Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Many Dominicans Returning From Europe and US With Government Help

From today's Sosua News:

Because of the crisis in Europe and the U.S., more and more Dominicans return to their homeland. Every day, entire families arrive at the International Airport Las Americas in Santo Domingo. Especially Spain has much to suffer from the crisis and is now plagued by high unemployment, especially among the youth.

Unemployment among the Dominicans there is even higher. Firstly because many are there illegally, and because the level of education among Dominicans is very low. They often work in small businesses such as beauty salons, barber shops, cafes, small restaurants or a car wash. Many of them bought an apartment on credit. Now that they are unemployed, they can not pay the mortgage and they are thrown out of their homes. President Danilo has reached out the helping hand in the form of a plane ticket, to return. Also in Sos˙a (Charamicos and Sos˙a Abajo) in recent months dozens of Dominicans have returned from Spain and the USA. Previously they sent money every month to their families in Sos˙a, now they have to hold their hands up with their families.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Good!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the situation really that bad for Dominicans abroad? It seems to be it's the exact opposite in the US. Many Dominicans are still finding it tough to come to the US due to immigration laws.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

it's exactly what the article says. many dominicans in europe or USA overstayed their visas so they cannot apply for any kind of help, as illegal immigrants. sometimes they can but do not know how to. many have very little education, they do not speak the language of their host country well and may have problems finding new employment.

on the other hand some dominicans, who have a good and desirable set of skills will not suffer that much and still do well.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Times are bad everywhere.

I don't mind immigrants in the U.S. and didn't mind it when I lived there. But I did mind illegal immigrants and I did mind when they couldn't speak English. It's one thing to not want to speak English all the time and if you are talking among friends that is fine, but you should know how to speak and read it when you need to. And yes I do have my very own cedula here in the DR and I do speak, read and write Spanish. Maybe I'm not an expert but I can fill out paperwork and talk to government workers.

As dv8 said if they are illegal then the article is spot on. If they are legal and have some schooling and a good job they may still be OK. Even if they didn't have much schooling but were legal they could benefit from government programs just as any other U.S. citizen would as long as they knew what to do. Not knowing English could be a problem for getting some of the needed help.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel bad for the ones who legally got papers and entered the country to work. I feel bad for those who crossed the borders illegally. They did the same thing that the white people did from Europe for hundreds of years which is ok. They entered the USA when it was not theirs and began to work and act like it was theirs.

I do not feel sorry for the ones who are scum and laid down and said I love you which was a lie to get western union money and green cards and visas before they got a divorce or breakup with the person or some crazy crap after they get their visa and green card. The US immigrations knows that the DR has a terrible reputation for being full of dishonest people who fake like they love someone to get their papers to enter the USA. In some cases, elaborate schemes are setup with people lying and cheating and faking for their friend, family or neighborhood member to try to make the foreigner think it is a real relationship just so they can get their papers too or get money sent to them. That type of stuff is sickening to me and those people deserve to go back without work anyway.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Almost all information, especially government information, in the US is provided in Spanish as well as English. (This is a sore spot with many Americans who feel they shouldn't have to "press one" for English.)

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

For those who keep finding these terrible women in the DR doing these things, what do you expect to find at a tourist bar? Here is no different than many other poor countries looking for a way out or something better. If you look for love from a 20 year old at a tourist bar chances are you will get scammed. Heck, if you are 40+ years old living in the U.S. or any European country and look for love from a 20 year old local at the bar chances are you will get scammed.

9. Dislikes johne disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GKLSY View Post
    Almost all information, especially government information, in the US is provided in Spanish as well as English. (This is a sore spot with many Americans who feel they shouldn't have to "press one" for English.)
    Yes indeed. I am one of those Americans.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GKLSY View Post
    LOL. Try being Canadian.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast