you live in Santiago, so you should get you son to the Arturo Grullon children's hospital. It is behind the baseball stadium.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Please go and see Dr. Robinson Abreu in Clinica Corominas. If you want his number please send me a PM...He helped me raise my flock of children and now some of my grandchildren.

HB

I am sure you have seen this: Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) is the standard treatment for Kawasaki disease[109] and is administered in high doses with marked improvement usually noted within 24 hours. If the fever does not respond, an additional dose may have to be considered. In rare cases, a third dose may be given to the child. IVIG by itself is most useful within the first seven days of onset of fever, in terms of preventing coronary artery aneurysm.

Salicylate therapy
, particularly aspirin, remains an important part of the treatment (though questioned by some)[110] but salicylates alone are not as effective as IVIG. Aspirin therapy is started at high doses until the fever subsides, and then is continued at a low dose when the patient returns home, usually for two months to prevent blood clots from forming. Except for Kawasaki disease and a few other indications, aspirin is otherwise normally not recommended for children due to its association with Reye's syndrome. Because children with Kawasaki disease will be taking aspirin for up to several months, vaccination against varicella and influenza is required, as these infections are most likely to cause Reye's syndrome.[111]

Last edited:

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
The high fever, redness of eyes, irritations and rashes, it was turning into another classic case of Kawasaki to us and with prior researching books, researching on the net and the printouts the hospital gave us the last time we went through, we knew the symptoms and it all point to tell tell signs of Kawasaki and we had been told, sometimes it isn't easy to truly diagnose it early, got us jumpy.

Last time.
The horror of watching 8 months old going though that was heart wrenching experience. I rather lay on the bed and be operated without any anesthesia, then having told to hold and watch 4 specialty nurses, a teen social worker, father and mother holding and watching them butchering my son's body, arms and legs multiple times because they couldn't find the vein and having to go through that again when the needle got moved and had to be reinserted was most heart sinking experience that we went through. And worst part was first IVIG had no effect and having to restart the process again and being told that if this fails doctor told us that the process involve will be more complicated. And disease being effect the heart artery, there were known to have cause heart complications and it may have lasting side effect. There's no parents in this world that will just scuff it off if child is showing 4 of known signs.

Having to gone through above and know the possible side effect, my heart sank as I watch my son's eyes turn red with 103 degree high fever and rashes. We went to emergency room of HOMS around 6:30 the interns there seems like they had no clue and "so called" doctors. I must add that head nurse making fun of our last name was SOOOOOoooooo comforting/entertaining and shows their professionalism on their work. Mind you I used my English first name and I gave my son name that can be easily used by both English and Korean. They seriously called us ching-chang-chong as me gave them Sonny and Young as our first name. (I guess being Asian our names automatically be comes dishes and metals being hit together?) Anyway as we sat there with horrified 32 months old, all worried and try to comfort both wife and son, I heard our "new" name being called by head nurse, and told to go home and give him Acetaminophen they told me they think it's a dangue and want to have another blood test done tomorrow.

We took our son home gave him some Acetaminophen watched checked his temperature every 30 minutes. It kept going up and reached 103.5 degree and saw my son shivering. OK.... Enough we went back to emergency room around 11:30ish. And I have told the less knowledgeable the above story. And he answered "What do you want me to do?" I almost explode but I know there's no sense explaining what even interim doctor should know and do. I wasn't going to go back home with sick son with now probably 104+ fever. so I kindly said bring my son's temperature down, and I can't leave unless I see him safe. So they start give him medicine no still around 101-102. We took him cold shower cold to touch but after about 20 min. or so it still showed around 39 Celsius on their thermostat. And around so many hours passed and I guess he has told the higher ranking officer. One lady doctor came by and asked if we have doctor we see I said yes but we weren't able to see her. She was knowledgeable and went straight to the point. She is aware that it might be slight chance it can be Kawasaki but all the sign that is showing her Dangue, explained and asked many conversation and conclusion was bring temperature down go home come back in the morning and another blood test or even a Echo cardiogram if we want to be sure. She told clueless doctor to give him a medicine to take rectally :( My boy and I wasn't happy but bringing down temperature was priority number 1. Waited and waited no sign of him around asked 1 nurse dosing off on the desk. NO clue. I finally saw him and he said "oh yeah" the medicine and he got it. My wife shoved it up and I cringe beside her. NO good. It all came out after short while. We gave him another dose Acetemaphen no good. After seeing the watch hitting 3AM I started the admission process.

It seems like they've gone through enough dangue here to find a good vein. One shot while me and my wife holding down my son. And it was all good to go. Got in to the room around 4ish. After my son fall asleep and us wash ours faces, someone came by and gave him medicine through the tube around 5AM and itwoke our son up. And put him back to sleep and I was just dead on the sofa and my wife kind of stayed awake and kept measuring his progress. We saw our doctora Maria Perchanco. And she said the same thing as the doctora we saw in the emergency room. So we are due another blood test. I just came back after witnessing our son's temperature is back to normal as they only had one sofa for adult to comfortably sleep on.

I learned few thing from all this...
1. Pediatric portion of HOMS emergency room here is a complete joke but still better then nothing.
2. There are knowledgeable doctors here.
3. Dangue can show same signs of Kawasaki (Still have to confirm 100% but I am going with two doctors we saw for now)
4. Dangue and Kawasaki involves similar process but administrating different medicine though kid's veins.
5. They might have IVig here!!! (As I was told)
6. Hospital room:
Good: Have individual shower in a bathroom
Bad: No windows.
Good&Bad: less nurse to watch/bother you.

I will report back after tomorrow. I feel tired now.

PS: As alway HB thanks for the info. We might have found another great one. (fingers crossed!) We started to seeing her last year, when we had to send our son to school. She had been nothing but great so far.

Last edited:

fidget

Sep 2, 2004
I can only imagine the pain your son and your family is going through. I hope it is not dengue and all will be well soon.
I am speechless at the rudeness of the nurses and hope you get better treatment from now on.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good luck: I would suggest after reading the alleged causes of Kawasaki that perhaps Dengue is more possible.

What I will do is print out your commentary and make sure it gets to Dr Sanchez Espa?ol who is the president of the Board of Directors. I do not know what good it will do but it might. Their cultural consciousness is not very high..

Be good to see you one of these days...

HB

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Koreano, my thoughts are with you and your family. i wish your son a speedy recovery, and i wish you well. most importantly, i hope this does not return.

Dec 26, 2011
Your son is blessed to have such loving parents. Wishing the best for the young man.

PS- Forgive the ignorant. They know not what they do.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Thank you all.

As my son’s temperature subsided, I had my son brought home last night. Me and my wife was dead tired but we all had to make another trip to hospital this morning to draw more blood. We had the blood test done yesterday and the doctora was concerned on one area and wanted to keep him for more days but we felt there would be no need since he was doing so great. And we thought it would do more harm than good if we kept him for more days. He has returned to playful and cheerful himself and it would be next to impossible to have him to plugged in to that tube for longer time. And as we have only seen nurse 1-2 times in 12 hours, we definitely felt no need to stay more days. We saw food service more times then our nurse or doctors.

This may not applied to you but I am going to add what I have experienced, and also advice for DR hospital noob. Again the experience and the service maybe different for you , so take it as a grain of salt.

Like I pointed out earlier, the Hospital stay was good and bad. It was good to see fewer nurses and young interns coming in and out to bother patients, as I feel hospital in US spends way too many money and employee to come in to bother their patients to check for not much needed things or that can be done at one time. Yes it is critical to see all the vital signs of the patients but when you look at the report from US hospital you will understand where all these $3000 per night hospital stays charges come from. There are pages of pages of different vital signs checked by different individual and doctors report saying same thing over 50 pages and not much else to show for. And I know this doesn’t apply to Canadian and those who came from some kind of government health insurance. But I feel stay at hospital was not that expensive. Whole ordeal came out to around RD$26000. That’s two visits to ER and 36-40 hours in Hospital. I paid more per night when my wife had C section in US hospital and I had the full coverage insurance as well. Whole 5 day stay came out to be US$1500 and we were grateful that the hospital stay was that low.

And now continue with bad. Yes, like I said fewer visit of nurse can be good but I wonder if those are more critical gets the same treatment as those are less ill? (Maybe someone else can confirm this) Next, make sure you have cahs or have credit card/debit card that can withdraw at least US$500/day or RD$20000. I didn’t want to put this on the bad, we are in DR after all. If you don’t have DR insurance or US insurance only (still have one more Echo in US) you will need money. After our previous incident, where my wife’s purse got stolen, and my son’s consistently looking for sweets in my wife’s bag, and have not activated card andI have set limit of withdrawal amount of cash on my debit card and trying to call us bank at 3AM in hospital doesn’t always go well. And what I felt the worst for this hospital stay experience is. I don’t think the hospital has all the vital signs of my son. We visited ER twice and stayed there for 2 days and I will bet $100 bucks that they don’t even have my son’s blood pressure numbers or a pulse rate. I maybe wrong or over thinking this but don’t young patients with Dangue fever need to be checked for pulse and blood pressure as well? Yes they came by once “on our request” to try to check for the blood pressure . Did she successfully checked the blood pressure? Nope. Tell me how many 2 years old is happy being in hospital, needle stuck to his arm and don’t cry. He cries and she walked away and never returned, not even once in the room they came back and checked from other missed vital signs.

BUT.

Overall the hospital stay in DR wasn’t that bad. With right doctor and right diagnosis you may even leave happy. But good or bad, don’t expect same as back in State or whichever country you are from. Ffind out as much about your condition and make sure they consistently check for some of the critical vital signs if it needs to be checked. What I have learned dealing with workers here is, I wouldn’t expect them to check the vital signs and even give medicine in timely and automatically, I would look at the time carefully check and note them on a notepadf or have someone else check or note it for me and ask to give medicine or check for whatever vital signs needed if they don’t do it with in reasonable time of say 1 hour.

I hope nobody would have to search for HOMS hospital stays but I hope this would help those are in question sending to one of the biggest hospital in this country.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
HB...

My wife have made fresh batch of Kimchi, perhaps I can bring some to you and have that bite and drink at nearby place as discussed earlier...

But...

It sure look back to normal for now but I want to make 100% sure it's all over with. :)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
HB...

My wife have made fresh batch of Kimchi, perhaps I can bring some to you and have that bite and drink at nearby place as discussed earlier...

But...

It sure look back to normal for now but I want to make 100% sure it's all over with. :)

i am delighted for you, Koreano. i know it must have been an ordeal. be well.