Speed Bumps in Cabarete

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Well they started to put in some speed bumps (policia acostado) in Cabarete, the first one in front of the entry of LAX and they were measuring out for more. Maybe they will put a couple in front of Yanets (Janets for those who speak English).......someone just told me they are putting one in front of the supermarket

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i sure hope they will paint them yellow and keep them painted. i run across few unexpected speed bumps and was temporarily airborne... this idea not going to fly. well, figuratively speaking :)

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
i sure hope they will paint them yellow and keep them painted. i run across few unexpected speed bumps and was temporarily airborne... this idea not going to fly. well, figuratively speaking :)

Yes they are the big plastic yellow ones, so if you missed them, you had a couple too many cuba libre's

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no, i meant i missed some old speed bumps on the way to la isabela, a while ago. this is why i say those in cabarete should be made visible. people go vary fast there. hit a bump like this on high speed and you can cause the worse accident cabatere has ever seen...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
no, i meant i missed some old speed bumps on the way to la isabela, a while ago. this is why i say those in cabarete should be made visible. people go vary fast there. hit a bump like this on high speed and you can cause the worse accident cabatere has ever seen...

well, dv8, knowing Dominican thinking, they wiii buy the paint and lock it away securely in a storeroom, to be used after 32 people get killed when a speeding Mack truck goes into a crowded restaurant, airborne.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
these are not the usual sleeping policemen but bright yellow studs....as hammerdown says above, you'd be doing well to miss them.

Now, if they could just slow the traffic down around the kite beach (Kite Club) corner that would be great

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i see. the bumps i usually see are just cement, painted yellow. in time the colour is lost and the bump is barely visible. you are talking those metal ones, right? bolted, i think, into the street?
i hope they work. folks need to slow down going through cabarete...

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I know a bar owner on the North Coast (who shall remain anon), when he saw a crew putting in asphalt speed bumps near the bar, went and spoke with the foreman. He paid a small "tax" and they put an extra bump right in front of his bar.

It slowed cars down right in front of his open air bar. The gringos in the car would look, the bar maids would wave, and presto...mo bidness.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
DR loves the speed bumps. Most likely someone will cut a path through them where the tires go.

LTSteve

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If they buy the paint, it will maybe be used one time. Then it magical dissapears from the storerooms, and 6 months later a couple of buildings in a close by barrio will lighten up in the most beautiful bright yellow colours.

actually, Rattus, the color will appear on some generalissimo's house

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
On the south coast west of SD they've been busy painting yellow and white stripes on all the speed bumps, first time I've seen this done this thoroughly in decades. One stretch has small round metal discs imbedded in the pavement instead of a bump, several staggered rows, you do have to go slowly over them, the entire car rocks around.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Are the speed bumps permanent or just for Samana Santa?

(I noticed yesterday that Neptuno is back in Puerto Plata.)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
One stretch has small round metal discs imbedded in the pavement instead of a bump, several staggered rows, you do have to go slowly over them, the entire car rocks around.
mmmm, i could drive on those little discs all day....
:eek::eek::eek:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
good news. They should be spaced all through "town" as the dusty strip of run down stores and bars is termed.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
The first one is just about where the Kaoba Hotel is. Apparently, there are supposed to be 5 of them throughout Cabarete up to Janet's.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Speed bumps so we can slow down to take in the views?? Oh, wait, there are NO views in Cabarete along that road. The speed bumps can't be for slowing down, can they? So many cars parked along the road, on-coming traffic, drunken tourists, oblivious kiters, etc all compete to see who can slow down the traffic the best. Why bumps in the road??