Courier rates?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It seems courier rates have almost doubled over the last 4 years or so. I'm sending some paperwork that's nothing in weight and just envelope sized, the rates I'm getting from fed ex and UPS are around 3 mil. I've a few to send so this is gunna get expensive.
anyone sent anything to Europe (England) recently at a more affordable cost?

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Those are the standard rates these days for the couriers. Air-fare, jet fuel costs, etc. probably has a lot to do with it. Not sure if you have an EPS where you are at but you might check into that. The one in Sosua is much cheaper than the couriers, but I don't use that one for anything important. I find them to be unreliable. It's actually their office in Miami in the States that causes the most problems. They have lost stuff for me in the past, tracked it incorrectly, etc. So I never use them for anything important. But if you have one near you that has an office somewhere in Europe to handle the receipt and you don't have to deal with the Miami office it might be OK. You could start with www.eps-int.com. If you do have one near you, maybe ask around with some of the folks around you how reliable they are.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I use EPS to send letters to the US. Fedex and UPS have always been very high priced in comparison and only use them when I really need fast delivery. I just sent two letters the other day at a cost of $135.66 RD using EPS.

Are you saying the EPS lost letters you sent from the DR to the US, from the US to the DR, or in both directions. I had not heard about any problems with mail with EPS.

Because EPS is more expensive for packages from the US I do not use them for packages at this time. I have never had any courier lose anything yet.

I have no idea about EPS and service to other locations.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i find EPS very reliable albeit expensive. totally opposite to you, then :)
check, and i am not joking, dominican postal office. we have used them recently and everything went well. and the price was lower than anyone else. the service is called priority post or something similar. tracking number and all that.
other than that your only remaining option is to ask a kind dr1er traveling to europe/england to post it for you and pay the cost of postage stamps plus a beer on you.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
windeguy - My issues with EPS have been in both directions. Every time it was the folks in Miami not here in Sosua that didn't enter the stuff in the system correctly on time or whatever. I had a package from FedEx sent to EPS in Miami to come here one time and they said it never arrived in Miami even though FedEx tracking showed it had. After several weeks they finally found it. I have had times where I sent things to the States through them and we know it got to Miami via EPS' own tracking and then Miami lost it. Or maybe it just got lost in regular USPS mail, but in my whole life living in the US I never had as many things lost in USPS mail as when they are sent through Miami EPS. At this point three things have been lost going from here to the U.S., one arrived two weeks late, one thing was lost coming to me here from the U.S. and two things have arrived more than two weeks late for me here. Every time the delay/loss seems to center around the Miami office. I still use them for things I don't consider important but whenever I have something important I pay the extra money to use DHL or another courier.