Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Drivers License

  1. #1
    Silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,595
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Drivers License

    Know this has probably been asked before, but anyway

    Can you legally obtain a Dominican drivers license with Temporary Residency, or does the residency have to be permanent.

  2. #2
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    26,590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I believe this link will answer your question:


    Driver

  3. #3
    Silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,595
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    I believe this link will answer your question:


    Driver
    The way I read this as long as you have your Temp Residency and cedula then your good to go. Only part I would disagree with is the part below for USA as the US consulate does not validate State issued drivers licenses.

    If the applicant fulfills the requirements mentioned above and he/she holds a foreign driver’s license, they will be exempt of having to take the written and driving test. They must only request a diplomatic certificate from the consulate of the country where their driver’s license was issued which must specify the validity of the permit.

  4. #4
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    761
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The DR does not recognize a valid US drivers license for exchange, when/if you have your cedula you can easily take the required exams and obtain your driving license (the process is really easy).
    For reasons I don't understand, the French can simply show their drivers license accompanied by a small French stamp and are issued a Dominican license immediately. Go figure ... But then there's a lot of that in this country

    Good luck & have fun
    cg

  5. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    805
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yes and renewed mine todayband it was painless the medical was an eye test the total process took 2 long hours however this was a large part waitng in line a banca reservas where you pay your impuestos of 800 pesos .this was the puertoplata location . Good for another 4 years .... Now if i could just renew my cedula before its due that would be really champ , however i have been led to believe this is not possible !If anyone has proff of this being a fable let me know! Lol

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arrugala View Post
    Yes and renewed mine todayband it was painless the medical was an eye test the total process took 2 long hours however this was a large part waitng in line a banca reservas where you pay your impuestos of 800 pesos .this was the puertoplata location . Good for another 4 years .... Now if i could just renew my cedula before its due that would be really champ , however i have been led to believe this is not possible !If anyone has proff of this being a fable let me know! Lol
    So I have the receipt from Banreservas and then no drivers test nothing? Just eyetest, foto, boom, ready? I will go to the Puerto Plata one also...

  7. #7
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    22,598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If you get nervous or stuck somehow, I'm sure you'll find a helping hand at the POP office if you put 500 pesos in that helper's hand

  8. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
  9. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    If you get nervous or stuck somehow, I'm sure you'll find a helping hand at the POP office if you put 500 pesos in that helper's hand
    My experience is that 500 is too much then they might be interested to get you into more trouble... I have a 200 bill and some hundreds ready Othervise no money should be paid at the POP Office?

  10. #9
    Silver
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,745
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DR Mpe View Post
    So I have the receipt from Banreservas and then no drivers test nothing? Just eyetest, foto, boom, ready? I will go to the Puerto Plata one also...
    If it's a renewal, no. If you don't have a licence yet, then that's another story.

  11. #10
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    22,598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DR Mpe View Post
    My experience is that 500 is too much then they might be interested to get you into more trouble... I have a 200 bill and some hundreds ready Othervise no money should be paid at the POP Office?
    I'm talking about the driving school instructors for the VIP treatment... not a direct handout..... I don't like direct.
    Indirect thru the chofer school is my route.

  12. Likes DR Mpe liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •