DR wants to join British Commonwealth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2007
First of all, I do not know where this belongs...government, the clown bin? Let's leave it in living to get some exposure and then mods feel free to move it to either of the two ...

So, it looks now, the Dominican Republic is aspiring to join the British Commonwealth!

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2013/3/25/47113/Dominican-Republic-bids-to-join-Commonwealth

Dominican Republic Foreign Minister Carlos Morales Troncoso announced on Sunday that the country will make approaches with a view to joining the British Commonwealth, an international organization made up of 54 countries with close political and economic relations with the United Kingdom.

“It is a membership that will consolidate our common values that were already share and that, together with Haiti, we must continue to strengthen: democracy, freedom, culture of peace, the rule of law and equality of opportunities,” declared Morales Troncoso.

In a press release, the foreign minister stated that the Dominican business sector has been calling for the country to join the Commonwealth for decades, on the grounds that it is a political platform that will allow Dominican society to access a network of interactions that will strengthen education, health, trade, the environment and the justice system.

The comments on the DT site are also well pointed, and some quite funny.

Quote:

This has to be pure fantasy ...First the commonwealth is based on countries that had or still have the British sovereign as Head of State ,,the countries have as the basis of their law the law of jurisprudence and precedence and the fact that a person is inocent until proved guilty and fairness.
On the sporting front the commonwealth countries play the british introduced sports of cricket ,rugby and soccer , Although a loose assortment of countries ,I do not think they are so loose as to include the DR and most certainly the sole motive of gaining more trade while ignoring all the other values of the British Commonwealth is unthinkable.I can understand their present desire to cutties with Spain
Well , we do live in a very contrasting country but this must be the oddest thing around

Next time, what will DR aspire to? Be a new province of China?

End Quote

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
But isn't India a British Commonwealth and also most of South Africa? What's the problem.Of course you will hear negative comments from those who are not in favor.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
India and South Africa were part of the British empire. The Dominican Republic was not.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
But isn't India a British Commonwealth and also most of South Africa? What's the problem.Of course you will hear negative comments from those who are not in favor.
Both of those countries were at one time part of the british empire

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
Maybe we will soon get great smoked bacon, black puddings, square slice sausages, plain bread, brown beer, puff pastry, lamb stock cubes, Branston pickle etc etc.

Dec 26, 2011

India was once part of the British Empire- a colony. So too, Australia. Many African nations. Other Caribbean islands. Canada. What history does RD share with the Commonwealth?

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Maybe we will soon get great smoked bacon, black puddings, square slice sausages, plain bread, brown beer, puff pastry, lamb stock cubes, Branston pickle etc etc.
And drive on the wrong side of the road.....oops I forgot they already do that here

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Is that one of the criteria? You must share something in order to join? Puerto Rico is a common wealth of the US and was not part of an empire.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
There are two nations that were not former British colonies, and which are now members of Commonwealth. Mozambique and Rwanda. Do we really want DR to be on the same status as these two nations?

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Thank you Rubio Higuey! That's is what I'm referring to,a country does not have to have anything in common in order to be part of a common wealth.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'll discuss this with my Dominican family next time we're enjoying our afternoon tea and crumpets.

do not forget the scones and marmalade. and, Earl Grey tea, please. none of that stuff in the bright green boxes with the Chinese lettering.

Feb 7, 2007
Is that one of the criteria? You must share something in order to join? Puerto Rico is a common wealth of the US and was not part of an empire.

You are comparing apples with oranges. Puerto Rico is an "estado libre asociado" and its citizens are US citizens and carry US passports. Same as Guam and US Virgin Islands. They do not vote for the president though, but they still pay taxes and get federal benefits. Quite different to the British Commonwealth setup.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Rubio Higuey,read my above post #13 again,I had to edit.In response to your post #11.

Status
Not open for further replies.