Drivers License

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Know this has probably been asked before, but anyway

Can you legally obtain a Dominican drivers license with Temporary Residency, or does the residency have to be permanent.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
I believe this link will answer your question:

Driver

The way I read this as long as you have your Temp Residency and cedula then your good to go. Only part I would disagree with is the part below for USA as the US consulate does not validate State issued drivers licenses.

If the applicant fulfills the requirements mentioned above and he/she holds a foreign driver’s license, they will be exempt of having to take the written and driving test. They must only request a diplomatic certificate from the consulate of the country where their driver’s license was issued which must specify the validity of the permit.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
The DR does not recognize a valid US drivers license for exchange, when/if you have your cedula you can easily take the required exams and obtain your driving license (the process is really easy).
For reasons I don't understand, the French can simply show their drivers license accompanied by a small French stamp and are issued a Dominican license immediately. Go figure ... But then there's a lot of that in this country

Good luck & have fun
cg

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Yes and renewed mine todayband it was painless the medical was an eye test the total process took 2 long hours however this was a large part waitng in line a banca reservas where you pay your impuestos of 800 pesos .this was the puertoplata location . Good for another 4 years .... Now if i could just renew my cedula before its due that would be really champ , however i have been led to believe this is not possible !If anyone has proff of this being a fable let me know! Lol

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Yes and renewed mine todayband it was painless the medical was an eye test the total process took 2 long hours however this was a large part waitng in line a banca reservas where you pay your impuestos of 800 pesos .this was the puertoplata location . Good for another 4 years .... Now if i could just renew my cedula before its due that would be really champ , however i have been led to believe this is not possible !If anyone has proff of this being a fable let me know! Lol

So I have the receipt from Banreservas and then no drivers test nothing? Just eyetest, foto, boom, ready? I will go to the Puerto Plata one also...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you get nervous or stuck somehow, I'm sure you'll find a helping hand at the POP office if you put 500 pesos in that helper's hand

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
If you get nervous or stuck somehow, I'm sure you'll find a helping hand at the POP office if you put 500 pesos in that helper's hand

My experience is that 500 is too much then they might be interested to get you into more trouble... I have a 200 bill and some hundreds ready ;) Othervise no money should be paid at the POP Office?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
So I have the receipt from Banreservas and then no drivers test nothing? Just eyetest, foto, boom, ready? I will go to the Puerto Plata one also...

If it's a renewal, no. If you don't have a licence yet, then that's another story.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My experience is that 500 is too much then they might be interested to get you into more trouble... I have a 200 bill and some hundreds ready ;) Othervise no money should be paid at the POP Office?

I'm talking about the driving school instructors for the VIP treatment... not a direct handout..... I don't like direct.
Indirect thru the chofer school is my route.

Feb 7, 2007
So if one has a valid US license, you have to pay the fees, do the medical, do the written test, get temporary permit good for 45 days, then do a driving test, get the final license? Soon to got through this process so please advise...
thank you

roymustang9

Nov 6, 2012
I believe this link will answer your question:

Driver

This is what every other person on this website should do. Not just post a "Use the search function in the forums" or a useless "Welcome to Dr1".

Using the search function on this website is as useless as using a spoon to dig a grave in the earth.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
So if one has a valid US license, you have to pay the fees, do the medical, do the written test, get temporary permit good for 45 days, then do a driving test, get the final license? Soon to got through this process so please advise...
thank you

Yes, and if you have no license it is the same procedure. But it is much easier with a connection or going to a driving school and paying extra.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
thank you

Yes that is what I and the 2 people that went with me had to do, here in Santo Domingo.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
thank you

That is what I had to do for my license (except that I did not have to take a driving test at all - your results may vary). As another person mentioned you have to "start from scratch" as a US citizen because the US authorities will not verify US licenses in the manner required by the DR government so that you can trade it for a DR license.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

DR & Will, you both know better than to put any money into anyone's hand here until what is required is complete, or it will be left incomplete or incorrect. But you both know this, just pointing out so the op does not get confused.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If you know how to drive and have ok spanish, both tests are a piece of cake and by doing it the "legal" way, you're sure your licence will actually show up in their system. I originally bought mine but for peace of mind did it the right way a year later. It's one of the easier governmental processes you'll have to do in the DR so I would just block off a few hours and get it done.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
DR & Will, you both know better than to put any money into anyone's hand here until what is required is complete, or it will be left incomplete or incorrect. But you both know this, just pointing out so the op does not get confused.

Both my wife and I did it this way... paid the chofer school ... they hit buttons for us in the test..

Gave the money... he went to BanReservas and then went with us to the POP office.

Two separate trips..... no road test..

I should 'copy/paste' this to my feelgood thread..
Another RD excellent experience

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
The reason that the US Embassy does not "validate" drivers licenses is that there is no national license. Each state issues theirs.