Question about Dominicans working temporarily overseas

Apr 13, 2011
I am not sure if this the right category for my questions.
But - I want to understand some of the local logic about how they do this.

A little background first - since I am American, many people will talk to me about how they have traveled overseas or plan to travel overseas.
It makes sense to me when they travel for vacation or if they travel to visit family overseas for a short trip.

The situation I can never seem to get good enough answers around is when they tell me that they either traveled temporarily for work or plan to do so. This seems more common to places like Germany or Spain.
At first, I ask about how they did the work visa process. They say they did not go on a work visa.
I ask what they did for work - that seems to get the most vague answers. And none of the answers ever seem to be on a high demand skill. So how did they get a visa? How did they get to stay? And how did they make enough money to live on?
From some of the women, they have given answers like "I worked in a beauty salon" or "I worked as a secretary". From some of the men, "I worked as a driver"...
I know that is all possible...
The part that baffles me is the logic that they seem to be doing this to go and "make a lot of money to bring back to the DR after working for a few months overseas"...

I know that getting a job in a foreign country can pay more than they would earn in the DR (many jobs, even some of the menial jobs) - but after flight costs, rent, transportation, etc in Germany or Spain - how much money could they really save to bring home?

For some of the women, I understand the allure of the idea - because some are single mothers, who tell me the only job they can get in the DR will pay them 8000-10,000 pesos per month - and after transportation, etc, it is not enough money for her and her kids - so they make arrangements to leave the kids with the grandmother or an aunt or some family member - and go to Germany or Spain for 6-9 months to make some money.
But - they never seem to have plans further than the plane ticket to get there. No advance plan on a job or living arrangement or transportation... Yet, someone else has told them that "they" did this and was able to save a decent amount of money to bring back to the DR.

Is this only an illusion? And - I am hoping that the women are not going overseas to be prostitutes (though I would guess that a few do that). But can they legitimately get decent jobs in Germany or Spain at enough money to bring back a decent savings?

Spain and Germany seem to be the popular destinations that they mention. I can kind of understand Spain, because the language is the same, but their economy is horrible. Germany is an odd choice, because the language is extremely different. Are these countries just easier for a Dominican to get a visa to allow entry - and then they find whatever after they get in?

I know the job situation is horrible for many Dominicans in the DR. But the math (or process) does not seem to add up that going overseas for menial jobs can get them a decent savings - how is it possible?
I ask the questions here - because there may be people who have done this - or know people who have done this - and have better answers than I have been getting.

Just trying to understand.

Dec 26, 2011
Are the vast majority of Dominicans you know driven by logical thinking, planning ahead, counting the cost, considering consequences...or...mi tia/prima/amiga me dijo?

Apr 13, 2011
Are the vast majority of Dominicans you know driven by logical thinking, planning ahead, counting the cost, considering consequences...or...mi tia/prima/amiga me dijo?
:) True - there are many people not making decisions with any good logic or planning ahead :) Though that is not just a Dominican issue, many people have those issues. :)

But - there does seem to be some perpetuation of the myth of "great opportunity" overseas - and there may be after years of working at it - but 6 months??? 9 months???

Or is there any truth to this myth?? I know the salary levels in the DR are low - so comparing any salary to one overseas, it would seem like a lot of money to some people - but the costs... it does not seem to add up.

I could understand if an engineer got a good job in Germany or Spain, because that would pay at a scale well worth the relocation for a Dominican (though that would probably happen with a job offer beforehand and getting a proper work visa...)

How can someone go the to be a "hairdresser" and make enough to bring anything back?? Especially after only less than a year?

Is it just me? Or does something not add up correctly??

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Many Dominicans abroad live together, sometimes up to 6 adults in one apartment and share expenses.In this way, they are able to save money to send home.

Dec 26, 2011
:) True - there are many people not making decisions with any good logic or planning ahead :) Though that is not just a Dominican issue, many people have those issues. :)

But - there does seem to be some perpetuation of the myth of "great opportunity" overseas - and there may be after years of working at it - but 6 months??? 9 months???

Or is there any truth to this myth?? I know the salary levels in the DR are low - so comparing any salary to one overseas, it would seem like a lot of money to some people - but the costs... it does not seem to add up.

I could understand if an engineer got a good job in Germany or Spain, because that would pay at a scale well worth the relocation for a Dominican (though that would probably happen with a job offer beforehand and getting a proper work visa...)

How can someone go the to be a "hairdresser" and make enough to bring anything back?? Especially after only less than a year?

Is it just me? Or does something not add up correctly??

It's pretty simple. Their(those that haven't traveled) exposure to life in the extranjero basically comes from three sources:

1. Television

2. Foreigners that have traveled to RD

3. Friends and family that have traveled

1. Television: They see artistas that live in luxury. Commercials for cars, phones, clothing, shoes. Series featuring families living in comfortable homes in nice neighborhoods. This forms an image, albeit subconscious, of how life is off the island.

2. Foreigners: You had enough to get a passport, buy a round-trip ticket and you've still got cash in your pocket. They couldn't do that on what they make. So, they conclude, if they move to where you're from, they'll be better off.

3. Friends and family that visit from abroad: They want to make their best impression. Some out of vanity and braggadocio. Others out of a desire to save face. Yet others to reassure concerned family members that they're not pasando trabajo. So they wear their best clothes. Best jewelry. Some even rent jewelry. That's right. RENT JEWELRY. They exaggerate their successes and occult or minimize their struggles. They paint a very rosy picture.

All of this, over time, creates an image of a place where money is abundant and the living is easy.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I am not sure if this the right category for my questions.
Is this only an illusion? And - I am hoping that the women are not going overseas to be prostitutes (though I would guess that a few do that). But can they legitimately get decent jobs in Germany or Spain at enough money to bring back a decent savings?

Spain and Germany seem to be the popular destinations that they mention.

For Dominican women, prostitution is a major form of employment in Europe. Germany and Switzerland are top destinations due to higher income of clients and favorable prostitution laws. Also Lebanon (or least was until recently). Guys tend to be more into the drug trade. The process of getting visas, tickets etc is well organized by gangs. It's an industry.

Gitana-

Jan 13, 2010
I've seen many of them do this in Puerto Rico. They live amontonados, lots of adults living in a house crowded like sardines in a can. They spend almost nothing and bust their behinds working, working, working, to send money back home.

It used to like that, I don't know anymore with the drug trade being so lucrative....

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Well of course there is prostitution and drugs, but they wont tell their family that, hence hairdresser, driver etc...... But in switzerland if ure ressourcful, a waiter can earn 3000 chf salary plus say 500 tips. do the math, 3500x 40 to the pesos:140 0000 pesos a month. Ticket 2 way 1200 chf, appartment 1000chf a month, 500 chf food, 500 chf other. So once uve paid ure ticket ure saving up 1500 chf a month, like 60 000 pesos...Do that for a year or 2, u come back ti dr with over a mill7on pesos...... Just saying its possible if u sacrifice a lot.

Dec 26, 2011
And let's not forget, as defensive as Dominicans get when anyone says anything about their beloved Quisqueya, most of them are sick of the same stuff expats complain about.

Apr 13, 2011
malko - thank you for the example about a waiter in Switzerland - it does give some relevance to certain things being possible.

I tend to also agree with some of the other posters that it seems like more people tend to live dirt cheap and tell their family that they are doing much better than they actually are.

I knew a driver in NYC from the DR. I used his service often to go to the airport. He had come up from the DR to make money for his wife and kids at home. His car was very nice, which made since because his job was being a car service. After a while, I was able to ask him how things were really going.
He said that he lived in a small studio room in the Bronx to keep his rent cheap. But it was the expenses that were killing him... He had borrowed money to get a decent car, plus the car insurance, plus the gas and keeping the car clean (all so he could get the clients, especially airport clients, that paid better) - he could get a good amount of money each day - and he would brag back home about the gross revenue he was making, but in reality, after all his expenses, his net profit was not allowing him to make enough for his family.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011

So so true..if I hear one more time "ay pero mi amigo lo hizo" or "primo me dijo" (sp). You do not know how many times when trying to explain the laws and basic rules of living in the USA and those are the answers I get. I know some who have mastered the "American Dream" but I know many more that didn't and alot of that failure was a lack of planning and accepting that life in the US for example is not the same as DR. I know many who are in the US just to say they are in the US because they live worse in the US than they would in the DR. They work to save money to come back to the DR to "show off" their "good life" while living in a rat infested, 8 to an apartment life in the US. Now I am not saying all because like I said I do know many who have done well with hard work and planning but the many that do leave the DR for another country do so for a fast buck.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
but the many that do leave the DR for another country do so for a fast buck.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xjfi758AKgo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>..................................