Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Living as a local

I plan to live as a local, none of the Americanized crap. How should I plan? I have 2 dogs, I don't need luxuries, I just plan on living and working hard. What is a good cost of living projection?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Especially in lower class (=cheaper rent etc.) dogs are less valued than a chicken and dog poisoning is widespread...

3. Likes Africaida, PeterInBrat liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on which social status you intend to integrate, please do not think this is a one status country like in the tourist brochures. How much it cost you to live like a local, depends on what social status you intend to integrate into.

You can 'live like a local' but never think like one, you don't wanna do that, no matter what social status you submerge yourself in.

As for your dogs, well, I never get why people bring their pets here, it is a crap country to be any kind of animal, on every level.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Two dogs will spend 10% of your 650 dollar budget at least.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

$650 budget? Who is going to attempt this sorry lifestyle?

7. Likes beyondnyc, curlando liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

When you say live like a local, what do you plan to spend a month? Locally there are rich and there are poor.

9. Likes Africaida liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Givadogahome View Post
    $650 budget? Who is going to attempt this sorry lifestyle?
    26,000 pesos per month for one person that wants to eat local, doesn't watch TV or wish to have internet is very doable. I am sure there are posters on DR1 living on less. I don't spend more than 30,000 and I run two households.

11. Likes Stepha228, curious29, nsgirl liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    26,000 pesos per month for one person that wants to eat local, doesn't watch TV or wish to have internet is very doable.
    Yes, it is very doable, but like I said 'who is going to attempt this sorry lifestyle? Eating basic, no luxury, no TV, no Internet, sounds like a miserable existence to me, for those who are used to more.
    this country is boring as hell if you can't afford to entertain yourself.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe some people like living simple? Maybe some people aren't consumerists? Maybe some people don't need luxury? Maybe people are different than you?

I am a little offended when you say 'sorry lifestyle' for the simple reason when I was in the DR last time how I lived I was much happier than I am living in America with all these 'luxuries' like the internet.

I don't need to stream Netflix while I eat steak and shrimp in the DR.

14. Likes N/A, Pablo29, malko, nsgirl liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

My dogs are like a security system. I saw many dogs and how they live in the D.R. I plan on living as a local; none of the extras that most Americans rely on. Yet I'm also considering other options.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast