Is DR a Ponzi Scheme?

Olvidado

Jun 19, 2012
[h=3]DR takes on US$1 billion in new foreign debt per year[/h] Economist Bernardo Fuentes says the Dominican Republic has taken on US$1 billion in additional debt every year since 2008, as reported in Listin Diario. The petrol bill with Venezuela is now at US$3.69 billion, with 14% of all imports falling under the PetroCaribe agreement....

He said that the 2011 tax increase was carried out to correct the government deficit and would contribute RD$63 billion.

**** Tax increase for ever without reducing spending*****
La deuda ha crecido en US$1,000 MM por a?o - listindiario.com

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
The DR is no different than almost any other government. How many other countries does the U.S. give money to even though their own debt is growing? How many of those countries tell little white lies to get the money they get? And what about the US government itself? How much tax money has it misused? In the U.S. a lot of tax money gets put to good use, but it is all too common that taxes are charged for a program that either ends up not making it and the money goes to waste or the money gets redirected into a different program that is not what the taxpayers were originally told those funds would be used for when it was time to vote. Folks, government is nothing more than a business. It's the biggest business in the world. In the U.S. with all of it's checks and balances things are better regulated than in many other countries but they are still not without flaw nor without misconduct. And in parts of Europe where I hear people some people may pay as much as 50% income tax. We could go on and on. But at the end of the day is the government in the DR really doing anything that is so grossly wrong or that different from any other one?

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
DR is no doubt leveraging the "gold in them thar hills." No one lends, even to governments, without some form of collateral.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
What does the IMF use as collateral when it loans money over and over and over again to the DR?

Read this book " confessions of an economic hitman"
The U.S is the major funder of the I.M.F..and when countries take loans they become pawns to the U.S.A for votes in the U.N. to allowing America to set up bases, or allowing U.S. companies to pillage the countries natural resources. Its the biggest scam or theft going.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Read this book " confessions of an economic hitman"
The U.S is the major funder of the I.M.F..and when countries take loans they become pawns to the U.S.A for votes in the U.N. to allowing America to set up bases, or allowing U.S. companies to pillage the countries natural resources. Its the biggest scam or theft going.

I would not have to read the book to guess that. Makes perfect sense for the US to strategically do that. They are not really loans, they are purchasing "rights"..

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
DR is no doubt leveraging the "gold in them thar hills." No one lends, even to governments, without some form of collateral.

that is a dumb statement.do you think govt loans are run like a pawn shop? give us your state jewelry and diamonds to hold until you pay back the money?most of the loans the US makes to other countries are never paid back. The US does however expect something in return,military bases,trade agreements,some other type of commerce,,another know it all internet knucklehead

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
that is a dumb statement.do you think govt loans are run like a pawn shop? give us your state jewelry and diamonds to hold until you pay back the money?most of the loans the US makes to other countries are never paid back. The US does however expect something in return,military bases,trade agreements,some other type of commerce,,another know it all internet knucklehead

Indeed. They are not loans as you and I would normally think of them. It is a bartering system at a government to government level and it is what makes the world go 'round.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I THOUGHT this Site, Thread, was about the "DR", and NOT the USA, and everywhere else???????
If you are so concerned about the USA, go there!
"Apples and Oranges" comes to my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCC

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
The fact is that through loans via the IDB, IMF or World Bank, the USA, which is a major shareholder of these institutions, gains leverage over the recipients of the loans - i.e. third world countries.

Therefore I respectfully suggest that what happens with the USA does indeed impact on the DR.

It could be worse though, we could be in Cyprus, Greece or Spain :nervous:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
ffritz",
Sadly, what you say is VERY TRUE!
I hate them ALL!
My point is, go read the "OP".
It says "NADA" about the USA!
Comparing the DR to other countries, only muddies the Waters".
We all know that when the USA gets a "Cold", thr DR gets "Pneumonia"!
But this useless, "It just as bad in the USA, It's worse in the USA, There are problems EVERYWHERE, not just here in the DR!
Doesn't address the DR's troubles.
I have often use the following analogy when people use the, "It, Worse There, than HERE" excuse.
A guys wife is screwing his best friend, his next door neighbor tells him about it.
The guys responds by saying, "Yeh, BUT, the guy down the block,s wife is screwing his best friend, his cousin, his uncle, and his secretary.
I bet that makes him feel Soooooooooooooooooo much better!
And is just as IRRELEVENT!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
The concept of collateral is that you lend with a reasonable assurance that you will get paid back. Relax. I did not mean that the DR has put their goldmines up as collateral in the sense that Olvidado referred, especially when Canada Barrrick already owns the rights. BTW, I have the title PhD at the end of my name, so if you don't like my posts, stick to the original thread post and do not quote mine in your replies.