Fridge and Stove Brands

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I tend to see many brands of each that are unfamiliar to me.

Can anyone express an opinion or review on say "Mabe", "Nedoka" or others they recommend and where is the best place to find deals in SD?

Thx.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We have a Nedoka fridge and six burner Nedoka stove. We bought them because my mother in law has had one for ten years without a problem. They seem to withstand the power flunctuations and outages very well. There are different levels of both in terms of luxury...etc. We have no complaints about ours. They were also a little cheaper price wise than the GE....ETC. Plaza Lama has a good variety.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the brand you know about will be expensive. they are, however, available: LG, whirlpool, samsung and so on.
mabe is very decent, i think. candy is also worth looking at, albeit expensive (stoves). there is a brand called sanky too, i kid you not. fairly solid too.

check plaza lama. always pay cash, because they will give you a discount. bring a pickup or a truck or a jeep to take the stuff yourself if you want super fast delivery ;)

Dec 26, 2011
Mabe is very popular in fridges. Reasonably priced. Attractive. See them everywhere. Only time will tell if they're a worthwhile investment.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, it has been my experience that Plaza Lama sells rebuilt products that look new and does not back any warranty.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the brand you know about will be expensive. they are, however, available: LG, whirlpool, samsung and so on.
mabe is very decent, i think. candy is also worth looking at, albeit expensive (stoves). there is a brand called sanky too, i kid you not. fairly solid too.

check plaza lama. always pay cash, because they will give you a discount. bring a pickup or a truck or a jeep to take the stuff yourself if you want super fast delivery ;)

first, the Koreans ran off GE and Whirlpool, with brands like LG and Samsung. now the Chinese have started making inroads into the electrodomestics market, with all manner of odd brand names. Sanky is the odd man out. that one is made in Puerto Plata. Chinese brands are all attaining higher standards, as they learn the game, mostly by back engineering. one example is in the headphone market. 10 years ago, if you wanted a decent headphone, it would cost an arm and a leg. now the chinese simply buy a unit of one of these well known brands, and they copy it down to the letter, with minimal cosmetic changes. now, guys who spent 250 dollars on a headphone like an AKG702 are horrified to know that they can now buy a 50 dollar Chinese phone that sounds as good as, or better than, their high dollar version.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nedoca (Neveras Dominicanas, C x A) earned its stripes in the DR 40 and 50 years ago. Started as an import substitution company, they imported some parts and manufactured and assembled other parts here. The things worked!! For years they were the standard that others were judged by. I had one, other family members had one and they all worked.

Mabe is a brand that makes stoves and fridges. They seem to do well but not like Nedoca. I have a Mabe stove, and I have replaced most of the top. but it keeps on working and the oven is pretty accurate.

I brought in my fridge from Florida, it was a "take out" at an apartment complex and in great condition. So far, three year and counting (knock knock)....

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have had great luck with "LG" products, ALL purchased at "Plaza Lama"!
The "Urban Dominican Myth" that "PLaza lama" sells "Refurbs", has NOT been my experience.
I have TV's, Radios, Fans, and some really good Air Conditioners, all "LGs".
I had a poor service with an air conditioner bought there, but that was 15 years ago.
"CASH" is the way to buy anywhere in the DR.
I presonally don't like "Mabe", or "Nidoca" brands. Bad experiences with a "Mabe" stove, and a "Nidoca" "Fridge".
We are gradually replacing all our regular LG"Split" air conditioners, with LG "inverter" units.
Bigger BTU units, that use less electricity than the old units.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Nedoca (Neveras Dominicanas, C x A) earned its stripes in the DR 40 and 50 years ago. Started as an import substitution company, they imported some parts and manufactured and assembled other parts here. The things worked!! For years they were the standard that others were judged by. I had one, other family members had one and they all worked.

Mabe is a brand that makes stoves and fridges. They seem to do well but not like Nedoca. I have a Mabe stove, and I have replaced most of the top. but it keeps on working and the oven is pretty accurate.

I brought in my fridge from Florida, it was a "take out" at an apartment complex and in great condition. So far, three year and counting (knock knock)....

HB

So would that be the company at the heart of the myth surrounding the wreck out in front of the Riu hoteles in Bavaro.....Hearsay had it that it was a vessel attempting to sneak in appliances or parts for appliances that got hung up on the reef..............true story? or myth?.................There is usually some element of truth in every myth....Has anybody else heard that tale?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I guess at the end of the day buying the DR assembled brands "nedoca" "mabe" may be BEST (if the quality is there) when a breakdown occurs and one needs parts and someone knowledgable of repair...

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I bought a Kenmore stove from the capital to replace an aging GE I had at my ranch. The stove/oven work wonderfully for about 30 days until the power fluctuations completely confused (and toasted) the electronics in the appliance. I continue to use it but if you get something full of electronics...be careful!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We bought new appliances last year at La Sirena, went for a full size GE refrigerator/freezer. Was buying a new stove, looking at all the brands, and I picked out a Mabe [I think]. Salesman asked me to look at an Acros stove, showed me the gas burners were better made, etc. And was even a bit cheaper. 4 burners plus the long oval one in center. Very happy with it.